Movie Toys! - Page 8

yojoe.com

Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Toys!

If you don't like the movie stuff, consider this a nice break for your bank account. My wallet will surely be taking a breather from all the expedited amassing of 25A figures. I mean, really... Four or five years' worth of figures released in just over a year? That's a heavy load for one toy line. Do I wish they'd just carry on with releasing the more still-unseen classic characters in the 25A style, such as how this line started? Yes, even though it has been a lot of figures. But here's to hoping that even though they aren't going to, at least maybe they'll get back to it after the movie stuff fizzles out.

These movie toys are great for kids... but any GI Joe toy would have been, as well. When they deviate too far from the original story's details, it may as well be a different story all together. I won't accept these toys as "G. I. Joe", not even in the slightest.
    Scot, aka Rooster3D
    Rooster3D at deviantArt. Dig around for GI Joe in 3D!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I always hear that the spring loaded weapons are for the kids, but having a three and a half year old son, he has shown zero interest in the spring loaded launchers on his imaginext and matchbox toys that have them. Even worse, they aren't durable. Despite being used maybe half a dozen times in the past 6 weeks, on one of his toys that has two launchers, only one is still working.

I liked the original images of this movie night raven, even though I was somewhat on the fence about it because it is a single seater (the same reason I don't really like the Conquest), but then I saw that it has a pistol grip and pump action and that is really too much.

As for the Pit, it looks very fragile to me. I have three large dogs that like to charge to the window in my son's playroom, and I can't see this thing lasting a week in my house. It looks too tall and fragile. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'll wait to make a final decision until I see some in-hand reviews, but I just can't seen spending over $100 on something that isn't going to last the 4-5 years that my Joe toys lasted (they probably lasted longer, but I was forced to get rid of them because I was "too old").

The figures look good so far, I'll probably pick up a few of those. Snake Fries will be great for my kids. Beyond that I'll decide on the rest when I see it in person, but anything with spring loaded weapons built-in goes down a notch. If they had to do launching weapons, why couldn't they make it more like the Patriot... the motorized launcher on that thing is fun.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by neapolitan joe
    This is the armageddon of the toy line.
    Because you don't like them?

Well, nobody'll buy this garbage and Hasbro'll lost a big, mega-unique opportunity here.
    They have ruined G.I.JOE high standards...
    Again, because you don't like it? People have different tastes, as evidenced by nothing more than the comments in this thread. Just because you won't buy it, that doesn't mean no one will.

Look, I don't care for a lot of what they've shown, either, but that doesn't mean the movie line won't be a success. There's a lot of positive reaction to these things, as well, and if the movie plays well for kids, it's going to work in our favor. This might not be the best year for some of us to add to our collections, but proclaiming the death of G.I. JOE is a bit melodramatic.

Why they called it "Night Raven"!?
    The logical assumption is that they called it the Night Raven because it is the Night Raven in the movie. Is it based on a variation of a forty-five-year-old aircraft that was retired by the U.S. military a decade ago? No, and it would make absolutely no sense if it was. Is it a Night Raven? Yes, because that's the name Hasbro has given it.

Quote Originally Posted by kessek
    Not sure what the hoopla is over the gun handle on the Night Raven.
    Same here. I'm not a Lockheed Martin engineer, or anything, but I did manage to remove the handle from my Thunderwing.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

For COMPULSIVE COLLECTOR:

1) "Is it based on a variation of a forty-five-year-old aircraft that was retired by the U.S. military a decade ago? No, and it would make absolutely no sense if it was. Is it a Night Raven? Yes, because that's the name Hasbro has given it."

Please do not even talk of the Blackbird (real) or of the Night Raven or Sky Raven (toys)...
    The night raven of the movie is a cheap piece of plastic.

This is THE Raven: http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/show...&imageuser=444

http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/show...&imageuser=444

This is one of the best cockpit in the G.I.JOE toy line: http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/show...&imageuser=444

2) "People have different tastes"
    Ah! Ah! Ah! please, this is not the argument You can say "de gustibus non disputandum est", this is garbage, as everybody (I talk about every expert Joe collector or "lover") can see...

3) "There's a lot of positive reaction to these things..."
    Where!?

Be less compulsive and more collector, my Friend.
    Last edited by neapolitan joe; 02-12-2009 at 01:26 PM.
    VISIT MY NEW COLLECTION AND COMMENT IT :

http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/brow...&imageuser=444

Please do not even talk of the Blackbird (real) or of the Night Raven or Sky Raven (toys)...
    Actually, I will talk about them, because it would have been stupid to put that thing in a movie that takes place ten years into the future.

The night raven of the movie is a cheap piece of plastic.
    Says you. You haven't come any closer to one than I have, so I'll reserve judgment on that until I have one.

Actually, that's the hideous chrome Sky Patrol release, but whatever.

This is one of the best cockpit in the G.I.JOE toy line: http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/show...&imageuser=444
    That is, to use your words, a "cheap piece of plastic" that many people have had to replace because of how often they break or get so loose they won't stay closed.

Ah! Ah! Ah! please, this is not the argument You can say "de gustibus non disputandum est", this is garbage, as everybody (I talk about every expert Joe collector or "lover") can see...
    "Expert" JOE collectors? Give me a break. I've been into G.I. JOE since ARAH debuted in '82, and I happen to like the new Night Raven. You don't? Too bad. Don't buy it. I'll take it over plenty of older vehicles, like the Pogo, Swampmasher, and other ridiculous releases we've seen over the years.

Where!?
    All over this vast network of connected computers we like to call the internet.

Be less compulsive and more collector, my Friend.
    By complaining constantly? No, thanks. When any hobby becomes a constant source of despair for me, it will be time to move on to something else. By declaring G.I. JOE dead because Hasbro plans to release something That doesn't suit my personal tastes? If that was the case, I'd have written the line off when they first put out the original S.H.A.R.C. I don't like the Michael Baybots toys any more than you like what you're seeing here, but they were a huge hit. If this line is even half as successful as those were, it will mean great things for the future of G.I. JOE. I already like what I'm seeing with the Cobra SUV, the Night Raven, and the Motor Viper figure. If you don't like it, save your money, or buy one of those Sky Patrol things. Whatever. Some collectors, believe it or not, would like new additions to G.I. JOE, rather than simply having the same thing released over and over again. I have an ARAH Night Raven; I'd prefer something new over another one of those.

they have on toynewsi.com/gijoe a combat heroes two pack for the gijoe movie from Hong Kong the cobra commander looks like Jason from Friday the 13th movies

Quote Originally Posted by scm
    they have on toynewsi.com/gijoe a combat heroes two pack for the gijoe movie from Hong Kong the cobra commander looks like Jason from Friday the 13th movies
    Take it: http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/...rst-look-7994/

I called movie C.C. "Phantom of the Opera", but "Jason" is good too.

Wow. Didn't see this argument coming.

I like the new Night Raven. I have the old one and it's cool, but this new one is just as cool.

The death of GI Joe for me was the neon characters and GI Joe Extreme. But this new GI Joe 25th......I'm back.

And after going to Hisstank.com and seeing the MARS figs.....dude, this is JUST what I am looking for!
    Last edited by darkforce; 02-12-2009 at 02:35 PM.
    I'm gonna send you home in an itty bitty ditty bag~Sgt. Slaughter
    GI Joe Role-Playing Game:
    http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.p...350#post405350

[quote=Compulsive Collector]"Actually, I will talk about them, because it would have been stupid to put that thing in a movie that takes place ten years into the future."

The new raven is tha bad copy of SIGMA 6 FIREBAT.

"Says you. You haven't come any closer to one than I have, so I'll reserve judgment on that until I have one."

Funny, I think we have eyes for a first judgment.

"Actually, that's the hideous chrome Sky Patrol release, but whatever."

Whatever!? Sky Patrol Sky Raven, a gem, rare more then the Night Raven.

"That is, to use your words, a "cheap piece of plastic" that many people have had to replace because of how often they break or get so loose they won't stay closed."

"Many people", ehm! maybe many children playng in the '80...

""Expert" JOE collectors? Give me a break. I've been into G.I. JOE since ARAH debuted in '82, and I happen to like the new Night Raven. You don't? Too bad. Don't buy it. I'll take it over plenty of older vehicles, like the Pogo, Swampmasher, and other ridiculous releases we've seen over the years."

I talk about the garbage they'll produce and sell instead of the old vehicles with the great standards of the '80 or the cute Transformers of today.

"All over this vast network of connected computers we like to call the internet."

Ah! Ah! Ah!, I'm in Italy, I'm not a primitive, one of us discovered Your great Country! Do You know Italy?
    I have Internet too, I post and read threads on Yojoe.com, Hisstank.com, Joebattlelines.com, Joedios.com, Joecustoms.com: my friend, where is the entusiasm for this garbage in "this vast network of connected, blah, blah..."

"If you don't like it, save your money, or buy one of those Sky Patrol things"

This is the greatest ....... I ever seen here. Sky Patrol stuff is GOLD near the movie garbage.

"personal tastes?"...Mah! Yours, maybe...
    Last edited by neapolitan joe; 02-12-2009 at 02:55 PM.

Dispersed about the country in deep cover
    Gentlemen, gentlemen, please!

I think almost everyone of us would have loved to have seen a perfect live-action recreation of our beloved 80's Joes. But here's the thing, it ain't gonna happen! Maybe in the sequel, but not in this movie.

Like I said in my previous post, my son will be born in May, and this has changed my thinking on lot of life's little issues. I look at it this way. No matter how hard I try to explain to my kid how awesome it was to be 7 years old in 1982, and grow up with all the 80's toys, he (my son) will never fully comprehend my (or, collectively, our) feelings about ARAH G.I. Joe.

That being said, I see this movie as an opportunity for him to fall in love with the entire G.I. Joe product or brand. In five years, I'll be able to watch the movie with him, and hand him the MIB toys from this line. Maybe these toys aren't for me, but that doesn't mean that a new generation can't be introduced to the product. With the 25th line, and all my trips to Target and TRU, I saw very few children walk away from the G.I. Joe aisle with a G.I. Joe in their hand. The 25th line was meant for us, the collectors. The movie and all the product surrounding it is meant for everyone else, IMHO. Personally, I hope it brings much success to the G.I. Joe brand so they can continue to please both the seasoned collector and all the "others".

I will watch the movie, and like I said before, I'll probably enjoy it. Further, when I give my son these toys, he can do whatever he wants to them. This means he'll stay away from my big-boy G.I. Joes, or better yet, he'll learn to respect and enjoy the hobby as I do!

3) "There's a lot of positive reaction to these things..."
    Where!?
    Where, right here. Positivity can come in different forms. I'm positive I would have preferred an ARAH tribute as opposed to the movie that's actually coming out. But I'm also positive that this movie will help the G.I. Joe brand, which is good for all of us.