Do you replace Loose with MOC?

yojoe.com

Do you replace Loose with MOC?

Hello all,

I wanted to kind of get an idea of those out there who collect MOC, but may have loose figs as well.

I collected loose figs since '84. I almost have a complete run from '82-'94. Within the past year and a half, I have been collecting MOC. I have been collecting them at a pretty fast clip. Now I find myself wondering what to do with the loose figs as I find it in MOC.

Do you guys sell off your loose figs? Do you keep them for someday putting together dioramas? I would love to hear ideas.

Thanks all!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I am doing the same thing in my collection. So, to answer your question, I am selling off my loose. It helps justify the expense of some of the mint on card stuff.

I keep both. for some strange reason the MOC figures dont seem to hold any sentimental value for me. while they do look better carded I see them as more of an investment than I do the loose joes and would sell them if I ever needed to but cant bring myself to sell my loose joes.
    They say it is ok to talk to yourself as long as you don't answer. But sometimes you need to have intelligent conversations.
    http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/10394...want-list.html

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbot
    Hello all,

I wanted to kind of get an idea of those out there who collect MOC, but may have loose figs as well.

I collected loose figs since '84. I almost have a complete run from '82-'94. Within the past year and a half, I have been collecting MOC. I have been collecting them at a pretty fast clip. Now I find myself wondering what to do with the loose figs as I find it in MOC.

Do you guys sell off your loose figs? Do you keep them for someday putting together dioramas? I would love to hear ideas.

Thanks all!

Let's see if I have like 3 of a guy and I happen to get a good deal on MOC then I would take 1 of the 3 loose figures and put him in the sell/trade stock. If it is on a guy I only have 1 of and I get a moc then I keep both. My biggest problem is I love all of the vipers and army type builder things so whenever I get good deals on lots or something and there are nice ones included, I want to add them to collective. I feel like I am the Borg new joe you have been assimilated to the collective, resistance is futile. Great concept gijoe meets the borg, how cool would a borg snake eyes be?

I guess you have to look at how you keep your collection too, is it going to be used in a display or will it sit in blister/bags etc in a room of storage bins. It could get crazy expensive to buy acrylic cases for all the moc figures out there, however, it would look real nice.

Quote Originally Posted by dominic.18
    I keep both. for some strange reason the MOC figures dont seem to hold any sentimental value for me. while they do look better carded I see them as more of an investment than I do the loose joes and would sell them if I ever needed to but cant bring myself to sell my loose joes.
    I'm with you dominic.18. I struggle with letting the loose stuff go because I have spent so much time acquiring them. The other pride I take in them is I have tried to collect the best examples. Mickey Mouse Cobra Commander with a perfect logo, bright white Storm Shadow, perfect Silver Pads Grand Slam, Spirit with perfect gold bands, Masked Cobra Commander with perfect gold paint, perfect sigil Viper Pilot, perfect sigil HISS Tank Driver...on and on.

Equally, I am taking much pride in the examples of MOC I am purchasing. I know selling my loose stuff would be totally logical so that I could fund MOC, but at the end of the day I feel like I connect as much with the loose as I do with the packaged.

I just wanted to see what others were doing...

I only dabble in MOC, and tend to want to open them just out of habit. For me moving to a fully MOC collection would mean I grew up too much. For a long time I was MOC for Star Wars and after several years I just felt like I'd have had a better time posing and playing with them. When, after ten years, they have almost all gone down in value even MOC, I can't see why I ever left them sealed. Of course that doesn't apply to ARAH carded stuff which is clearly far, far rarer than 90s Kenner SW toys. Basically, no at this point I would not trade loose examples off to fund a MOC collection. I'd probably get drunk and open them all and blow their value!

I'm now eBaying my loose vintage so I can start buying MOCs. There is something about having them in my hand still on the card that takes me back to when I bought them as a kid. At first it didn't make any sense to sell the 80s stuff in order to buy the stuff on the shelves NOW, but if I'm gonna do MOC I might as well get the figs readily available and cheap than wait til they're gone and I have to pay second market prices.

I have a decent amount of MOC figures (25-30). Most are foreign. I love the look of MOC but I tend to want to open it all. I just opened a complete MOC set of Eco Warriors and Ninja Force. Not that they're worth much but I just prefer to open them so I have a mint copy of the figures. Ironically, Clean Sweep's band was broken when I opened him. As for foreign figures. I leave those carded because I love the look of Brazilian, Chinese and European cards. They're nice conversation pieces.
    I need a big blue door from the Defiant! I have cash and plenty of trade!

I like to have both. The MOCs remind me of all the great memories in the toy store when I was a kid. And the loose ones let me "play" around with them for a few minutes. They both have their place.

I don't do it regularly, but I do it when I don't have to spend too much money. For example, I have a Super Trooper from when I was a kid, but I bought a MISB Super Trooper a couple of months ago. I also bought a MOC Red Star, a figure that I also have loose from my childhood collection. I may continue to do it with less expensive figures, but it's not a set goal for my collection.

I don't have Dusty v.2 loose, but I was able to get a good price on a MOC Dusty v.2. At the time I couldn't find a mint, loose, complete Dusty v.2 figure. The MOC figure was there and so I bought it.