'Letter to Editor' opinion on GI JOE 2009 Convention Set - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I was initially very happy that the show is in KC, as that is where I live and I could buy more of the con sets without the travel expenses doubled in. I try to help fellow collectors out, pick up the set, get them their free exclusive, and buy the souvenirs in exchange for a relatively fair price for my time, hassle, shipping costs, etc, and the right to buy their bagged set as I normally want multiples. The Minneapolis con set and the set from Dallas were my two favorites that I could get a lot of since the original Crimson Strike team is so expensive (have one original set I got off ebay, and 1 1/2 fuschia sets).

That being said I am hugely disappointed in this set. I wanted a Red Shadows/Action force theme ARAH, or if they had done this then did the vipers right in RAH style with correct legs, boots and crotch pieces, and weapons, maybe even a chrome vac helmet front since they can do it, a redone Track Viper, and maybe some other original leader figure besides the overplayed tomax/xamot since this isn't a Crimson Guard team really.

One point to make is that if you are going to go to this con you can pick an older set instead, of course I wonder if you pay the higher $280 versus the original cost of the older con set? Very good question I might have to ask of Mastercollector. If a little higher but better than a set you have little interest in maybe you still get it, maybe you glom on someone else's registration as an aide. I wonder how well these con 25th sets will sell, probably gonzo to the newby's in the game who just love 25th. Don't get me wrong I like the 25th too, but mostly as a supplement to my RAH, and not something I had any desire to see anytime soon at the Joe Con. I so looked forward to some classic RAH styled figures, souvenirs figure sets, etc.

That being said if this wasn't in KC, I doubt I would even go. I will spend some money on the sales floor, maybe buy some more MOTH sets of classic armybuilders if the are cheap enough.

Also this convention is the same weekend as the Kansas City Power Metal Festival so most nights I will be rocking out instead of attending the late night functions.

Can't wait to see/hear the Hasbro seminar and the Roundtable for Master Collector.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by skinny
    Transformers Botcon is done by the same group,and at last year's con the club stated something to the fact that Transformers fans dont care what they get, they are a different breed, while Joe fans are very picky.
    This is a great point. I was disappointed to see sets from some of the recent years' conventions not sell through. Also, very disappointed that GI JOE CC got stuck with excess MOTH stuff. These were high-priced but quality products. I guess too many GI JOE collectors said "we don't want it." I wouldn't be surprised if this year's zero-effort con set is a manifestation of this reality.

Quote Originally Posted by skinny
    Then again its our own fault we get army builders because we are the ones who fill out those surveys every year asking us what we want for con sets.
    I hate to break it to you but there are only so many different ways you can do an army building set.
    GI JOE CC has stated many times at roundtable that they have to do some kind of army-builder set because they cannot produce a boxed set of all unique figures, the cost is just WAYYYY too prohibitive. So, end of story there.

I think there are plenty of good ideas left for army builder sets plus a few unique figures. If I sat down and put my mind to it I could probably think up enough for the next ten years.

If GI JOE CC really wanted feedback on set ideas they should do it not at the con but when people have time in more relaxed environment to really sit down and think over ideas. I never have time at the con to write into one of those surveys some dissertation on a con set idea.

Definitely true, I never get those surveys filled out at the con.

All that being said, I think the surprise decision to be able to use 25th molds is a great decision for them, even if it does sadden me, to a degree. For the last two years now, nothing has been hotter at retail than the 25th line. And quite frankly, not everyone is going to be happy, regardless of what they produce. There are always people that want them to use 25th molds, and people that only want RAH. Personally, I'm not sure how I feel. I've always been a RAH collector, but I really find my focus aimed more squarely at the 25th style lately, so I'm not terribly disappointed. I feel a little bad about no RAH figures this year, but pretty good about getting 25ths. And there is no guarantee that this means they won't end up going back to RAH sculpts either, although I don't know if I truly will be really sorry if that is over.

I can also see the business sense of re-doing the first con set too. It usually shows up as one of the most popular con sets, and was also the most under-produced. Of course, the lack of creativity is disappointing. I would've liked to see some figures a little different, or different figures, but than we would also have people griping about why they changed them. So again, no win situation.

I know the plan was to stay with RAH sculpt, but they would've been fools to by-pass the oppurtunity to do 25th style. The club also made the MOTH sets, which were mostly excellent, and the collectors spurned them too. I predict this set will also turn out to be under-produced, and will quickly sell out.
    Stupidity should be painful.
    She's gone from suck to blow!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It's not so much upset that they are totally copying their most popular set, that's kinda smart business-wise actually. I'm more upset by the total hypocrisy of this. Wasn't it just last year that the club insisted they were going to stick with the classic figure style for their exclusives? I mean, they were specifically asked if they were going to be doing any 25th Ann articulation exclusives and they straight up said NO.

Corey, I'll buy your bagged set from you. That goes for any of you guys, I'll take a set of twins, the baroness, and a few Vipers. I don't really want the whole dozen though.
    Looking for Arctic Commando Snow Serpent, Starduster version A, and 82/83 trooper rifles.

what is the original set that they are re-doing anyways ? anyone got any pics or links ??

Quote Originally Posted by germ
    what is the original set that they are re-doing anyways ? anyone got any pics or links ??
    look in the yojoe archives under the 2002 convention
    Looking for Arctic Commando Snow Serpent, Starduster version A, and 82/83 trooper rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by germ
    2002 G.I.Joe Convention Exclusives

Baroness (v3)
    Dusty (v6)
    Tomax (v3)
    Viper (v7)
    Xamot (v3)

Quote Originally Posted by RedClaw
    2002 G.I.Joe Convention Exclusives

Baroness (v3)
    Dusty (v6)
    Tomax (v3)
    Viper (v7)
    Xamot (v3)
    I forgot how much I liked that set. It is too bad that I do not like the concept of this years set. I have been fortunate enough to go to the last two cons and I have been on the fence about this years. This years set will most likly keep me from going.
    Chris

Done

I will finish out the 25th stuff this year and I am done.

I know the club is repeating itself with this year's set, but I have another reason for not wanting this set. Army builders. Some army builder figures are nice, but not when they make up the majority of a convention set. It's especially disappointing when there's nothing special about the indivdual characters either. At least something like the M.A.R.S. set had two different army builders as well as new versions of established characters. I think the "Tanks for the Memories" set was the best one. It was a good balance of well made character figures and new army builders.

To further annoy, I'm sure that there will be far more interesting, attendee only, figures.