$4.99 petition - sign on. - Page 5

yojoe.com

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I have to agree in part with TYPE*S*TOYS. Granted I do not know anything about the testing part of your conversation, but Joes did cost $5 or just under. I started buying them early 2008, then there was a time period where you couldn't find them ANYWHERE on the shelves here. Once they started reappearing, the price went up a little, and were still scarce. Prices were raised again to what it is now, and they began to stay on the shelves, making most easy to find.

So, that being said, prices have gone up a couple times. And it only makes sense Hasbro raised prices to make a little extra money since they were an obvious hit. I am not griping about the price now, but I will say they maxed out on what I'm willing to pay. If they raise prices again, I will not be buying anymore, except for some favorites if they make them

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TYPE*S*TOYS
    Funny how I bought dozens of them for $5. MSRP on a lot of items are inflated. There is something called street price which is less than MSRP.
    What's so funny about it? You bought them for $4.88 at Wal-Mart, a chain that's known for selling products at prices well below MSRP. They have more stores, so they can sell items for less than their competitors. I'm fairly confident you know this already.

Besides I did stop buying them long ago.
    But you're still complaining about the price?

I did keep buying the comic packs as they were still $9.99 long after the indivual figs went up. I guess Hasbro was just taking a loss on the comic packs right???
    Right, because it should cost exactly double the price of one figure for two figures, even if you don't have to double the space in a case assortment. Right? Transport is a huge factor in the cost of an action figure, and if you can fit twice as many figures into a case, then it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out how you can sell a two-pack for less than the cost of two singles.

I never said nothing else has increased in retail cost. My statement was nothing increased as drastic as Joes have.
    DCUC and DCIH both certainly did, because the price of G.I. JOE figures has only increased by $2. You might not be getting them for $1.11 less than MSRP at Wal-Mart any longer, but the actual MSRP set by Hasbro has only gone up by two bucks.

Funny how most of the products I source from China have actually decreased in cost from what I was paying last year.
    Yeah, it's amazing how everything works differently for you than it does for everyone else.

Also last time I checked oil is a fraction of what it was last year so wouldnt that mean a price decrease.
    Let's try that again: "The initial price increase to $6.99 MSRP happened when the price of oil was through the roof, and economic conditions since then have resulted in the changes in China that I mentioned previously."

It is a hot brand that will only get hotter when the movie comes out and they knew this and thus is the # 1 reason why the price was increased as much as it has (in my opinion)
    Right. Hasbro greedy. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Night Viper
    I have to agree in part with TYPE*S*TOYS. Granted I do not know anything about the testing part of your conversation, but Joes did cost $5 or just under.
    Again, that was because Wal-Mart was selling the figures for below MSRP, a tactic they often employ to draw consumers away from their competitors. That's how they killed the toy store. The MSRP of G.I. JOE figures was $5.99 from the very beginning of the 25th Anniversary line.

So, that being said, prices have gone up a couple times.
    Yes, the price increased from $5.99 to $6.99 in April of last year, and it increased to $7.99 in October (with the Mutt & Junkyard wave). Several retailers have dropped below MSRP again and are selling them for $6.99, but I expect the movie toys to go for full MSRP when they debut this summer.

I am not griping about the price now, but I will say they maxed out on what I'm willing to pay. If they raise prices again, I will not be buying anymore, except for some favorites if they make them
    I've been paying $15 each for DC Direct figures for years, so $7.99 doesn't bother me a bit for figures in this scale. In fact, I wouldn't mind if they jumped to $9.99.

Well, I guess it comes down to how much disposable cash you have to throw around. If you're Richie Rich, then price doesn't matter, but some people draw a line. I never saw them for 7.99, that's BEGINNING to get a little nuts for a figure of this scale.

But I will say this, if the movie figures go for 7.99, they're going to be peg warmers. Minus a couple, and we know who they will be So bide your time, you'll see them on discount racks for 4-5 bucks soon enough. I have yet to come across anyone that is hyped and looking forward to these figures. Let's just hope this doesn't kill any plans Hasbro may have for future releases of original characters

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

[QUOTE=Compulsive Collector]What's so funny about it? You bought them for $4.88 at Wal-Mart, a chain that's known for selling products at prices well below MSRP. They have more stores, so they can sell items for less than their competitors. I'm fairly confident you know this already. [QUOTE=Compulsive Collector]

Most people will find the humor when you continuous argue that 25th Joes have never been sold for $5 yet almost every member on this board has paid this for them.

Walmart is known for selling products well below MSRP? Not sure I believe this. I work in the video game industry and they sell everything for the same price everyone else does (Target, Best Buy, Gamestop). The only difference is you can buy game "A" at Best Buy for $49.99 and the same game at Walmart sells it for $49.88. If this is what you feel "well below MSRP" is then I am clearly mistaken. And just because they have more stores has nothing to do with what they sell items for.
    Last edited by TYPE*S*TOYS; 04-30-2009 at 04:22 PM.
    www.joeparts.com
    check out the largest selection of vintage Joes available on the web

(figures, accessories, filecards, , AFA, trading cards and more)
    KRE-O

Free shipping, International customers welcome
    Pay via paypal, credit cards, check or money order !

[quote=Compulsive Collector]What's so funny about it? You bought them for $4.88 at Wal-Mart, a chain that's known for selling products at prices well below MSRP. They have more stores, so they can sell items for less than their competitors. I'm fairly confident you know this already. [/quote=Compulsive Collector]

Actually, they were also $4.99 at K-Mart and Target during that time as well. Unless you had one of the K-Marts that charge $.50 more for Star Wars and Joe than most K-Marts, there they were $5.49.
    Stupidity should be painful.
    She's gone from suck to blow!

Well, I guess it comes down to how much disposable cash you have to throw around. If you're Richie Rich, then price doesn't matter, but some people draw a line.
    You don't have to be rich to pay $8 for an action figure. Like I said before, if $7 or $8 is too much for some people, maybe it's time for a new hobby.

But I will say this, if the movie figures go for 7.99, they're going to be peg warmers. Minus a couple, and we know who they will be So bide your time, you'll see them on discount racks for 4-5 bucks soon enough.
    I won't wait for the toys to go on clearance. I don't do that with lines I actually have a desire to continue collecting, because it sends retailers the message that there is no interest.

I have yet to come across anyone that is hyped and looking forward to these figures.
    Sure you have. I can't wait for the H2, the new Night Raven, the Gunship, and several of the figures that have been shown in photos recently. In fact, I already have a movie Destro. In addition to me, there have been several posts on this very site expressing a desire to collect the new movie toys. Ignoring them doesn't mean they aren't there.

Most people will find the humor when you continuous argue that 25th Joes have never been sold for $5 yet almost every member on this board has paid this for them.
    Considering I said Wal-Mart sold them for $4.88, you'd have to be dealing with some very serious reading comprehension problems to interpret my posts in such a way. Again, the MSRP set by Hasbro was $5.99 from the very beginning. The price at which Hasbro intended for them to be sold was never lower than $5.99. You bought them for $1.11 less than MSRP at Wal-Mart, because Wal-Mart often sells producs for below MSRP as a means of luring consumers into their store. They earn less profit on one item, but make up for it by getting you to buy more products.

Walmart is known for selling products well below MSRP? Not sure I believe this. I work in the video game industry and they sell everything for the same price everyone else does (Target, Best Buy, Gamestop). The only difference is you can buy game "A" at Best Buy for $49.99 and the same game at Walmart sells it for $49.88. If this is what you feel "well below MSRP" is then I am clearly mistaken.
    What you "believe" is of absolutely no consequence, nor is one category representative of Wal-Mart's business practices as a whole. Working in "the video game industry" clearly hasn't given you any insight as to how the retail world works. Wal-Mart is currently selling 25th G.I. JOE figures for below MSRP. Perhaps I was presumptuous in affording benefit of the doubt in my previous post.

You're right, though. 11 cents isn't much of a break from MSRP. What about $6.17, though?

Resident Evil 5 at Wal-Mart: $53.82
    Resident Evil 5 at Best Buy: $59.99

Doesn't look like they're selling that, "for the same price everyone else does," but what do I know? I don't work in the industry.

And just because they have more stores has nothing to do with what they sell items for.
    Are you serious? How could anyone possibly believe such a thing? Really basic economic principle here: When you buy in bulk, you save money. The more you buy, the more of a discount you can get. The more stores you have, the more you can buy. Really not that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by stad
    Actually, they were also $4.99 at K-Mart and Target during that time as well. Unless you had one of the K-Marts that charge $.50 more for Star Wars and Joe than most K-Marts, there they were $5.49.
    Actually, Target and Kmart sold them for $5.99 from the very beginning. Here is a post from this forum with Target's price. Here is a post on another site with prices for all the major chains from 2007, back when the line was first starting.

[quote=Compulsive Collector]You don't have to be rich to pay $8 for an action figure. Like I said before, if $7 or $8 is too much for some people, maybe it's time for a new hobby.[quote=Compulsive Collector]

I didn't say you had to be rich to pay $8, I said you'd have to be rich to not care about the price of things. If you have no problem paying $15 for a figure, then that's your business.

[quote=Compulsive Collector]I won't wait for the toys to go on clearance. I don't do that with lines I actually have a desire to continue collecting, because it sends retailers the message that there is no interest.[quote=Compulsive Collector]

Obviously it would send a message that there is lack of interest, it's hard to argue in the affirmative about a product when it doesn't sell. I'm not even going to buy them, even from the clearance rack. And I know I'm far from being along on that. I'm going to say this now because I know you'll say it later, yes it's my choice not to buy the movie stuff.

[quote=Compulsive Collector]Sure you have. I can't wait for the H2, the new Night Raven, the Gunship, and several of the figures that have been shown in photos recently. In fact, I already have a movie Destro. In addition to me, there have been several posts on this very site expressing a desire to collect the new movie toys. Ignoring them doesn't mean they aren't there.[quote=Compulsive Collector]

Like I said, I personally have not come across anyone. Except for you now. So it's you and a few other people? People that I read about and hear from don't share your enthusiasm. People looking forward to movie toys are in the minority for sure. If you want to buy them, then go ahead. But don't get me started on that horrible Cobra Commander.

[quote=Compulsive Collector]Considering I said Wal-Mart sold them for $4.88, you'd have to be dealing with some very serious reading comprehension problems to interpret my posts in such a way.[quote=Compulsive Collector]

With comments like that, are you just trying to tick people off? If that's not malicious in intent, I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by Compulsive Collector
    Actually, Target and Kmart sold them for $5.99 from the very beginning. Here is a post from this forum with Target's price. Here is a post on another site with prices for all the major chains from 2007, back when the line was first starting.
    I can't speak for Target, but Kmart did sell them for that, as I bought several there last year when it was still hard to find them regularly.
    Last edited by Lt. Night Viper; 05-01-2009 at 08:45 AM.

I can't speak for Target, but Kmart did sell them for that, as I bought several there last year when it was still hard to find them regularly.
    So your position is that outside of a limited-time sale price, Kmart was selling them for less in 2008 than they were in 2007?

Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Compulsive Collector
    So your position is that outside of a limited-time sale price, Kmart was selling them for less in 2008 than they were in 2007?

Okay.
    Don't ask me, I didn't decide on the price. Just telling you what I paid. Maybe it's just different in your area than mine? And no, it wasn't a limited time sale. Why put something on sale when you can't keep it on the shelf? Almost everytime I stopped in, they had nothing. The few times I did find something was because a worker was stocking the shelf.
    Last edited by Lt. Night Viper; 05-01-2009 at 09:01 AM.

[QUOTE=Compulsive Collector]
    You're right, though. 11 cents isn't much of a break from MSRP. What about $6.17, though?

Resident Evil 5 at Wal-Mart: $53.82
    Resident Evil 5 at Best Buy: $59.99

Doesn't look like they're selling that, "for the same price everyone else does," but what do I know? I don't work in the industry. [QUOTE=Compulsive Collector]

Just so you know we were talking about walmart and not walmart.com. They run as seperate operations. I dont remember mentioning walmart.com in any of my posts? Maybe you are the one that needs some reading comprehension. Just for your information walmart stores has Resident Evil 5 for $59.88 and Best Buy stores has it for $59.99. Take a ride and see for yourself. You are trying to compare apples to oranges.
    www.joeparts.com
    check out the largest selection of vintage Joes available on the web

(figures, accessories, filecards, , AFA, trading cards and more)
    KRE-O

Free shipping, International customers welcome
    Pay via paypal, credit cards, check or money order !