WOW this is getting really old! AFA related. - Page 4

yojoe.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by kurthalsey
    Final Frontier had a Zartan, MIB, not sealed. They wanted like 400 some bucks for it. Now AFA grades unsealed stuff, so Final Frontier sends it in, it grades an 80 Qualified, and now it is 995 bucks.

That is what is sort of silly to me.
    That's what I'm talking about too! It's the same item, but getting it graded hikes the value? That I don't understand. On the other side of the coin, I would understand and agree that it should be worth a little more then the listed price, at least if it's a good grade. But not double or more, that's nuts

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbot
    Interesting topic...

I have to be much more careful when purchasing non-AFA because the sellers idea of mint may not be in line with mine.
    Agreed.

I would have to say that there are examples of both out there. If you're looking for MOC and are tolerant of a few flaws here and there, but something that displays nice, most likely these pieces are not going to be graded anyway. Grading is "usually" reserved for finer pieces. You just have to be patient.
    Agreed. I see a lot of MOC Joes for sale on ebay. A have also seen rare figures AFA graded, even though the grades are very low.

Yes, most of the AFA stuff is going to be more expensive. The genious of AFA is that they are providing a service that lends itself to internet sales and minimizes risk for higher end, quality collectors. Plus I like the extra protection (and look) the sealed acrylic cases provide against my greasy hands. Grading is the natural progression in any hobby that grows in demand and in which condition (beyond MOC) becomes a bigger factor. I compare it to rare coin collecting.
    Agreed.

Personally, I welcome the trend. As we mature and grow, so does our hobby.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by HardaTaq
    As our wallets shrink.
    So very true.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Last_2_Walk
    AFA does not grade resealed items. So you don't have to gamble with an AFA item being tampered with.
    LOL...sure they do. They may not realize they are grading a resealed figure, but they have done so several times. AFA isn't God, they can't know beyond a shadow of a doubt that something hasn't been tampered with. They are human just like you and me. To say something isn't tampered with, just because the mighty AFA doesn't think it is...is just going down that same path of trusting in a third party's OPINION. Unless something comes out of a sealed case, AFA can't know for sure. There are far too many "AFA horror stories" to ignore.

To claim something as fact just based on another human's opinion...foolish.
    Looking for Arctic Commando Snow Serpent, Starduster version A, and 82/83 trooper rifles.

Resigned in Protest
    Hey!

Cool it guys. Seriously, stop flooding and bickering.

To respond to the OP's question, no, I haven't noticed MOC figures being harder to come by. Perhaps they have risen in price, but I can't really attest to that since I have only been seriously collecting MOC/AFA figures for the last two years.

Like many on here I use eBay to get MOC and AFA figures. Lately I have been turning to MOC figures due to the variety of figures available. It does seem like the same AFA graded figures pop up week after week sold by the same large volume toy sellers. MOC figures tend to have more range in what is available which appeals to me because I can purchase a MOC figure and then have it sent to AFA for grading.

I just had a shipment of AFA toys come in and it may sound odd to many on here, but a large part of the pleasure gleaned from the AFA experience was opening the box and to see what grades my toys received. It is weird, I know, but I also get excited when handed back term papers from my professors, so chalk it up to me being a little sick in the head.

Two of my primary concerns about the budding AFA collection that I have were already addressed earlier in this thread. The "legitimacy" of AFA's opinion based upon their questionable past, and the inevitable aging of figures that have already been graded. While there isn't much I can do about the first concern, it is the second concern that makes me question buying further into this hobby.

While I love these toys I am not really interested in having "broken" examples of the toys. If I had an opened collection and an O-ring broke I could repair it, but if a toy is graded, that broken O-ring will be a blighted reminder of the ravages of time staring back at me through an acrylic case. I have only a few early graded Joes, and while they are low AFA grades, the figures themselves are in great shape, but I would be lying if I said that every time I look at those figures I wasn’t wondering when one of their rings would snap.

So I view my collection as a double edged sword. While I love the card art and presentation of MOC/AFA figures I know that the toys will inevitably age and deteriorate. Every time I spend hundreds of dollars acquiring a new piece I wonder if the money is being spent in a foolish way. While that fear hasn’t stopped me yet from continuing with my collection it is getting harder and harder to justify the older figures both due to their high market prices and the extreme fragility of their condition.

One thing I will say for the grading, while having the “official grade” is nice, it is the protective case that I really appreciate. The hard acrylic case makes storing the figures that much easier and removes one concern out of the plethora of concerns involving storing and protecting these antique toys.

I've wanted to get into MOC collecting myself, but the prices are high as a cats back with an AFA grade attached to it, and as stated before, it's increasingly hard to find figures not graded.

It's a double edged sword for sure.