WOW this is getting really old! AFA related.

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thumbs down WOW this is getting really old! AFA related.

So I decided to stop collecting loose figures and go with MOC figures. Well I will find one here and there, but the only real good place to find them is ebay. The only problem is 90% of all MOC figures are AFA graded! This really ticks me off! The reason why is because almost all the sellers on ebay are selling these AFA graded figures for no less than $100.00 each! I just want some decent MOC figures that are not AFA graded! Am I the only one that thinks this way?
    I like pie..

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

thats why I stopped collecting moc figures. I also prefer to have the moc figures in hand before I decide to put down any decent money on them. not every one else's mint is the same as mine. I do still have 91 to 94 carded but thats only cause they are easier to find complete that way.
    They say it is ok to talk to yourself as long as you don't answer. But sometimes you need to have intelligent conversations.
    http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/10394...want-list.html

ohio- right next to the air force museum- which totally rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by dominic.18
    thats why I stopped collecting moc figures. I also prefer to have the moc figures in hand before I decide to put down any decent money on them. not every one else's mint is the same as mine. I do still have 91 to 94 carded but thats only cause they are easier to find complete that way.
    do you have pictures, or a link to your collection? you gotta let me see it.
    Leonard Hofstadter: Once you open the box, it loses its value.

Penny: Yeah, yeah. My mom gave me the same lecture about my virginity. Gotta tell you, it was a lot more fun taking it out and playing with it.

Wants, My Collection, Customs, Project Skinny, my dog eating corn on the cob, my dog weasel, blowing up toys

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I feel the same way to some extent. I understand that many collectors want extremely mint, unopened figures, but it does make it hard for myself--a mostly loose collector who only wants a couple carded figures, but can never afford the AFA-graded, price-gouged versions that periodically appear on EBay.

unfortunately they are all in 18 gallon tubs. I can take pictures of the tubs open but not sure I have the room to pull them all out.
    They say it is ok to talk to yourself as long as you don't answer. But sometimes you need to have intelligent conversations.
    http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/10394...want-list.html

Quote Originally Posted by The Amazing Mutato
    So I decided to stop collecting loose figures and go with MOC figures. Well I will find one here and there, but the only real good place to find them is ebay. The only problem is 90% of all MOC figures are AFA graded! This really ticks me off! The reason why is because almost all the sellers on ebay are selling these AFA graded figures for no less than $100.00 each! I just want some decent MOC figures that are not AFA graded! Am I the only one that thinks this way?
    So your blaming the AFA sellers on ebay because you can't find figures you want?

Did you ever stop to think that these sellers are selling to a specific group of collectors that pay higher prices for graded figures?

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Last_2_Walk
    So your blaming the AFA sellers on ebay because you can't find figures you want?

Did you ever stop to think that these sellers are selling to a specific group of collectors that pay higher prices for graded figures?

I can see that some collectors want perfect mint graded figures, but I think it is unfair for most that just want a good MOC figure (doesn't have to be perfect) to display. That is one of the main reasons I want the MOC figures is for the art.

But I have also been searching a lot of completed auctions, and it seems that the same sellers are relisting the same AFA graded figures over, and over and over again. You think they would be losing money on listing fees. To me the whole graded thing just doesn't make sense.
    I like pie..

Talking AFA related

Not sure that you were aware but you might want to refer to this
    http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=56377

I'm sure the topic will stay open, just keep a distinct respect for the forum rules and things will be cool.
    I sometimes.... can be awesome?

I can see that some collectors want perfect mint graded figures, but I think it is unfair for most that just want a good MOC figure (doesn't have to be perfect) to display. That is one of the main reasons I want the MOC figures is for the art.
    What is unfair? It's unfair that a seller is selling an AFA item to collectors like me who only collect AFA graded toys? Sellers are selling AFA graded items instead of just MOC items.....that is their right.

I see a lot of MOSC Joes for sale on ebay. In fact, when I do a search for AFA Joes vs. MOC Joes on ebay, I get more hits for MOC Joes than AFA Joes?

But I have also been searching a lot of completed auctions, and it seems that the same sellers are relisting the same AFA graded figures over, and over and over again. You think they would be losing money on listing fees. To me the whole graded thing just doesn't make sense.
    Not every item sells on ebay. I've had to re-list an item a few times before it finally sold. It's all about timing.....Am I selling something that somebody really wants.....is what it boils down to.

I can list a 30 day buy it now auction for $.35. Even if I re-listed the item 10 times, that's only $3.50.

What doesn't make sense about AFA graded items? Having a Joe AFA graded make perfect sense to me.

Giggity giggity goo...... Volleydan's Avatar
    I'm another one who has gotten about as much of the loose stuff as I care to and have thought of collecting MOC items here and there. Here's my take on what's going on:

It's true that sellers, especially on EBay, have taken to selling mostly graded MOC items. It's becoming harder and harder to find ungraded MOC Joes. For me, this stinks because I don't want to pay 3-4 times what the item is worth simply because someone else looked at it and gave an opinion on its condition.

The sellers have a perfect right to sell figures like this....after all, they typically sell for higher prices and that's the name of the game for them. I respect that right....but I also have the right to resent it. The items that I want to collect simply aren't available right now, and that stinks for me. There's also the resentment I have as a collector toward those who treat Joes as strictly an "investment".

My only consolation is the knowledge that eventually the small portion of the market that is providing the demand for AFA items will have what they need and then there won't be a demand for these items. Once sellers start losing money on their "investment" in AFA grading, they'll stop having their items graded and not only will non-graded Joes be more readily available, but prices on AFA graded Joes will drop to more realistic levels.
    MapQuest really needs to start their directions on #5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.....