Do you collect female figures? - Page 2

yojoe.com

View Poll Results: Are you getting the female movie figures?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah! I love em!

21 75.00%
  • Yeah but only to have a certain character

3 10.71%
  • Staying away untill I get my 25th style Cover Girl

0 0%
  • Wait, those are supposed to be females?

4 14.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape
    How could anyone think the female Joes were over the top sexually? They were covered from head to toe in fatigues. OK, maybe Lady Jaye had a button undone but still.
    True, perhaps the figures aren't- guess I am just looking at them from an overall character perspective- how many male Joes are running around with skin tight, curve and bustline enhancing uniforms in the comics? I read somewhere that the actress who plays Baroness in the movie had to be assisted onto the set because her suit was so ridiculously tight. There are several illustrations of Scarlett and Baroness in the newer DDP comics that even though they are fully clothed, the pose of the female trooper is somewhat suggestive.

Cheers
    CC
    I'm into Heavy Metal, mayhem and explosions.....

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cmderinchief
    Yeah, I am "absolutely" waiting on a modern era Cover Girl.
    You're aware of the DD comic figure a few years back right?

Quote Originally Posted by Currahee_Chris
    True, perhaps the figures aren't- guess I am just looking at them from an overall character perspective- how many male Joes are running around with skin tight, curve and bustline enhancing uniforms in the comics? I read somewhere that the actress who plays Baroness in the movie had to be assisted onto the set because her suit was so ridiculously tight. There are several illustrations of Scarlett and Baroness in the newer DDP comics that even though they are fully clothed, the pose of the female trooper is somewhat suggestive.

Cheers
    CC
    With respect, I can't agree with your position here. Gung Ho runs around bare-chested, and many male figures over the years have had bare flesh exposed and, to a degree, emphasized by their uniform designs. Yes, Sienna Miller and Rachel Nichols wear form-fitting outfits in the movie. But the movie Cover Girl does not, and she's played by a supermodel. But you can hardly argue that the sculpted rubber of Ray Park's Snake Eyes get-up or the form-fitting suits of the film versions of Duke and Rip Cord (which follow the same basic design aesthetics as Scarlett's) are any less anatomically explicit. And modern comic book artists are notorious for their anatomically-enhanced female characters, but that rarely translates to 3 3/4" plastic.

Is it troublesome that Roadblock's pecs and biceps are emphasized by his tank tops? What about Sgt. Slaughter? Torpedo's wet-suit is certainly form-fitting. Does Jinx's ninja outfit accentuate her anatomy more than Snake Eyes' commando gear? It's your collection and they're your kids, of course, and it's not my place to tell you what's right for either. I just don't see the sort of overt sexuality in the female Joes that you seem to.

In fact, I find it a bit ironic that many collectors dislike the female Joes because they aren't feminine enough. If some of these supposedly "manly" sculpts were put in baggy outfits, would we even be able to tell the character was female at all? And if the designers aren't going to make some effort to distinguish between males and females (showing G.I. Joe as an organization recognizes skill, courage, and patriotism in individuals of both genders), why make the characters female at all?

Frankly, I'd rather have a Scarlett figure with a figure than an androgynous "female" character which conveys the subtle message that only women who look and dress like men can do "a man's job".

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by short-timer; 07-14-2009 at 10:57 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by short-timer
    Is it troublesome that Roadblock's pecs and biceps are emphasized by his tank tops? What about Sgt. Slaughter? Torpedo's wet-suit is certainly form-fitting.
    What about Quick Kick? He's like something from late night Cinemax.

One of the things I've always loved about G.I. JOE is the diversity of the characters, and the 25th/modern/ROC definitely needs more females among the ranks. Not just JOEs, but Cobra, too. Jinx, Zarana, and Zanya are among my top wants of any figures, regardless of gender. It's great to see the introduction of a new character in Helix, and I really hope we'll see more created for the property, but my collection is just begging for those three.

I'd also like to see some female Cobra Troopers and Vipers added to the mix, as well. They can just consist mostly of repaints of existing parts, for all I care, but that's something I really want to happen.