Yo Joe ROC Movie Review - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

GI Joe - Rise Of Cobra the new alternate universe!

Quote Originally Posted by SolidusRaccoon
    Gah, I know I went into this movie with low expectations, I know I should be happy with what we got, but I still feel kings grumpy.
    It might even help to go to the movie without even thinking it is a GI Joe movie at all.

Tell me, you saw the movie, did the technology they use represent modern equipment? Was the "future technology" believeable as becoming reality within the next 10 to 15 years or "declassified"?

I watched a trailer that depicted some kind of attachment forming on the front of a vehicle. It looked like right out of the Transformers movie. I immediately balked. It didn't look like anything I have seen in action today, and therefore I can't believe anything like it would be available or in use a few years from now. It looked like 100% computer generated fantasy Hollywood effects.

Maybe GI Joe can't survive without having a Transformers fantasy tie-in. But I really disliked the Transformers/GI Joe comic book tie-in. It was so lame.

GI Joe was originally great because it was believeable something like that could actually be occurring.

Those suits they wear in this movie, are they anything in use today? The weapons are realistic? What's up with that black suit that the "new Duke" is wearing?

Maybe the bulk of paying moviegoers now judge what is good about movies differently than in the past.

Box office sales sure seem to indicate an immense interest in the movie.

On the one hand I feel bad for anyone expecting familiarity and tying in one "generation" to the next. What you knew about GI Joe, if this new GI Joe movie takes hold, then you don't know anything anymore.

But if the majority of paying moviegoers are paying and EXPECTING dizzying, action intense scene after scene, and this is what the movie delivers, then the moviemaker's firm has successfully captured the budget for the follow-up film. And the GI Joe line will continue on because of it.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That's Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by protozao21
    On Wikipedia, Brendan Fraser is listed as Sgt. Slaughter in his filmography. "Sgt. Slaughter" might still be copyrighted considering he is still alive. In fact, he is hosting Monday Night RAW this Monday.

I'm starting to think of a bunch of half-clueless guys in a room bouncing around ideas about how to make this movie. What was their motive, if not to tell the story that we all know?

Is there an official reason why Sgt. Slaughter was not involved with the new movie?

Why was there a need to include "Sgt. Stone" in place of Sgt. Slaughter? LOL. Someone explain that one to me.

If one views the cartoons as canon like I do, than there were lots of things that don't exist in reality and things that probably never will. They really couldn't use the actual sgt. slaughter... he's just too old now days, plus a possible contract with WWE could make that tricky. sgt. Stone aka Brendan Fraser fit in well though in his cameo.

I just got back from seeing this movie for the second time which I normally never do... it continues to grow on me. I liked it the first time, I think I love it now.

In reality it isn't possible to please all viewers who know the mythos, because there isn't one mythos. Is Scarlett with Duke as the cartoon crowd believes, or with Snake-eyes as the comic crowd believes, how about Ripcord who by the way is now black. I discussed this with a more casual fan who also loved the movie and he said, "I really don't care, this movie was GI Joe."
    Last edited by freak4ll; 08-10-2009 at 12:33 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thumbs down What do people think about the action figures?

What do people think about the action figures?

I was very hesitant to buy any figures before the release of the movie, but after enjoying the movie, I ended up buying seven figures. I decided to buy them because I noticed that figures were being release that I didn't see in the movie, like Shipwreck, Firefly, and Barbeque. ToysRUs seems to have the best deal at two for $10. I bought Ripcord, Shipwreck two versions of Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, a Cobra Eel, and Firefly.

Storm Shadow (Ninja Mercenary)- I am very disappointed by new design with the long jacket. It really limits the movement of the legs. The head sculpt is fine and the weapons are cool, but like for every figure I don't care for projectile launching weapons.

Snake Eyes (Ninja Commando & Paris Pursuit) - I was very pleased with both versions of Snake Eyes. I was most concerned with his visor being loose, It's really secure. The first version is classic snakeyes and I like hat backpack holds the sword. The trench coat on the Paris pursuit is a nice change for Snakes. He looks even more like a badass. Timber is a little scary looking though. I like the previous gray version better..

Ripcord (Delta 6 Accelerator suit) - I didn't think going to like Ripcord in the movie, but he added comic relief that I found enjoyable. Does anybody else feel like his personality/character was a lot like Shipwreck's in the cartoon (Ex: hitting on Scarlett). I think Ripcord looks really cool in his Delta 6 Accelerator suit, which I ended up liking in the movie. The head sculpt is very detailed and impressive, and the removable helmet is a nice touch. I'll probably get the Delta 6 Accelerator suit version w/ helmet of Duke too.

Firefly (Saboteur)- Along with Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow Firefly has always been a favorite of mine. I've really liked the last three or four versions and this continues to kick butt, although it's pretty much the same mold of the last few versions of Firefly. I like the details on his vest, especially the silver Cobra insignia. This figure is a must get. (I wish they had a Mighty Mugg of him.) Did anybody actually see Firefly in the movie?

Shipwreck (Naval Commando) - Shipwreck has always been one of my favorites from the cartoon. In this version he really looks like a commando with his knit cap, black coat, and camouflage pants. His head sculpt is great and he comes with cool accessories including a dive tank, mask, and flippers. This figure is topnotch.

Cobra Eel (Underwater Trooper) - I was really disappointed with this figure, but I really wanted an Eel b/c I missed out on the last version when I restrained myself from buying Joe's. It was a big mistake to get this one. Besides the red shoulders, the figure is completely black. The molding is cool and detailed, but it could have used more red and gray like the classic Eel. The accessories are decent, but the single oxygen tank, is frankly crap. My advice is to avoid buying this one.

I'll probably get a few of the other figures like Duke and Scarlett, but I'm not too impressed by many of the figures. Both versions of Heavy Duty looks awful and I really don't like the new Breaker. I might get Destro, but Cobra commander/Rex,and the vipers look horrible. Even though I liked the Baroness in the movie, I already have way too many versions of her.

It is stated that McCullen needed to use the NATO money to develop them, but then it is shown he has a major undersea base.
    I figured he built the base and the army with the NATO money. He's also a multi-generational arms dealer, supplying weapons and bunkers, as explained by CC.

also if these missiles are his beat all weapon, and he fires all of them to make his point, how does he expect to get his demands?
    We did this in WWII. We built only 2 nuclear bombs and dropped them both on Japan and threatened to drop more, even though we had no more and it would take months to build more if our bluff failed. It didn't and Japan surrendered.
    Last edited by Hammerfel; 08-12-2009 at 01:02 AM.
    Post and view Dios, Photos, Reviews and Files at JoeDios.com
    My Dios - Hammerfel.com/dios

Just saw it with my son and we both LOVED it. I like the new twists, the origins of CC, Baroness, Destro, SE & SS. The action sequences were astounding! I also loved that the good guys didn't always win (Paris, the PITT)! How refreshing! And a villain could be redeemed (Baroness)! That only happened with SS (who was pretending to be a Cobra all along) and Mercer in the comic Joeverse.

And most astounding to me, PEOPLE GOT SHOT and even STABBED! How amazing is that!?! A Neo-Viper even got his head blown off by a grenade!

Plus we got deep back story on

1. Destro
    2. Baroness
    3. Duke
    4. Cobra Commander
    5. Snake Eyes
    6. Stormshadow

and even a little personality and motivation from Scarlett (all science, linguistics, intelligence, resists emotion) and Ripcord (wants to be a fly-boy, digs Scarlett, clumsy but tenacious).

That's more than most movies can fit in 2 hours and still have crazy action. The opening rescue action sequence was insane. Especially Scarlett with her crossbow. It showed how she wasn't super-human and had to adapt and overcome to beat the armored Neo-Vipers. And Duke rescues his bud before going after the WMD's? Show's heart, something the Duke character could use more of.

I just loved it, and so did my 7 year old son. Glad I didn't read all the negativity before seeing it. Cynicism is SO COOL, isn't it?

I do wish the Cobra gunship toy looked more like the movie version, and I also don't like the whole "vow of silence" thing. No Elite unit would allow that kind of thing, but I imagine they did that because they already had 4 characters in the movie get their faces burnt off, they didn't want to push for a 5th and get an R rating.

Quibbles, though. That was a fun movie!

$20 says Ripcord takes on a the new code name "Ace" in the next movie!

I have to say that most of the reviews here have been way too generous to a terrible movie.

I have been a Joe fan since '82, and was really disappointed. It reminded me of that horrible live-action Street Fighter movie. The YoJoe.com review makes a good point that this should be viewed as a "re-imagining" of the characters. But, that's not really what it is because it borrows so heavily from Hama's wonderful storylines (Snake-eyes and Storm Shadow as arch emenies, Destro and the Baroness as lovers - to name some examples). This movie could have been much better if the film makers stayed truer to those comics - like the Nolans did with the Dark Knight comics.

A re-imagining would have been forgivable if it made sense, but this movie does not. Why was GI Joe well established before having a reason to exist, before Cobra existed? Regular armies/ law enforcement can't handle general terrorist threats? It would have been nice to have seen the birth (and recruitment sences) of GI Joe along with Cobra. What was the PITT doing in Egypt? Snake Eyes (arguably most fans' favorite) had no soul. I'm sorry, but Ray Park played him all wrong - Snake Eyes isn't cool because of what he can do to win, but what he doesn't have to do. Also, Cobra assassins broke into Joe command headquarters and left Hawk alive? Huh?

This movie is just a slap in the face for any avid Joe fan. The writers just used established characters to tell their own inane Duke/Baroness gay love story.

Quote Originally Posted by grendalsnowman
    Why was GI Joe well established before having a reason to exist, before Cobra existed? Regular armies/ law enforcement can't handle general terrorist threats?
    Hawk explained this clearly in the movie. They needed a multi-national anti-terrorist force. Imagine a UN that had a spine. That would give you this GI Joe.[/quote]

What was the PITT doing in Egypt?
    Perfect place for a multi-national anti-terrorist force! Right between the Middle East and Europe, and Egypt is friendly to the West.

Snake Eyes (arguably most fans' favorite) had no soul. I'm sorry, but Ray Park played him all wrong - Snake Eyes isn't cool because of what he can do to win, but what he doesn't have to do.
    So he should have done less? Not following you here... I think Ray Park did a great job, considering he couldn't talk and you couldn't even see his face. His body language was his only tool, and he used it well.

Also, Cobra assassins broke into Joe command headquarters and left Hawk alive? Huh?
    I wondered about this, too at first, but then I thought they injected him with nano-mites for later use (next movie).

This movie is just a slap in the face for any avid Joe fan. The writers just used established characters to tell their own inane Duke/Baroness gay love story.
    Have to disagree here. I though the re-imagining was awesome, and the surprises fantastic. Gay love story? Are you sure you weren't watching Brokeback?
    Last edited by Hammerfel; 08-13-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks for the responses Hammerfel, but I still have to disagree somewhat.

1 & 2:
    I know the films makers weren't exactly going for realism, but there are problems with Hawk's explanation. The U.N.'s mission is to to promote and maintain peaceful relations between nations - it's "spineless" because there is no leadership as all nations are equal there. An international army could only maintain peace and security in a non-aggressive way because it too must be leaderless - no one country in command of it.

The PITT being in Egypt is a problem because its violates Egypt's sovereignty - I doubt they, or their neighbors, would look to kindly on an American lead army within their borders. Even if it was an "international" force.

3:
    Yes, Ray Park's Snake-eyes seemed to always be constantly flipping his sword around (he did this with his light saber as Darth Maul too). It may look cool, but doing it in a fight is pointless. It just needlessly expends energy and throws off form. Snake Eyes, I think, would be a more serious and disciplined fighter. I don't know it just bothered me.

Thanks, Hammerfel, I never considered a nanomite injection!

It was a love gay story because the actor who plays Duke is a woman.

Ha! Nice one.

When I said UN-like, I meant multi-national, so the US doesn't have to be the policeman of the world. I didn't mean the "peace-keeping" role. I prefer a more a**-kicking role.

If we could humble ourselves enough to have a truly international Special Forces team, NOT US-led, we could get some cool stuff done. Like maybe clear the Taliban out of Northern Pakistan.

Egypt might be open to a truly international Spec-For team. the US has bases in nearby Turkey, and also Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait and until recently, Kyrgyzstan.

I think the lightsaber duel at the end of Episode I is the best in all of the 6 movies, so you'll have to count me as a fan of flashy sword fighting moves. It's not entirely wasted effort. Those flourishes are often used to disguise the timing of the real strike. Or they're there to look cool.