1st Graded 12" GI Joe Cobra Commander Sideshow Exclusive - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Last_2_Walk
    Good luck on your auction! I hope you make as much money as you can.

There are a lot of AFA haters out there.....brush them off your shoulders.

There is a small group of high-end collectors that collect AFA and Uncirculated figures. This is evident by the fact that you have a bid already!
    If they are such hard-core AFA collectors, wouldn't they have had their own Sideshow Exclusive Cobra Commander graded by AFA? All they would have to do is send the sealed figure from Sideshow to AFA in the same, unopened shipping box.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MikePrime
    If they are such hard-core AFA collectors, wouldn't they have had their own Sideshow Exclusive Cobra Commander graded by AFA? All they would have to do is send the sealed figure from Sideshow to AFA in the same, unopened shipping box.
    High-end AFA collectors do what they want, not what they can!

Why do you assume that every figure submitted for an AFA Uncirculated grade, will receive a 90 or higher? I've seen many examples of Uncirculated figures getting low grades because they were damaged at the factory or during shipping. Normally, the bigger the figure's box, the harder it is to get a high AFA grade. I would rather pay the money, and get a for sure AFA Uncirculated grade, than take a gamble and get a low AFA grade. But I'm sure you already know this, because you have sent figures to AFA before.

High-end AFA collectors do what they want, not what they can!

Why do you assume that every figure submitted for an AFA Uncirculated grade, will receive a 90 or higher? I've seen many examples of Uncirculated figures getting low grades because they were damaged at the factory or during shipping. Normally, the bigger the figure's box, the harder it is to get a high AFA grade. I would rather pay the money, and get a for sure AFA Uncirculated grade, than take a gamble and get a low AFA grade. But I'm sure you already know this, because you have sent figures to AFA before.
    Fools and their money. . . . This isn't some vintage toy, it's just a new figure from Sideshow. What's the big deal about it being AFA graded? Like I said, this is something that a collector can do for themselves.

Sending the figure in its unopened shipping box should already guarantee an uncirculated grade. It would also make sense to send that box in a larger box to insure a safe arrival. AFA would be the first people to remove it from the shipping box.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Fools and their money. . . . This isn't some vintage toy, it's just a new figure from Sideshow. What's the big deal about it being AFA graded? Like I said, this is something that a collector can do for themselves.

Sending the figure in its unopened shipping box should already guarantee an uncirculated grade. It would also make sense to send that box in a larger box to insure a safe arrival. AFA would be the first people to remove it from the shipping box.
    Poor people and their jealousy.....I see 2009 toys being graded all the time. What does a figure being new have to do with sending it to AFA? It might not be a big deal to you, but to some collectors it is. It is up to the AFA collector to decide for himself if he wants to buy a figure already graded, or if he wants to send the figure to AFA himself.

I didn't say the figure wouldn't receive an AFA Uncirculated grade, I said it is not guaranteed to receive a grade of 90U or higher. Most AFA Uncirculated collectors don't want AFA 80 U grades.

OK, so what about the actual examples I gave:
    1. The item was damaged during manufacturing/packaging at the Sideshow factory.
    2. The item was damaged when shipped from Sideshow to the buyer.

Giggity giggity goo...... Volleydan's Avatar
    It's a nice piece and a 90U is a good grade, to say the least. I don't know that it's worth the premium price that's being put on it, but that will be up to the open market in the end.

I do have one sincere question....you make a big selling point of this item being the first and only one ever graded. Does this mean that the value of the item will diminish when someone else has one graded? When it's "one of ten" or "one of fifty" will it be worth less than it is now?

As a buyer (which, to be clear, I'm not in the market for AFA stuff and this is the primary reason) I would be worried about paying a premium for an item that could see its value diminished significantly down the road. I know that "some" risk is involved with collectibles in general, but this seems extra risky.
    MapQuest really needs to start their directions on #5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.....

Poor people and their jealousy.....I see 2009 toys being graded all the time. What does a figure being new have to do with sending it to AFA? It might not be a big deal to you, but to some collectors it is. It is up to the AFA collector to decide for himself if he wants to buy a figure already graded, or if he wants to send the figure to AFA himself.

I didn't say the figure wouldn't receive an AFA Uncirculated grade, I said it is not guaranteed to receive a grade of 90U or higher. Most AFA Uncirculated collectors don't want AFA 80 U grades.

OK, so what about the actual examples I gave:
    1. The item was damaged during manufacturing/packaging at the Sideshow factory.
    2. The item was damaged when shipped from Sideshow to the buyer.
    Why do people like you always say that? I'm just trying to see why anyone would think this is a big deal. It makes no sense to me at all. With the eventual cost of this AFA'd Cobra Commander, I could buy the next four new G.I. Joe figures from Sideshow.

Your examples are possible, but unlikely to actually happen. I got my Cobra Commander is excellent condition

Why do people like you always say that? I'm just trying to see why anyone would think this is a big deal. It makes no sense to me at all. With the eventual cost of this AFA'd Cobra Commander, I could buy the next four new G.I. Joe figures from Sideshow.

Your examples are possible, but unlikely to actually happen. I got my Cobra Commander is excellent condition
    Maybe because we don't like being called fools? I have never insulted a Joe collector that collects loose Joes. I never say to them, "Why do you open your toys and play with them? Are you to poor to afford sealed figures? I can't understand why you would have loose Joes." I respect the fact that there are many different kinds of Joe collectors. Just because I don't collect loose Joes, doesn't mean I have to disrespect somebody who does.

Again, it might not be a big deal to you, but to another collector it might be a big deal to have an AFA 90 U Sideshow CC. If you have no interest in the item, move along. Remember, high-end AFA collectors don't have the same money constraints you might have.

I see to many AFA 80 & 85 Uncirculated grades to ignore this possibility. If my examples are not likely to happen, then I would always see AFA 90,95 & 100 Uncirculated grades.

Have you ever sent any items to AFA?

Maybe because we don't like being called fools? I have never insulted a Joe collector that collects loose Joes. I never say to them, "Why do you open your toys and play with them? Are you to poor to afford sealed figures? I can't understand why you would have loose Joes." I respect the fact that there are many different kinds of Joe collectors. Just because I don't collect loose Joes, doesn't mean I have to disrespect somebody who does.

Again, it might not be a big deal to you, but to another collector it might be a big deal to have an AFA 90 U Sideshow CC. If you have no interest in the item, move along. Remember, high-end AFA collectors don't have the same money constraints you might have.

I see to many AFA 80 & 85 Uncirculated grades to ignore this possibility. If my examples are not likely to happen, then I would always see AFA 90,95 & 100 Uncirculated grades.

Have you ever sent any items to AFA?

Hi Da_Last_2_Walk,

Thank you for your support on this. Think you raise some very valid points. For an example, we have just sent 40+ GI Joe figures for grading, a case being SDCC Hasbro Cobra Commanders, all sealed in a case with star cases to. Non of the figures got a U90 grade not got a U grade as customs opened the box to check the contents! we did get a 90 grade back, the rest got 80 - 85. Just to prove that direct from the factory does not always get you a high grade (just for example AFA 85 ref 14599745 Cobra Leader Blue Suit).

On another quote, the reason the price is high is due to the cost in getting the figure graded, if you see in the pictures we have paid a massive premium to have the figure graded open, which included the extra cost for a custom case, we could have just had the figure graded with the box closed but how boring would that be. We have also had the case UV protected so it can be displayed and not have to be stored in a box.

We have put a massive amount of money into opening a AFA section, which will fill up slowly and wanted a figure that has the WOW factor to open it with. Didn't want to start an argument about it. This is a fantastic figure which we all agree on, its not for everyone but all to there own, like Da_Last_2_Walk says if you want to open you GI Joe toys and play with them, well go on and enjoy it, if you want to have graded figure do that. Whatever you pick just enjoy them.

Thanks once again for all your comments.

Andy, Futurama.shopuk

edit - forget it
    Last edited by dreams deferred; 08-07-2009 at 10:20 PM.

Take a look at the Wraith that sold a couple months back. It was a clear variant uncirculated 10. It sold for around 1000 bucks. You could buy nearly all the 25th figures for that price. However in 20 years graded items will still be uncirculated and graded. It will increase substantially over time, that's a given. Personally I think the CC looks awesome graded. While a U90 is good I wouldn't pay that much for it unless it was a U95. Even if you don't like graded figures you have to admit it looks great in the AFA case.
    I need a big blue door from the Defiant! I have cash and plenty of trade!