How is the market for vintage Joes right now? - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lately, the disparity among what 1)a complete w/fc fig will fetch, 2) complete, and 3) loose with partial or missing accessories seems kind of broad.

Also, it seems like the early '80s figs, like '82-'86 sell for a lot less than they should, and some of the later '80s and '90s figs sell for high.

Overall, my judgment tells me the market is still at low price, but I can't really prove this with stats :| Sometime I want to unload a few early '82 figs, maybe I'll wait until the next movie debuts...
    Last edited by cageyJG; 04-17-2010 at 08:58 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

P.S., I thank my lucky stars I'm not a completist...

It's probably not too hard to wind up one day with over 50% of the given figs for a year just if you're a casual Joe-head, Joe afficionado, etc., so I can see that buying your first lot is probably like a gateway drug.

Quote Originally Posted by cageyJG
    Lately, the disparity among what 1)a complete w/fc fig will fetch, 2) complete, and 3) loose with partial or missing accessories seems kind of broad.

Also, it seems like the early '80s figs, like '82-'86 sell for a lot less than they should, and some of the later '80s and '90s figs sell for high.

Overall, my judgment tells me the market is still at low price, but I can't really prove this with stats :| Sometime I want to unload a few early '82 figs, maybe I'll wait until the next movie debuts...
    That's because in reality, the 80's figure are VERY VERY common. Once you get to about 92, they become much harder to find. Shoot the 89 stuff starts getting hard.

My perception of how hard to find things are changed dramatically after attending a few toy shows and going to a few antique shops. Fact of the matter is, that these are toys, and as the years go by, their value is more likely to decrease than it is to increase. As we all get older, the toys are likely to become more forgotten. There is a "peak" that things will hit (think we've seen it already) and then it's all downhill from there.

If you stop and think about it, Joe's don't truly increase in value. Except those rare figures like Goldhead Steel Brigade. The rest of them have rally just kind of kept up with inflation and RETAINED their value.

However I feel these days are gone.

The economy, and the waining intrest overall in vintage Joes are to blame.

I am speaking in a general way, and sure there are special cases, but overall, your "complete C-9" figures are worth $20 at top dollar in most cases.

For me, hardly worth selling.

There is a point where "nostalgic" just becomes "ancient", and I think we're on the verge of that in the public perception etc.
    Last edited by CobraLALALALA; 04-18-2010 at 12:10 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That's because in reality, the 80's figure are VERY VERY common. Once you get to about 92, they become much harder to find. Shoot the 89 stuff starts getting hard.

My perception of how hard to find things are changed dramatically after attending a few toy shows and going to a few antique shops. Fact of the matter is, that these are toys, and as the years go by, their value is more likely to decrease than it is to increase. As we all get older, the toys are likely to become more forgotten. There is a "peak" that things will hit (think we've seen it already) and then it's all downhill from there.

If you stop and think about it, Joe's don't truly increase in value. Except those rare figures like Goldhead Steel Brigade. The rest of them have rally just kind of kept up with inflation and RETAINED their value.

However I feel these days are gone.

The economy, and the waining intrest overall in vintage Joes are to blame.

I am speaking in a general way, and sure there are special cases, but overall, your "complete C-9" figures are worth $20 at top dollar in most cases.

For me, hardly worth selling.

There is a point where "nostalgic" just becomes "ancient", and I think we're on the verge of that in the public perception etc.
    Very good points made here. Something I have noticed too; and it may just be me, but at least on Ebay, the over-inflated shipping rates go a long way toward reducing the sell-ability of joes in general. I know that it is a gripe found in threads on boards across the internet however when you add that to the waning interest in joes overall, it strikes a serious blow to the value of the whole. Where as some figures would normally go for high dollar, more and more people (based on the low number of bids I see on these kinds of things) are less inclined to spend $10-20 to ship a single figure, regardless of condition; especially if it isn't MOC but even if it is that is a disgusting price to ship.

I mean, if someone has a "rare" figure going for $40 complete for a current bid (that includes a stand if said figure originally came with one; I so friggan hate when a figure is listed as complete but does not have a stand...) I am more likely to bid on it if the shipping is more realistic. If I get the damn thing in the mail after spending $10 on shipping and the price of $1.49 is on there, I get pretty upset.

So, with the stressed economy and waning interest overall, I think that we as collectors have more of an ability to keep the value of figures at least partially intact by avoiding inflated pricing on shipping as well as more common figures. If sellers continue to inflate their prices to try and make a quick buck (just like businesses did during the collapsing economy), the market for joes is going to continue to fall and eventually crash. As buyers, if more of us would refuse to purchase these overinflated things, value might balance out and then perhaps increase a bit as people begin to buy more. While many figures are still quite common, supply and demand would eventually catch up when balance returned.

In the end though, CobraLALALALA is right, these are toys and their value will inevitably decrease. Not a good investment choice to be sure.

The cheap factor is why I really started collecting in the first place. It's a nice way to collect something relatively inexpensive. Getting down to the last 50 figures or so that I need though is getting really annoying. $70 for Payload v1? $150 for Gold Steel Brigade? $50 a piece for frickin' repaint Night Force figures? The darn Ninja Viper suddenly rocketing from about $30 to $60 or $70? It's awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizgillar
    Very good points made here. Something I have noticed too; and it may just be me, but at least on Ebay, the over-inflated shipping rates go a long way toward reducing the sell-ability of joes in general. I know that it is a gripe found in threads on boards across the internet however when you add that to the waning interest in joes overall, it strikes a serious blow to the value of the whole. Where as some figures would normally go for high dollar, more and more people (based on the low number of bids I see on these kinds of things) are less inclined to spend $10-20 to ship a single figure, regardless of condition; especially if it isn't MOC but even if it is that is a disgusting price to ship.

I mean, if someone has a "rare" figure going for $40 complete for a current bid (that includes a stand if said figure originally came with one; I so friggan hate when a figure is listed as complete but does not have a stand...) I am more likely to bid on it if the shipping is more realistic. If I get the damn thing in the mail after spending $10 on shipping and the price of $1.49 is on there, I get pretty upset.

So, with the stressed economy and waning interest overall, I think that we as collectors have more of an ability to keep the value of figures at least partially intact by avoiding inflated pricing on shipping as well as more common figures. If sellers continue to inflate their prices to try and make a quick buck (just like businesses did during the collapsing economy), the market for joes is going to continue to fall and eventually crash. As buyers, if more of us would refuse to purchase these overinflated things, value might balance out and then perhaps increase a bit as people begin to buy more. While many figures are still quite common, supply and demand would eventually catch up when balance returned.

In the end though, CobraLALALALA is right, these are toys and their value will inevitably decrease. Not a good investment choice to be sure.
    Robowang
    TRADE LIST - CLICK HERE!
    BTW--When I came across your post on a TF G1 website about three or four years ago, I thought that your board name was the greatest thing I've ever read. Now. Three years later. I feel the same.
    Long live Robowang. -- Mark Bellomo

I got into collecting for the hobby, not the business. Having said that, if I was to make a few extra bucks to keep the collection growing, I'm all for that. Fortunately, I have been able to continuely grow the collection during "high" and "low" priced times. The current downward trend calls for a stronger "buying" phase instead of a "selling" phase, hopefully giving us a chance to obtain some pieces at a discounted price.

There's less "new" collectors getting into vintage ARAH these days.

Think about, you fondly remember 80's GI JOE but no longer have the toys from your youth...so what to do? Go spend lots of used, hard to find complete and increasingly fragile toys from the 80's or get into 25th (Modern Era) stuff?

GI JOE has hit a Star Wars cycle, the remaking of classic characters and reissue of vehicles gradually nullifies the aftermarket for the earlier releases.

Would you go after the vintage Sears Crimson SMS or get the Target red Hiss and the Wal-mart Heetseek set?

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo

Think about, you fondly remember 80's GI JOE but no longer have the toys from your youth...so what to do? Go spend lots of used, hard to find complete and increasingly fragile toys from the 80's or get into 25th (Modern Era) stuff?

GI JOE has hit a Star Wars cycle, the remaking of classic characters and reissue of vehicles gradually nullifies the aftermarket for the earlier releases.

Would you go after the vintage Sears Crimson SMS or get the Target red Hiss and the Wal-mart Heetseek set?
    I guess it's all personal preference because I only buy original ARAH stuff, none of the reissued stuff. I don't like it at all. I'd pay more for the vintage stuff that I enjoyed and that I like the look of more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo

As far as actual collecting goes (as opposed to kids buying toys to play with), the Sears version is more unique and actually fits the vintage figures better. Also, the current remakes are much more fragile. While the 80's stuff is indeed aging and a good portion of it fragile, I can't see this new stuff lasting nearly as long; not intact anyway.

The thing is, the new stuff does not adequately represent the toys of our youth. Without getting too much into 25th bashing (easy to do), the only thing that it shares with vintage is some names and similar coloring. I would go after the SMS over the UBP Hiss and WM Heatseak any day.

While the remakes may lower the aftermarket value the vintage for some, for others it only increases it. I, and many others would gladly pay more for say a complete vintage Flint over the poor excuse of a 25th re-release. The question is, how much is too much. Obviously the value, at least to the sellers, is still VERY high which will continue to push away buyers; save for those with a lot of blow money from whatever the source.

Unfortunately, there are just too many factors and too many people involved to easily bring the market on joes back in line to where it should be where more new collectors are willing to delve into the vintage line. Like Robowang, it was the cheap factor that got me into collecting in the first place. There is still a vast amount of vintage to be had if only people would realize that they are still toys, regardless of age, and their true monetary value is only so much.

I tend to see the market as rising IMO. I have seen the price of just accessories skyrocket. Just today I "tried" to bid on a lot of nice figure accessories. The seller had seperated the figures, accessories, and filecards into seperate auctions. The 50 or so figs went for 200 and the accessories went for 120. It had 2 SS bows intact, night viper monocle, a few htf airhoses, and other stuff. I had it pegged at 55 and was blown away. A night viper monocle sold for over $20, but I snatched up a 100% fig for $12, weird.

I do buy and sell to make a little side money to buy more joes. The average price has gone up at least 50% but the cost to buy them in a lot has also risen the same amount. The accessories are a joke to try and buy on ebay, so that is why I like to trade here straight up.