What's the Rarest 80's Gi Joe's - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have never really looked into the rarity of GI Joe figures, but I have a few of the ones listed on that site. I have the Ninja Viper, Gold Head Steel Brigade (named Hicks after just seeing Aliens), the Create a Cobra (named SNAKE Viper), Techno-Viper V2, and the original Stalker (sadly both of his straight arms broke off at the shoulder). How much are these figures actually worth?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Giggity giggity goo...... Volleydan's Avatar
    The PDD and the Killer Whale Deep Six are rare, but they were samples and never went into mass production. Ditto the "Tiger Force" Steel Brigade figure, although that one technically came after the original run.

IMO, the rarest production items in the 82-94 line aren't figures, because pretty much all of them are easy to get if you're willing to pay the price. The longest I have ever had to search for any figure is maybe a week or two. To me, the rarest items are vehicles or packaging variations.

The Sears VAMP/HAL set, the Benny's Mudfighter/HISS II set, and some of the mail-away vehicle variants are all far more rare than any of the figures in the line. Likewise, finding a JC Penny set or a "original team" set still in their special packaging is extremely tough to do. Among the rarest items I am aware of are the Cobra Officer and Trooper with the variant weapons. Since these items really only retain their value if they're MIB/MIP, it makes it even tougher.

Other items aren't truly "rare" because you frequently see them on EBay....they're just expensive. The Defiant, Flagg, both Dreadnok sets, most Night Force vehicles, the CAT, and the SMS all fall into this category.

Then you have international Joes, which opens up a whole other category of madness. There are foriegn variants of some figures that I haven't seen for sale in ten years. Now that's rare!
    MapQuest really needs to start their directions on #5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.....

We all know heavy metal mic is the rarest accessory but do any of you think its a rare figure to find in baggie?? have yet to see one.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I thought somebody posted early 80s Snow Job in this thread and as a proud owner I was about to crack a Dom Perignon to celebrate - but the post DISAPPEARED! What the heck...

After clicking some of the links in this post, off I went to E-Bay to have a look-see. Among several similar figs, I found a LOOSE '82 Snake-Eyes for $74.95 w/file-card, satchel and UZI. Ahhh, I love people inflating the prices for figures I own, I highly encourage it.
    Last edited by cageyJG; 09-24-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cageyJG
    I thought somebody posted early 80s Snow Job in this thread and as a proud owner I was about to crack a Dom Perignon to celebrate - but the post DISAPPEARED! What the heck...
    I was half-joking when I posted that a truly white v1 Storm Shadow & Snow Job should be on the rarity/valuable list. You can get a beat-up, yellow Storm Shadow for $5, but a really minty-white one will cost $50 and up (nevermind his accessories). Snow Job, not so much, but I don't see too many white ones in the "wild" (at least the shoulders or forearms are discolored).
    ***cyko's want list and items for sale vintage & new***

Quote Originally Posted by Volleydan
    The PDD and the Killer Whale Deep Six are rare, but they were samples and never went into mass production. Ditto the "Tiger Force" Steel Brigade figure, although that one technically came after the original run.

IMO, the rarest production items in the 82-94 line aren't figures, because pretty much all of them are easy to get if you're willing to pay the price. The longest I have ever had to search for any figure is maybe a week or two. To me, the rarest items are vehicles or packaging variations.

The Sears VAMP/HAL set, the Benny's Mudfighter/HISS II set, and some of the mail-away vehicle variants are all far more rare than any of the figures in the line. Likewise, finding a JC Penny set or a "original team" set still in their special packaging is extremely tough to do. Among the rarest items I am aware of are the Cobra Officer and Trooper with the variant weapons. Since these items really only retain their value if they're MIB/MIP, it makes it even tougher.

Other items aren't truly "rare" because you frequently see them on EBay....they're just expensive. The Defiant, Flagg, both Dreadnok sets, most Night Force vehicles, the CAT, and the SMS all fall into this category.

Then you have international Joes, which opens up a whole other category of madness. There are foriegn variants of some figures that I haven't seen for sale in ten years. Now that's rare!
    You know, I'm proud that I bought what I thought was cool as a kid, and mostly it was stuff that other kids thought was cool, also. I only wish that I hadn't been so against the damn repainted store-exclusives, because they're so valuable now!

I guess that's the whole reason why they are, though......kids just didn't want another repainted vehicle that wasn't featured in the comic or cartoon. I always realized it was a cop-out to re-use and re-paint things like that for store exclusives, and I would avoid buying them.