Question regarding AFA grading...

yojoe.com

Question regarding AFA grading...

I was wondering, for those of you who have had quite a bit of AFA grading done, what is there penalty (if any) for sticker residue left over from a price sticker removal? I've got an awesome 1984 Baroness MOC that's only flaw is price sticker residue in the upper right. Also, do they take elbow cracks and loose O-rings into account on grading the figure?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Depending if there is any tearing of the card due to sticker removal, the card grade can go from an 85 to an 80. If there is just glue residue, Goo Gone should take care removing it.

Yes, the actual figure normally will receive a grade of 70 if the elbows are cracked or the O-Ring is broke.

Is AFA grading really worth it? I just laugh when I go to Hasbrotoystore.com and see all the brand new Joes with the $60 price tag and "AFA Graded 85" in their description.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lord McCullen
    Is AFA grading really worth it? I just laugh when I go to Hasbrotoystore.com and see all the brand new Joes with the $60 price tag and "AFA Graded 85" in their description.
    You can do the math...AFA grading isn't cheap, it used to run about $35 for the basic service, it might be more now. So, if you're looking at a $10 figure, with a $35 service applied to it, it is up to you if you want to pay for the item, or buy your own and have it AFA graded. I think that, for an item you really, like with a grade you're willing to pay for, it is worth just buying a graded item rather than wasting money buying ungraded and getting the grading done with the chance you won't get the grade you're looking for.

On modern figures, it is less of a value issue, but on vintage, better grades tend to equal larger dollar retunrs, even in the depressed market.
    Selling Joes all day onnna' 'bay...
    Armageddon Toys