Why is Snake Eyes so popular? A military theme that went wrong. - Page 3

yojoe.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I really prefer SS as a Cobra guy rather than a Joe.

I´ve recently went through all the Marvel Comics issues and about the middle of the publication, it goes terribly awful. When they start making too much about the ninja thing, things go just crazy. Also, a couple of issues after the Cobra Civil War, it got way too sci fi and less military.

Issues around 1-40 are absolutely awesome. Let alone # 21. It was a whole new way to read an action comic!!!
    "GOT TO GET TOUGH!"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

OK, first off I got no problem with Snake Eyes as a ninja. I think the problem is that most people don't really understand what the ninja were. They were NOT any more cold-blooded killers than modern special forces are, and as for knowning the meaning of Honor, I dare say they understood it BETTER than the samurai.
    You see, in ancient Japan to be a Samurai ment you were shown honor and treated like you were special just because you were Samurai; it was little differant than being a made man. That isn't to say that many weren't deserving of such honor; just that once in you were in and didnt have to prove anything.
    Ninja on the other hand had to follow a simular rule to "Fight Club", you do NOT talk about it; you never reveal that you were Ninja... EVER! They were never honored publicly, never cheered, they just went about their day jobs as fish mongers or whatever, and just blended in.
    In a sense it was kind off appropriate that SE was once drawn in the Spiderman style, as he too never seemed to get the honors and cheering of a Captain America or Mr. Fantastic.
    So my issue isn't that he was a ninja, just that everyone knew he was a ninja. certainly his COs (Hawk and Duke) would need to know, and Spirit probably woulda figured it out, and SS would know of course but everyone else really shouldn't have known about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard
    OK, first off I got no problem with Snake Eyes as a ninja. I think the problem is that most people don't really understand what the ninja were. They were NOT any more cold-blooded killers than modern special forces are, and as for knowning the meaning of Honor, I dare say they understood it BETTER than the samurai.
    You see, in ancient Japan to be a Samurai ment you were shown honor and treated like you were special just because you were Samurai; it was little differant than being a made man. That isn't to say that many weren't deserving of such honor; just that once in you were in and didnt have to prove anything.
    Ninja on the other hand had to follow a simular rule to "Fight Club", you do NOT talk about it; you never reveal that you were Ninja... EVER! They were never honored publicly, never cheered, they just went about their day jobs as fish mongers or whatever, and just blended in.
    In a sense it was kind off appropriate that SE was once drawn in the Spiderman style, as he too never seemed to get the honors and cheering of a Captain America or Mr. Fantastic.
    So my issue isn't that he was a ninja, just that everyone knew he was a ninja. certainly his COs (Hawk and Duke) would need to know, and Spirit probably woulda figured it out, and SS would know of course but everyone else really shouldn't have known about it.
    His status as ninja was quite public, even on resolute.

Anyway, I don´t have a problem with him being a ninja, as long as he acted like one. Ninjas in the 80s-90s looked like hair metal rock stars and they had a sign on their chest that read NINJA and they called themselves so. And so on and so forth.

The concept was a little abused IMO.
    "GOT TO GET TOUGH!"

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ShioN

Anyway, I don´t have a problem with him being a ninja, as long as he acted like one. Ninjas in the 80s-90s looked like hair metal rock stars and they had a sign on their chest that read NINJA and they called themselves so.
    Awesome, quote of the day, +1!!!!

I started to look for pics of the '80s vintage G.I. Joe Halloween costume and I wonder if the smock said "G.I. Joe" on it?
    Last edited by cageyJG; 04-13-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skinny
    Snake Eyes is the Boba Fett of the Joeverse.
    A character surrounded in a lot of mystery and curiosity.
    So everyone was interested in who what he was about.
    With all that shroud of classification in his filecard.
    He hasnt exactly had it easy over the years.
    attack in his cabin, red ninjas attacking later on, being captured by Venom and tortured with the brainwave scanner, being captured by the Baroness after his surgery. Getting re-scarred.
    He was taken down a notch in DDP, Wraith pretty much handed him his hat.
    Hey, I just noticed something. It seems like Snake Eyes, Boba Fett, and Wolverine are all interchangable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce
    Hey, I just noticed something. It seems like Snake Eyes, Boba Fett, and Wolverine are all interchangable.
    Yeah! Just like Dick Army and Dick Sergent, and Frank Burns and Charles Winchester III

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard
    Yeah! Just like Dick Army and Dick Sergent, and Frank Burns and Charles Winchester III
    There is only one Frank Burns.