Original 80's art for sale - Page 3

yojoe.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Who's the artist? What vehicles or characters are shown?
    Last edited by spiderpumpkin; 01-18-2010 at 08:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Guys just respect their wishes. They don't want to share. I'm sure we will see some of these items at the joeintel booth at the con and well be lucky for that. But until then let it go.
    HOME OF THE NYC VIPERS

http://www.tristatevipers.com

Quote Originally Posted by PrimeNYBT
    Guys just respect their wishes. They don't want to share. I'm sure we will see some of these items at the joeintel booth at the con and well be lucky for that. But until then let it go.
    Sounds good.
    Last edited by spiderpumpkin; 01-19-2010 at 03:14 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Volleydan
    There are too many people out there (including a couple here) who are all too willing and ready to use the pictures for their own gain....which devalues the original.

Sorry, but I have to protect the value of my investment. I didn't just spend 3 grand on art just to see it in some other guy's book a couple years down the road....
    Ouch! Accusations! Gotta watch that guys. Besides, I think this is incorrect.

First, any legit publisher verifies that the editor of any book owns (i.e., took himself or by contract) any photos in the book they are about to dump money in. They don't like getting sued for that. And anyone who tried to just take some website photo and plop it into a book clearly doesn't know the law on copyright and would be ripe to be hit with a lawsuit personally as well, so bye bye all that "personal gain." Second, while I totally agree that generally website photos on collector sites that are so unique as art is generally can devalue the work (anyone seen the ebay seller trying to pawn "prints" of Joe Posters?), including if one guy throws it up on his website to sell advertising, I get that too. But generally speaking we are a relatively closed community and would know quickly who owns the art (which is not akin to owning any copyright interest in it to reproduce) and figure out where any photo came from. But actually in terms of investment, in my opinion, once a piece is published in a book its value can really go up (as well as that of others that are similar but not published). Anyone who attends real art events like Art Basel Switzerland, Miami, or New York's Armory Show knows that. That's why people spend $10,000 on an early GIJOE Comic cover and pre-production art ONLY sells in the ballpark you mentioned.

Besides, publisher's aren't buying books on such niche areas like this so the point is moot... at least without the holy grail of art -- the original cover to Issue #1... or the presentation art for Snake Eyes or Storm Shadow, for instance. Or is it?

The beauty of this stuff is that there is still a TON of stuff out there available enough for anyone's pocket book's on this board at least to all have their fill and then some. YEAH!!!!
    WANTED: Rise of Cobra & Retailiation movie memoriabilia (from scripts and production items, props, to movie and billboard banners, store signage and larger items!). TOP $

Hasbro Items: Paperwork & design sketches, ARTWORK, licensing books, promo flyers/slicks, employee items, presentation art.

Licensed Merchandise (non-figure/vehicle) like towels, Coleco ride-on toys (sleds or bicycles) , vintage child clothing, and an original Konami Arcade game.

wow hot topic watch out Oprah she will be here wanting an interview with each of you and make use all of you file those prints on your tax return as capital gain or else some one will take it other then using it in a book. dan you better do the right thing and claim them as they are over the $500 limit. lol lol

Giggity giggity goo...... Volleydan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavieur@aol.com
    Besides, publisher's aren't buying books on such niche areas like this so the point is moot...Or is it?
    Sounds like someone is working on a book of his own....how else would you 'know' what publishers are or aren't buying.

Sorry, Dan. You can spin all the loosely-construed legal arguments you want at me but you're not getting pics of my stuff for your book.
    MapQuest really needs to start their directions on #5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.....

Quote Originally Posted by Volleydan
    You can spin all the loosely-construed legal arguments you want at me but you're not getting pics of my stuff for your book.

I love the Oprah idea. But I think this kind of response is more Maury Povich or yikes, Jerry Springer, or heck, how about the View! I love this "other guy's book" thing too. Hilarious! In reality we just witnessed tens if not hundreds of thousands of people die in Haiti. Life is too short for this sort of response. If you collect to make you happy, great! For investment, fine! To compete with others? I'll pass.

Happy Collecting Everyone!
    Last edited by Xavieur@aol.com; 01-21-2010 at 07:44 AM.
    WANTED: Rise of Cobra & Retailiation movie memoriabilia (from scripts and production items, props, to movie and billboard banners, store signage and larger items!). TOP $

Hasbro Items: Paperwork & design sketches, ARTWORK, licensing books, promo flyers/slicks, employee items, presentation art.

Licensed Merchandise (non-figure/vehicle) like towels, Coleco ride-on toys (sleds or bicycles) , vintage child clothing, and an original Konami Arcade game.

Could someone explain to me why taking pics of this stuff and sharing will devalue it? I've never heard that artwork being showcased or referenced in a coffee table book could actually add or detract from its value.

Is it that important to own something that very few people have seen? What's the point of hiding this stuff from the light of day? Worried about someone stealing the credit for owning something? Big deal. It's already yours. Its in your hands, your house, your secret underground bunker.

What's the big deal with taking a few angled pics, slapping a watermark on there and reading the oohs and ahhs of others?

In reality, you don't really own anything of worldly importance. Its art work for toys. It doesn't contain launch codes or a cure for cancer but please enlighten me as to why they must remain shrouded in secrecy.
    Shop Smart! Shop S-Mart!

Outer Rim Toys and Collectibles

Quote Originally Posted by Xavieur@aol.com
    Ouch! Accusations! Gotta watch that guys. Besides, I think this is incorrect.
    Past performance may not guaranty future performance, but it’s a good place to start from.

And I don’t think Dan named any one in his post, but if any one is offended by it you might want to look at your collecting habits, and ask yourself why.
    I’m not accusing, I’m just saying

Quote Originally Posted by sidiously darth
    Could someone explain to me why taking pics of this stuff and sharing will devalue it? I've never heard that artwork being showcased or referenced in a coffee table book could actually add or detract from its value.

Is it that important to own something that very few people have seen? What's the point of hiding this stuff from the light of day? Worried about someone stealing the credit for owning something? Big deal. It's already yours. Its in your hands, your house, your secret underground bunker.

What's the big deal with taking a few angled pics, slapping a watermark on there and reading the oohs and ahhs of others?

In reality, you don't really own anything of worldly importance. Its art work for toys. It doesn't contain launch codes or a cure for cancer but please enlighten me as to why they must remain shrouded in secrecy.
    You know the value of something can not always be measure in $.

Let me draw you a picture, and its good you only live a few hours away from me. Because you make a perfect example.

Lets say for what ever reason you and I meet-up we become friends. When I bring you in to my “secret underground bunker”. I want to see those oohs and ahhs face to face, and its not some worship me I’m some gi joe god. If that were the case I would be putting up on line and be way more active on boards. Instead it’s a love for this hobby and it’s a love of sharing it with someone who also loves this hobby. When I show it to someone for the first time its like Christmas morning for me and it just fires me up.