Sgt Rock Movie to take place in the future?

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sgt Rock Movie to take place in the future?

This is the dumbest idea I have ever heard.

http://www.joblo.com/sgt-rock-leaves...-in-the-future

FAIL FAIL FAIL!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That is without a doubt the dumbset idea to date. It's just such a terrible thing- not sure if anyone read Billy Tucci's 4 part miniseries he did last year but it was miles ahead of anything done in war comics to date- all historically accurate.

I agree with everyone's thoughts on that joblo.com blog.
    I'm into Heavy Metal, mayhem and explosions.....

I'm not even familiar with the Sgt Rock universe, but when reading the article, I had my kneejerk reaction of, "Why does Hollywood INSIST on drastically changing the source material?"

If you want a movie about a war set in the future, make a movie about a war set in the future. If you want a movie about Sgt Rock, make a movie about WWII. I know they concern themselves with trying to get the largest audience possible, but if you're changing the source material that much, why bother with it at all? Just create a new product.

It's starting to feel like a rare strain of OCD with these producers. Got a story? Change everything but the name, and even then....
    Last edited by r07a23c; 02-03-2010 at 03:22 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've never read any Sgt. Rock comics, so maybe I don't understand what all the fuss is about. WWII is done, it's happened. To shoehorn Sgt. Rock into the events would throw the film into some sort of alternate history, which I think is as done to death as changing the story up.

It's happened with Joe too. Stalker, Storm Shadow and Snakes can't really be Vietnam vets anymore, can they? Well, I guess they could but it'd be a lot less action packed seeing the 60-somethings try kicking Cobra ***.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord McCullen
    I've never read any Sgt. Rock comics, so maybe I don't understand what all the fuss is about. WWII is done, it's happened. To shoehorn Sgt. Rock into the events would throw the film into some sort of alternate history, which I think is as done to death as changing the story up.

It's happened with Joe too. Stalker, Storm Shadow and Snakes can't really be Vietnam vets anymore, can they? Well, I guess they could but it'd be a lot less action packed seeing the 60-somethings try kicking Cobra ***.
    hmm well its like taking Buck Rogers and turning him into a medieval knight, if you take Sgt Rock and place him in the future, the essence of that character and the experiences he had and the trials and struggles of that time period that were portrayed in the comic are lost. It just becomes another soldier story. You are correct though WW2 movies have that "been there done that" quality now.
    another example would be zorro, or tarzan ( Sommers plans on making Tarzan) these are timeless concepts, sure you can do them in the future as a twist but at the same time you are doing the character a disservice, sometimes it works ( Romeo and Juliet) sometimes not, ( Car 54) in the case of Sgt Rock, to put it in the future, would be difficult to emulate what happened to the character, I just don't see Sgt Rock firing a lazer instead of a Thompson. or dealing with the genocide, or the harsh winter weather in the same manner. Sgt Rock at many times was very much a political statement about WW2, more than just a SGT leading troops into battle.

Actually, Buck Rogers as a Medieval Knight would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by MOD
    Actually, Buck Rogers as a Medieval Knight would be awesome!
    who are you? a hollywood producer??

I never read much Sgt.Rock, but even I know he belongs in WWII at the latest

Get rights to franchise===>destroy franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord McCullen
    Stalker, Storm Shadow and Snakes can't really be Vietnam vets anymore, can they? Well, I guess they could but it'd be a lot less action packed seeing the 60-somethings try kicking Cobra ***.
    Set it in the 80s! G.I. Joe was always written with the Cold War as a backdrop.
    I haven't been around much because Facebook is such a time suck. So join me!
    http://www.facebook.com/ambrosekalifornia
    AMBROSEKALIFORNIA'S MOST WANTED
    http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=69678

From the article: "And who might be the mysteriously random threat that the post-modern ROCK will face? I'm betting either aliens, hillbillies or rogue domestic appliances."

Right. Heaven forbid that Sgt. Rock fight Islamic extremists (does any movie hero?) or Red communist invaders. We're too worried about being p.c. so that everyone will like us. Sgt. Rock for president!!1