TOY FAIR 2010: G.I. Joe - The Pursuit of COBRA

yojoe.com

TOY FAIR 2010: G.I. Joe - The Pursuit of COBRA

New figures and vehicles for four new battlegrounds: Desert, City, Jungle and Arctic.

Toy Fair 2010 coverage brought to you by the following fine sponsors: BigBadToyStore.com, PastGenerationToys.com, and Sekaido.com (YesAnimation.com).

In 2010 THE PURSUIT OF COBRA line finds the heroic G.I. JOE team on the heels of the evil and menacing COBRA organization. Beginning in the fall, the G.I. JOE brand embarks in THE PURSUIT OF COBRA in four new battlegrounds: Desert, City, Jungle and Arctic. The new convoy of toys includes covert and technologically advanced 3-inch action figures and vehicles themed to these new assignments. The vehicles are outfitted with surprise attack features and hidden weapons systems and are designed to traverse a wide range of terrains. The vehicle line also includes an updated version of the H.I.S.S. Tank, the iconic vehicle from the 1980s G.I. JOE vs. COBRA saga. THE PURSUIT OF COBRA line will also feature a new packaging look that blends classic elements from the brand's iconic 1980s era with a modern, high-tech aesthetic that embodies the near-future global fantasy.

In addition to new action figures and vehicles, the G.I. JOE toy line introduces two new expressions in 2010. The new G.I. JOE 3-3/4-inch MOBILE MECH Suits feature an exclusive figure and give kids the opportunity to customize new high-tech action figure armored suits to their own specifications. For fast action play the new G.I. JOE 3-3/4-inch RIP ATTACK Vehicles feature a rip launcher to send these new vehicles on their way into the next G.I. JOE vs. COBRA mission.

G.I. JOE products available in 2010 include:

G.I. JOE 3-3/4-INCH FIGURES
    (Approximate retail price: $5.99: Ages: 4 & up; Available: Fall 2010)
    Build your team with over 30 figures to collect in 2010! Collect your favorite characters including SNAKE EYES, STORM SHADOW and DUKE in all new THE PURSUIT OF COBRA Desert, City, Jungle or Arctic themes. All figures come equipped with the high-tech gear they need to battle G.I. JOE or COBRA in any terrain.

G.I. JOE 3-3/4-INCH VEHICLES CLASS A
    (Approximate retail price: $14.99; Ages: 4 & up; Available: Fall 2010)
    These are the smallest and most covert G.I. JOE vehicles. Outfitted with a surprise attack feature, these stealth vehicles also come with a realistic articulated driver that will help guide you through your action-packed THE PURSUIT OF COBRA adventures in the Desert, City, Jungle or Arctic.

G.I. JOE 3-3/4-INCH VEHICLES CLASS B
    (Approximate retail price: $24.99; Ages: 4 & up; Available: Fall 2010)
    These larger vehicles represent the most technologically advanced vehicles in the G.I. JOE vs. COBRA arsenal, including an updated version of the H.I.S.S. Tank, the iconic vehicle from the 1980s. Each is equipped with a hidden reveal weapons system and is designed to traverse a wide range of terrains. All vehicles come with a 3-æ-inch action figure to help steer your team to victory.

G.I. JOE 3-3/4-INCH MOBILE MECH SUITS
    (Approximate retail price: $19.99; Ages: 4 & up; Available: Fall 2010)
    The G.I. JOE MOBILE MECH Suits are a new 3 æ -inch expression for the G.I. JOE toy line. Choose your side, G.I. JOE or COBRA, with these next-gen machines that are one part vehicle and one part armored suit and let the battle begin as the MOBILE MECH Suit becomes an extension of your G. I. JOE action figure. Features interchangeable arms equipped with the latest high-tech gear and an exclusive 3-æ-inch figure that can sit in the cockpit.

G.I. JOE 3-3/4-INCH RIP ATTACK Vehicles
    (Approximate retail price: $12.99; Ages: 4 & up; Available: Spring 2010)
    These powerful new vehicle launchers allow you to take control of the action. Load the vehicle into the launcher, pull the ripcord and watch these vehicles go! Features launcher, vehicle and exclusive 3-æ-inch figure.

G.I. JOE FOAM SWORD ROLE PLAY
    (Approximate retail price: $12.99; Ages: 4 & up; Available: Spring 2010)
    Replicate your favorite Ninja moves with these highly detailed foam swords in the style of SNAKE EYES and STORM SHADOW.

G.I. JOE MASK ROLE PLAY
    (Approximate retail price: $7.99: Ages: 4 & up; Available: Spring 2010)
    Look just like your favorite G.I. JOE character with this collection of cool G.I. JOE masks. Will you be SNAKE EYES or STORM SHADOW?

G.I. JOE SNAKE EYES SWORD AND MASK ROLE PLAY SET
    (Approximate retail price: $19.99; Ages: 5 & up; Available: Spring 2010)
    Gear up and get ready to take on the role of everyone’s favorite Ninja from the G.I. JOE team. With the SNAKE EYES katana-style sword, which features special lights, sounds and a secret dart launcher hidden in the handle and SNAKE EYES mask, kids can play the part of their Ninja hero.

Source: Edited Hasbro Press Release

For a great selection of action figures and collectibles, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, SmallJoes.com, MonkeyDepot.com.
    For a great selection of pop culture t-shirts and apparel, check out TShirtGurus.com and 80sTees.com.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles:

I'll certainly buy these:

Snow Cat
    Cobra Rage
    AWE Striker.

I might buy:

Ghost Hawk
    Doom Cycle

I won't buy:

HISS Tank
    VAMP
    Ice Cutter
    The Mech Suits

Figures:

I'm not really interested in the figures. The red and gray Alley Viper looks interesting, as does the new Snake Eyes with Timber. That's about it, though. I don't care about the Resolute stuff either. They look, dare I say, too cartoony. I hate the dreadlocks on Stalker.

Most of the figures look great.

There are also some interesting vehicles. I still love the new HISS. I guess it's a love or hate thing for most people. Of course, where the interwebs is concerned one wonders how many "OMGTehHISSSuxx0RS!!!111oneoneone" crowd will be the first ones buying it.

That being said, I'm not that impressed with the new VAMP (or whatever it's to be called). I think the CORPs toys has a better four person jeep honestly - the wheels especially look very cheap.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If there are no major changes to anything seen I'll most likely pick up everything. I like the way most of it looks with a few exceptions like resolute baroness. I like the way things are looking for the new line. We already have a new Doc and Shipwreck and alot of new looks for characters we have known for a long time and atleast its not just a bunch of repaints and we get new sculpts for most. These pics are making me wish fall was here to see them on the shelf. When the RoC line was coming out I was on the fence about them and now I have a huge RoC army compiled, so bring on the new figs asap, needed to see some new stuff on the store shelves starting to get get the SHAKES!!!

Giggity giggity goo...... Volleydan's Avatar
    I'm really digging the Ghost HAWK and the AWE Striker. Not so much the HISS and the VAMP. I will make a "game time decision" on the Rage. Early pics looked great, but these look plain.

I never liked mechs, so I will pass on them.

The cycle and Ice Cutter have no roots in the ARAH line so I have no interest in them.

I had high hopes for a redo of the Snow Cat, and I'm pretty disappointed in it so I will pass there too.

Of the figures, I am really stoked about that Beach Head. The Firefly looks great too. Ditto Recondo. I'm going to want one of those HISS drivers too. The Jungle Viper is visually awesome, but it looks more anime than GI Joe.

I barely even looked at Snake Eyes v542,298 or Storm Shadow v155,318 or any of the Dukes, Destros, or Cobra Commanders.

I was excited about the Resoulte packs - until I saw them. Bleh.

Overall, I don't see myself spending much more on new Joe product in 2010 than I did in 2009 (when I spent absolutely -0-). I like some of the stuff that they are doing, but it just doesn't evoke a feeling of nostalgia, which is the primary reason I collect.
    MapQuest really needs to start their directions on #5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.....

I like the Vamp. It is bigger than the original and looks pretty rugged. I will definitely buy one.

I'm a little torn on the HISS. I am glad they are doing a new design, but I'm not sure this is the design I was hoping for. I will buy at least one.

The Rage is one of my favorite Cobra vehicles. I like this one alot. I will buy at least one.

I am burned out on the AWE Striker. But I will buy one.

I like the Snow Cat. Looks pretty close to the original. I will buy one.

I like the Mech suits. I will pick up one of each.

The new Dreadnok cycle looks okay. Not a big fan but I love all things Dreadnoks. So I will buy one.

I guess I'm buying at least one of the all of the vehicle. The single figures are probably about 50% for me. Lots of passes.

Snowcat 2010

Does anyone knows when the new snowcat will be available in Québec Canada?? Thank you

Most of these figures look fantastic! I noticed a lot of drybrushing on the figures in the hasbro press release folder; wonder what the production model will look like? I'm excited to see the Resolute figures in person. I haven't bought a Joe in the stores in over 2 years, maybe it's time to break the fast!

Ben

What to say about the majority of the figures: "O.M.G." Resplendent.

Firefly looks incredible. Duke is great too: Thank you for making him shave.

The arctic tank reminds me of late 90s Storm Shadow's camo. Mechs - I missed them the first time around, will def pick them up. I like the combat in different environments theme: Jungle/Arctic/City/Desert themes. I am a huge fan of all arctic schtuff and I'm thinking desert could be popular. Toss up btwn the arctic tank and the new A.W.E. Striker for my faves - the repaint looks asymmetric, looks to be mud on the tires - looks really good.

Kids are going to be begging their parents for Joes again; I'm sure a lot of these will sell well. They're regaining a warfare over fantasy feel, or so I say based on Duke's gear. I just remember over the latter years seeing so many generic 3.75" SEALs/commandos etc. etc. compete and look more like the "realistic modern military figure."

P.S. On another site, I did notice that the new Transformers are going to be pretty good too. They're making Bruticus (combiners) and an Autobot "capital figure" a la Devastator.

The new hiss I don't care for but I like the design of the new vamp reminds me of the Army's Striker A good update to the classic

Like the redesign on the Skyhawk into the ghost hawk

but another redeco on the Awestriker and snowcat really lame