Want to open my MIB stuff, please advise - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'd be happy to trade you minty loose for your minty boxed.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Robowang
    I've noticed the past year or so that people say they are selling or trading perfect condition figures, and they're not even close.
    It's been going on for years but I guess the problem is getting more and more severe. Frankly speaking in my experience almost all the sellers whom I've bought loose stuff from greatly exaggerated the condition of their items. Them stating a C9 really means at best a C7.

As someone who has opened and assembled 5 MIB and MISB vehicles, do it if that's what you like to do. I really do enjoy assembling the vehicles and applying the stickers. I should say that I didn't pay an excessive amount of money for any of my, formerly, MIB/MISB vehicles. I don't think I would open a really expensive vehicle. One of them is the Chinese version of the Sky SHARC and the other was a mail-away version of the Sky Hawk, both were cheap.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I open all my vintage boxed items, be it Joe vehicles or Visionaries, Starcom, etc. As long as the contents can't be seen, it's gonna get opened. I do this to verify the contents and pack them in additional baggies so that the parts no longer scratch each other (which is a major problem with large parts) and that the sticker sheet and instructions remain flat.

Quote Originally Posted by MikePrime
    As someone who has opened and assembled 5 MIB and MISB vehicles, do it if that's what you like to do. I really do enjoy assembling the vehicles and applying the stickers. I should say that I didn't pay an excessive amount of money for any of my, formerly, MIB/MISB vehicles. I don't think I would open a really expensive vehicle. One of them is the Chinese version of the Sky SHARC and the other was a mail-away version of the Sky Hawk, both were cheap.
    I opened and assembled my MISB Chinese Sky SHARC as well already. Got it cheap too $12, I think. That was easy to open and fun to assemble.

I prefer to buy things MOC and then open them with a razor, just so I can get the card perfect. So many full cards sold on Ebay have that Gray Cardboard Rip of Doom right across the artwork, so its the only way I can guarantee a flawless card to display behind the mint figure. I DO try to buy full cards when I can to avoid lowering the total number of MOCs left, but 99% of them for sale only show the back. Why do they DO that? Meh.
    Signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape
    I prefer to buy things MOC and then open them with a razor, just so I can get the card perfect. So many full cards sold on Ebay have that Gray Cardboard Rip of Doom right across the artwork, so its the only way I can guarantee a flawless card to display behind the mint figure. I DO try to buy full cards when I can to avoid lowering the total number of MOCs left, but 99% of them for sale only show the back. Why do they DO that? Meh.
    Definitely know what you mean. I am wanting to preserve them and not lower the count for collectors who really enjoy them IN the package. But dayng it I think I have decided I will just open them when I get the courage. The Hartop and Payloads are the ones I really dread opening the most because naturally, I paid the most for them. I have a couple on the card too. Nothing major. Techno Viper MOC who has micro cracks on both elbows anyway so I don't really feel bad about that its not really mint anymore to me anyway. But I will post pics as I get the stones up to start opening. So do you leave the bubble or just cut it all the way off with the razor? Does it really matter?

I lay the razor flat and slide it around the edge so it leaves a plastic ring. If done right it's practically smooth.
    Signature.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape
    they do that so they dont have to show you the grey tear on the front.

as long as it's not a super rare item that is very hard to find MOC MIB open it. Are you going to sell it??? if no then who cares what the value is.

now I was in your shoes for a long time, with some of my MOC vintage star wars figures. I am a loose collector but had a couple figures I got MOC and couldn't bring myself to open them ... but one was a Pop up lightsaber R2 D2 and to find him mint and loose and complete was very hard ... and really cost almost as much if not more than if he was MOC. so after about 10 years ... I opened him up ... and let me tell you .... I enjoy that figure so much more now that he is loose and fills that hole in my set, that I would open him again in a heart beat.

now if you plan on selling or think you might sell in the next (lets say 5 to 10) years ... then keep them in the package ... but if they're in your collection and you have no plans on selling ... do what makes you happy ... and if you collect loose ... free those puppies