1985 Airtight Featured in Catalog Mystery

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1985 Airtight Featured in Catalog Mystery

Hello all,

I need help in placing this Airtight figure I purchased a while back. I purchased it from a former Hasbro model maker who kept this from his days at Hasbro. According to this person, this Airtight was featured in a catalog or flyer. He was removed from package for the shoot and stapled back onto his packaging. The back of the card features a "Creative" label which I assume was from marketing. The label reads:

CATALOG: NOV FLYER
    PAGE#: 31
    ITEM#: 6114

Any ideas? Any help finding the catalog or the flyer they are referring to would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Last edited by Bigbot; 06-28-2010 at 09:42 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

How about a retailer pre-christmas catologue or ad? Sounds about right, like Sears, JCP, or TRU.

Makes sense since it is supposed to be a Novenber flyer. I have searched the Sears Christmas catalog for '85, but page 31 does not contain GI Joe. I will have to hunt down more catalogs.

If anyone has them out there I would appreciate a quick look if it's not too much trouble.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

i think the flyer is a pre xmas flyer kinda like a sneakpeak or a mini catalog

Quote Originally Posted by UnKnownSnowTrooper
    i think the flyer is a pre xmas flyer kinda like a sneakpeak or a mini catalog
    Could be, but it would have to be at least 31 pages big. Gosh, this is going to bug me...

A bunch of these were on eBay a few years ago. The seller had quite a few from 1985 series and all of them were opened. Though I don't remember if they were stapled like. I do remember the seller saying they were used for the Toy Fair that year. I guess the packages were all opened and the figures were displayed and photographed, maybe for a pamphlet or catalog used to pass out to retailers? I don't know. but I do remember them saying these were used for Toy Fair.

Poverty's Paradise NM - Home of the Nuclear Holocaust, Green Chile, Pink Skies, & Blue Meth...
    On pages 30 and 31 of the Montgomery Wards 1985 Christmas Catalog, there is a two page GI joe "splash" featuring the USS Flagg. On page 30, Airtight, along with Alpine, BBQ, QK, Dusty and Footloose, is pictured in a small frame photo, offset and imposed over and above the larger Flagg centerfold. The Cobra baddies are also presented in this manner. However, the description for AT, his heroic homies, and the thugs, is on page 31.

http://www.joeintel.com/general_page...UyMTQyMzk1Mg==

Perhaps this is the catalog you're looking for, and although the photos for that Joe/Cobra figure assortment had been plotted for page 31, they were moved to page 30 for aesthetic reasons.

I now that when I look at both pages together, specifically the Flagg spread, I don't see a better place for the two photos of figures than the one that was ultimately chosen.
    Last edited by Super Sport; 07-02-2010 at 06:39 PM.
    I'M A MAC

NEEDED: SDCC Gold PDD, SDCC Blue Suited CC, SDCC TTT SGT. Slaughter, SDCC Starscream, SDCC Shockwave, FSS Nano BATs, FSS Desert Scorpions & FSS CGIs, MISB/UNUSED MIB M.A.S.K. stuff, a factory tachometer for a 65 Chevy Impala, lawyers, guns & money...

Want LiSSt...

TOP FIVE:
    Dondi CIA
    Bates AIO
    Dream TDK
    Jepsy TRD
    Bob Ross PBS

ohio- right next to the air force museum- which totally rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Sport
    On pages 30 and 31 of the Montgomery Wards 1985 Christmas Catalog, there is a two page GI joe "splash" featuring the USS Flagg. On page 30, Airtight, along with Alpine, BBQ, QK, Dusty and Footloose, is pictured in a small frame photo, offset and imposed over and above the larger Flagg centerfold. The Cobra baddies are also presented in this manner. However, the description for AT, his heroic homies, and the thugs, is on page 31.
    the fact that you could track that down is absolutely incredible. I was looking all over, and came up empty. I salute you!
    Leonard Hofstadter: Once you open the box, it loses its value.

Penny: Yeah, yeah. My mom gave me the same lecture about my virginity. Gotta tell you, it was a lot more fun taking it out and playing with it.

Wants, My Collection, Customs, Project Skinny, my dog eating corn on the cob, my dog weasel, blowing up toys

That is awesome!! Now your figure has a claim to fame. Good work finding the ad SS.

dude...Dude...DUDE!!! I thought I would never find out where this came from!!! You found the needle in a stack of needles!

PM me your address...I want to send you something. SUPER SPORT...MAN...I am totally grateful!