Lifelong Fan, New Collector

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lifelong Fan, New Collector

*Disclaimer I know there is a forum channel for AFA stuff, but I would like the opinion of vintage GI Joe collectors. Thanks*

Hi, I have been a GI Joe fan most of my life, but I have just started my collection. In my youth I owned some of the best GI Joe items, Tomahawk, Night Raven, and the one that pains me every time I look on ebay...the USS Flagg. However, I have just started collecting. My collection is pathetic by comparison, but I know everyone has to start somewhere. I have been using yojoe.com and reading the forums for a few months now and there is one question I would love to have everyone's opinion on.

Why are AFA graded items frowned upon by so many GI Joe collectors?

I enjoy both mint/loose/complete and misb items. I also know the price difference went buying loose items and boxed items. I think I would rather have an AFA graded misb item than an ungraded one. If I am going to spend so much money I want to know the misb item is legit. I know there are people that absolutely hate AFA items, but in the modern climate of fraudulent collectible sellers I don't see the "evil" that AFA causes. I read the forums and there are countless threads asking questions on how to tell if things have been tampered with to falsely increase the value. So, with a popular topic being fraud spotting, why is AFA frowned upon by many?
    Current Top Five Wants:

1. Mission Brazil Wet Suit mint right arm
    2. Mint/Loose/Complete Night Force Shockwave
    3. Mint/Loose/Complete UK Tiger Force Tunnel Rat
    4. Mint/Loose/Complete Python Patrol Viper
    5. Mint Shipwreck Waist

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jbs726
    *Disclaimer I know there is a forum channel for AFA stuff, but I would like the opinion of vintage GI Joe collectors. Thanks*

Hi, I have been a GI Joe fan most of my life, but I have just started my collection. In my youth I owned some of the best GI Joe items, Tomahawk, Night Raven, and the one that pains me every time I look on ebay...the USS Flagg. However, I have just started collecting. My collection is pathetic by comparison, but I know everyone has to start somewhere. I have been using yojoe.com and reading the forums for a few months now and there is one question I would love to have everyone's opinion on.

I enjoy both mint/loose/complete and misb items. I also know the price difference went buying loose items and boxed items. I think I would rather have an AFA graded misb item than an ungraded one. If I am going to spend so much money I want to know the misb item is legit. I know there are people that absolutely hate AFA items, but in the modern climate of fraudulent collectible sellers I don't see the "evil" that AFA causes. I read the forums and there are countless threads asking questions on how to tell if things have been tampered with to falsely increase the value. So, with a popular topic being fraud spotting, why is AFA frowned upon by many?
    Moved.

That's a good question. I wonder why collector's hate so much on AFA also. I mean, I don't collect loose Joes, but I don't hate on those that do.

Some collectors hate because they don't like the idea of another person telling them the condition of their items. How dare an independent 3rd party grade their items.

Some collectors have never used AFA's services, but can tell you every "horror" story or every "mistake" that AFA has made. At least AFA takes responsibility for their mistakes, and will buy the items back.

I like the idea of AFA using techniques to very that items are real. Before buying AFA graded toys, I was at the mercy of the sellers description when buying. I bought so many items that didn't look anything like the picture or description. At least when I buy an AFA 80/85, I know what condition to expect.

I support AFA and their services. I don't buy my Joes to resell them(although there's nothing wrong with that), but if I do ever resell them, I hope that because they are AFA graded, I'll get the most I can for them.

Good luck with your AFA collection if you start one. If you ever need any help/advice regarding AFA, feel free to contact me.
    Last edited by Da_Last_2_Walk; 08-06-2010 at 02:57 PM.

AFA is great but i drew the line when i saw afa graded star wars underware lol
    Last edited by UnKnownSnowTrooper; 08-06-2010 at 02:33 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by UnKnownSnowTrooper
    AFA is great but i draw the line when i saw afa graded star wars underware lol
    Seriously!

Linky?

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Last_2_Walk
    Moved.

That's a good question. I wonder why collector's hate so much on AFA also. I mean, I don't collect loose Joes, but I don't hate on those that do.

Some collectors hate because they don't like the idea of another person telling them the condition of their items. How dare an independent 3rd party grade their items.

Some collectors have never used AFA's services, but can tell you every "horror" story or every "mistake" that AFA has made. At least AFA takes responsibility for their mistakes, and will buy the items back.

I like the idea of AFA using techniques to very that items are real. Before buying AFA graded toys, I was at the mercy of the sellers description when buying. I bought so many items that didn't look anything like the picture or description. At least when I buy an AFA 80/85, I know what condition to expect.

I support AFA and their services. I don't buy my Joes to resell them(although there's nothing wrong with that), but if I do ever resell them, I hope that because they are AFA graded, I'll get the most I can for them.

Good luck with your AFA collection if you start one. If you ever need any help/advice regarding AFA, feel free to contact me.
    I don't do AFA but I thought this was a good topic close to my heart. The simple answer IMO is haters are going to hate no matter who you are, where you are, or what you collect. You just gotta be above them and not worry to much about what other people think. I have tattoos all over my body some people love them, some people HATE them and, they are not afraid to voice it. Some people ask if I have been to prison. Others just gawk disgusted. I have had them long enough to let that slip right by me though. They get so mad when I just laugh and keep walking. I DO make it a point to embrace it tightly when someone does like them. It's like my dad always says, among other funny things: Opinions are like a-holes everybody's got one...

The most basic answer can be put into a form of a question. Why is something more valuable to YOU just because of some other person's opinion of it? I don't think an outside agency can tell me what kind of condition my action figure is in any better than I can. So you are basically paying someone else for their opinion. They don't enhance the item in any way, they just give an opinion and an pretty little sticker with it and they profit off of it. Then re-sellers push their AFA stuff at much higher prices as if getting that little sticker somehow increases the rareness or condition of the item. It is no more rare or in any better condition pre-AFA than it is post-AFA.

So IMO, AFA only makes sense for collectors who don't have the ability to judge condition on their own.

Going even further, pushing the OPINION variable a little more...there are all of those legitimate stories of people sending in an item and not liking the grade they got, then they resend the item and it somehow miraculously gets a better grade. WTF? Same item, graded by the same organization twice and getting different grades? Once again, AFA offers no actual service other than offering an opinion.

Paying someone for their opinion is just saying that you don't value your own opinion.

"If I am going to spend so much money I want to know the misb item is legit."

You know how I know my MISB items are legit? I look at them and decide for myself. AFA doesn't automatically make something legit. What's stopping me from removing the scotch tape from some of these new boxes, taking stuff out and putting other stuff back in the box and re-taping it? I could then send it to AFA and have it graded as MIB. They are just people just like you and me. If you can't tell something MIB is legit, then AFA can't either. They can't scan the contents if it's 'sealed'. I've even seen the completely wrong figure in the display window of a MISB vehicle and still get graded as MISB.
    Looking for Arctic Commando Snow Serpent, Starduster version A, and 82/83 trooper rifles.

When you buy a collectable you uy it normally because you like it unless your a dealer. If it goes up in value all well and good I only collect loose stuff I admit I love to play with the joe stuff I have nothing in boxes at all everything is on shelves out of direct sunlight its up to yourself how you organise your collection you dont have to conform to anyone else
    I often buy graded items from the states but there still taken out of the box and the box is digarded you only live once enjoy the collection how you want too.

I know this has been hotly debated on several forums, including here in the past. But in real life I've never met a collector who actually frowns on AFA graded items. It's really just the cost of such items that gives them pause.

Personally I like the way the cases look but think there's a crucial design flaw - they are completely sealed which prevents air/heat circulation. In warmer climates this can be devastating. The temperature builds up such that it becomes like a mini oven and the contents react drastically.

* To a lesser degree the same thing happens with Starcases. But this is easily solved by drilling small holes in them.

Personally I like the way the cases look but think there's a crucial design flaw - they are completely sealed which prevents air/heat circulation. In warmer climates this can be devastating. The temperature builds up such that it becomes like a mini oven and the contents react drastically.

Are the older AFA cases completely sealed or something? According to AFA's faqs their cases have a slight opening in the back.

"Why is the AFA case sealed everywhere except the back?
    The acrylic case is sealed on all sides except for a slight opening at the back of the case at the bottom. We do not seal this edge to allow for air circulation inside the case. If we did not allow for this air circulation, the case would be subject to a "Terrarium" effect. In other words, depending on the temperature, the inside of the case could start to sweat. The unsealed edge alleviates this possibility. The acrylic cases are still considered sealed and the contents cannot be tampered with without being broken open."

Do they still have problems?
    Current Top Five Wants:

1. Mission Brazil Wet Suit mint right arm
    2. Mint/Loose/Complete Night Force Shockwave
    3. Mint/Loose/Complete UK Tiger Force Tunnel Rat
    4. Mint/Loose/Complete Python Patrol Viper
    5. Mint Shipwreck Waist

Oh yeah sorry I forgot about that! Though it doesn't really help due to the poor location - it's in an area which is almost always blocked when you display the item.