Is it ever acceptable to charge $10 for shipping a single loose figure?

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Is it ever acceptable to charge $10 for shipping a single loose figure?

I've seen this so much on ebay recently people charging $8-12 for shipping on single loose figures. It is outrageous.

Can they be reported to ebay for this?
    firefly owns you!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sure if they are shipping next day air!!

All seriousness though. If someone charges that much shipping for a single figure, they are likely to get the minimum bid or none at all. When I am looking for stuff on ebay, I will totally dismiss an auction for shipping that I know is inflated or just adjust my bid. It all works out in the end.

just trying to get passed Ebays fees a little. I see nothing wrong with it. buyers should have the ability to add the shipping cost to their bid to see exactly what it's going to cost. if the shipping is so outrageous, just don't bid.
    Looking for Arctic Commando Snow Serpent, Starduster version A, and 82/83 trooper rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by firefly owns you View Post
    I've seen this so much on ebay recently people charging $8-12 for shipping on single loose figures. It is outrageous.

Can they be reported to ebay for this?
    Priority shipping & delivery confirmation for less than 1 lbs. in a large envelope cost $6.15. Add in bubble wrap, labels, gas, time going to the post office.....then take into account that ebay & paypal are going to pimp you hard.....it might not be right, but sellers will try to make up costs where they can.

Got my ebay invoice for last month $1001.28 i almost threw up (about 14.5% of sales not including paypals hit)

i still dont think its right to overcharge on shipping but i wish someone could challenge ebays monopoly on internet auctions !
    Last edited by WBCollect; 01-08-2011 at 09:06 PM.
    www.wbcollect.com
    All Loose Figures ship FREE to the USA & CANADA
    With a $5 minimum order

Yeah maybe i'm just bitter or something, because when I sell things on ebay I set the lowest shipping price I possibly can. Since I buy a lot of loose figures and other things on ebay I have tons of envelopes i keep from those in varying sizes and boxes the same way that i can reuse. Never really thought of shipping materials being all that expensive.
    firefly owns you!

Quote Originally Posted by firefly owns you View Post
    Yeah maybe i'm just bitter or something, because when I sell things on ebay I set the lowest shipping price I possibly can. Since I buy a lot of loose figures and other things on ebay I have tons of envelopes i keep from those in varying sizes and boxes the same way that i can reuse. Never really thought of shipping materials being all that expensive.
    I buy in bulk, #000 padded envelops and 4x6x2 corrugated boxes. They cost me about .50/ea, plus about .10/ea for the mailing label. I save nearly .50 on the DC# when I print from paypal, so that about washes it out. I charge, $2.95 for the first figure and then $.50 ea after that. I would say I overcharge by about .50-.75 over and above what the cost of mailing and supplies cost me, but I would rather make a little then lose and I don't feel I am ripping anyone off. I have a nice repeat customer base that expects nice figures and good shipping costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Last_2_Walk View Post
    Priority shipping & delivery confirmation for less than 1 lbs. in a large envelope cost $6.15. Add in bubble wrap, labels, gas, time going to the post office.....then take into account that ebay & paypal are going to pimp you hard.....it might not be right, but sellers will try to make up costs where they can.
    Not true. An envelope or box is free from USPS. If you print from paypal the DC is free as well. Your cost is $4.95-$5.20 from paypal for less than 1# depending on the weight category. There are things like newspaper or toilet paper that work in place of bubble wrap. They work too. I save all the bubble wrap and peanuts from packages and reuse to save on costs. I don't think it is right to try and make the seller pay your costs for the auction. Without ebay your old toys would not get the exposure to get the prices ebay alots. This is the price for doing business.

Quote Originally Posted by just_joes_by_mike View Post
    I don't think it is right to try and make the seller pay your costs for the auction.
    I agree with everything you said except for this.
    Looking for Arctic Commando Snow Serpent, Starduster version A, and 82/83 trooper rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by just_joes_by_mike View Post
    Not true. An envelope or box is free from USPS. If you print from paypal the DC is free as well. Your cost is $4.95-$5.20 from paypal for less than 1# depending on the weight category. There are things like newspaper or toilet paper that work in place of bubble wrap. They work too. I save all the bubble wrap and peanuts from packages and reuse to save on costs. I don't think it is right to try and make the seller pay your costs for the auction. Without ebay your old toys would not get the exposure to get the prices ebay alots. This is the price for doing business.
    I never said anything about paying for an envelope or box.

I don't print from paypal, as ink cartridges cost too much, so my delivery confirmation is not free. As I said earlier my cost is $6.15.
    Summary
    Priority Mail® Large Envelope, weight 0 lbs 8 oz, mailed on January 10 after 8:00 AM
    from SALINA KS 67401 to STATEN ISLAND NY 10310
    Mailing SummaryPost Office Cost Priority Mail® $5.45 Delivery Confirmation™ $0.70 Total $6.15

I pack professionally, as I sell expensive items. I do not use toilet paper or newspapers. I use small bubble wrap, large bubble wrap & styrofoam peanuts.

"I don't think it is right to try and make the seller pay your costs for the auction."

Did you mean the buyer? I never said it was right, just stated the fact that it happens.