GIJOE arah 172

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GIJOE arah 172

GIJOE arah 172

***** possible spoilers in thread*****

Well this was quite the tale a lot of action and edge of your seat excitement in this one.
    The team limps back to the Flagg, and the whole way you don't know if it will be Lady Jaye or Darklon who survive, if anyone on that chopper.
    I liked the scenes with LifeLine and BBQ and how they were prepping for the crash.
    Shipwreck at the helm of the Flagg? cute.
    Lady Jaye still in peril.
    The big story here lies in the blue ninjas. They are most interesting characters, much like
    *spoilers!!!* cyborgs
    and the swords they use remind me of the light whips used in the cartoon Lasers in the Night.
    and the biggest event of the whole issue.
    HUGE SPOILER SO STOP READING NOW
    Billy's death

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

can't wait!
    Billy has been killed twice in the original line. I don't believe it.
    Shawn Carden

Rules to win a gunfight
    1. Bring your gun
    2. Invite your friends that have guns too
    3. Don't fight fair

...but will Hama remember he killed him???

...sorry...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Another good issue. This titled has really improved since its relaunch in writing and art. I was a bit worried Larry Hama would get carried away with overpowered/over-the-top ninjas like he did in the 90s, but he seems to be keeping those tendencies in check so far.

The only really knock against this issue was the battle between the blue ninja and the Homeland Security agents. It felt like a page of action was missing after the panel where he surprises them (and apparently took them out), to when the story later picks up with them in the middle of a firefight.

I'm not sold on Billy's death... he got slashed through his artificial leg. That's all, right? It might hurt plenty, but I can't see how would that kill him, especially with the renowned toughness of Arashikage training. If Billy's going to be definitively killed off he deserves a more definitive injury. But then why would Billy and SS play a charade? Who benefits? I dunno, we'll see.

I'm loving the Darklon mission, and the attention being paid to the flight deck crew, along with Lifeline and BBQ. It's great in these issues to be seeing Sneak Peek and Darklon of all people. Hama is very successfully reviving and fleshing out a couple of barrel-bottom characters that I was sure we'd never see again.

I do still wonder whether he was really planning this or whether he fudged out this excellent Sneak Peek story to cover his goof.
    Last edited by '86 Digital Fire; 11-25-2011 at 07:24 PM.

take another look, you can clearly see where the monofilament whatsit, cut through Billy's torso in the one panel, his side is clearly torn open. It looks like a mortal wound.

yes the story evolved from his goof. Hama states over and over that he lets the characters tell the story and he does not know from one page to the next what they will do.
    Last edited by skinny; 11-25-2011 at 09:27 PM.

I see what you're talking about. On the large view it's sort of hard to be sure-- I took it to be his pant leg ripping upward. But on the view where he's falling away and Storm Shadow catches him, he's got a separate belly wound with some shaded stuff flying out. And then his jacket shows a nasty tear while SS is saying Billy's no longer a part of this.
    I missed those details the first time.

Got it today, resisted reading this page 'til today.

Seemed a lot shorter than normal Any rumors coming out of Larry Hama lately? I hope he is getting good reader feedback and motivated to keep blazing away on this project. Does anyone here ever write him or IDW?

Billy - noooo! Don't anyone tell Neapolitan Joe (founder of the Billy petition), he will be crushed.

BEST PART of the book: The dio on the last page... 25th Duke, 25th Scarlett, 25th Roadblock, and ARAH Stalker with an A.W.E. Striker... that rocks. Could that be the next cover?

Quote Originally Posted by '86 Digital Fire View Post
    I'm loving the Darklon mission, and the attention being paid to the flight deck crew, along with Lifeline and BBQ. It's great in these issues to be seeing Sneak Peek and Darklon of all people. Hama is very successfully reviving and fleshing out a couple of barrel-bottom characters that I was sure we'd never see again.
    I hear that. I'm all about buying my first Sneak Peek now, probably will paint him up NF style too.

Quote Originally Posted by cageyJG View Post
    Got it today, resisted reading this page 'til today.

Seemed a lot shorter than normal Any rumors coming out of Larry Hama lately? I hope he is getting good reader feedback and motivated to keep blazing away on this project. Does anyone here ever write him or IDW?

Billy - noooo! Don't anyone tell Neapolitan Joe (founder of the Billy petition), he will be crushed.

BEST PART of the book: The dio on the last page... 25th Duke, 25th Scarlett, 25th Roadblock, and ARAH Stalker with an A.W.E. Striker... that rocks. Could that be the next cover?

there are several dio covers coming up this month for all titles.