MOBAT restoration help

yojoe.com

MOBAT restoration help

I keep forgetting to mention this on here because I feel like a [email protected]$$ for doing it, but if it can help anyone avoid the mistake I did then I guess its worth it . its very easy to find a MOBAT in any condition just about any where, yard sales, flea markets & eBay . of course most of us know the battery cover & the little machine gun on the turret are the hardest things to find, unless your looking for a MOBAT with very good if not excellent sticker placement. well I found one but the motor didn't work so I wanted to do the switch -a- roo with it to get in to better condition. its very easy to dis assemble the tank & put it back together, the mistake I made was in the re assembely. the very front two screws in the front of the tank (on the bottom side ) is where I screwed up. I over tightned them to the point where they but stress marks on the top side of the tank (basicaly 2 white dots in about the worst place) I honestly don't think I put them in very tight , but I was dead wrong ! so upon reassembly please use care to just make the screws "snug" it may not seem as if its enough but I assure you it is. I hope this helps someone avoid the problem I had. So has any one else done this mistake ? just curious

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the heads up, I have a few MOBATs which are in need of some "T´L´C" so I will have to remember that advice on the front set of screws
    Best Regards
    StkhlmDK

Check out http://www.action-force.dk if you want to see my GI Joe/Action Force collection
    YoJoe Collection Profile: http://www.yojoe.com/members/YOJOE0016251
    Flickr Account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Quote Originally Posted by StkhlmDK View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, I have a few MOBATs which are in need of some "T´L´C" so I will have to remember that advice on the front set of screws
    Rene`- its ironic your the 1st to leave a comment

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

He-he, the stuff I bought from you are on route across "the pond" as we speak, looking forward to seeing it sometime next week
    Best Regards
    StkhlmDK

Check out http://www.action-force.dk if you want to see my GI Joe/Action Force collection
    YoJoe Collection Profile: http://www.yojoe.com/members/YOJOE0016251
    Flickr Account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

easy enough to remember- don't screw up too much or you'll screw it up! I'll just screw them in enough to hold the mobat together securely. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by wild weasel tank buster View Post
    easy enough to remember- don't screw up too much or you'll screw it up! I'll just screw them in enough to hold the mobat together securely. Thanks for the heads up!
    yes , very well put . I have struggled with that way of thinking in much of my younger life

I have a quick question to ask. I have a MOBAT and the battery compartment is gone. I found one on the internet, but I think it is for the 1982 MOBAT and I have the 1983 and above MOBAT. The battery cover is not snapping into place. What could be causing this? Thanks for the help.

there are a couple variations for the mobat on the: machine gun, the treads, battery cover & even the little turret (the turret the maching gun goes onto) I have tried several time to mix & match different parts & the only thing I'm aware of is the tank tread & the "mini" machine gun that can be inter changed between various MOBAT types. I hope this helps or that some of you long time collector/dealers chime in a bit to help explain this a little better-Thanks

I got my first mobat right when they came out, and two big problems I remember it having was the treads had no slots in them for the teeth of the drive wheel to fit in, and they slipped and came off on occasion when your turned it. The other problem was the battery cover popped off and dumped its batteries any time it went over a bump.

The next Mobat I got a year or two later had a little slot in each track link so the drive sprockets teeth fit in them, like real tank treads and they never came off unless I took them off. The battery cover was also different and fit much more securely. Seems like this one had something different about the way you shifted the upper turret to make the tank move too, but I cant recall for sure and they are both packed up right now making it impossible to compare them.

This second Mobat had construction identical to the CAT tank from what I recall.

EDIT: forgot to add the answer to the topic :/ Have you tried using a hair drier and heating the spot where the plastic got stretched? Sometimes heating will make the stress area lose the whiteish look, but you have to be very careful not to melt or disfigure anything by getting it to hot. In other words, dont dare use a heat gun. It also might be worth mentioning that my first Mobat had the white dots on the nose from the factory, like the screws had been over tightened. I guess its better than Strato-Viper, a lot of those figures went out with the screw so tight it was stripped out right from the box. Mine and half the extras I bought from buddies around town where stripped like that.
    Last edited by Net-Viper X; 04-09-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive

Quote Originally Posted by navy viper View Post
    So has any one else done this mistake ? just curious
    Yep, and a heat gun fixes it right up... white marks turn green again!

(Heat gun on lowest setting CONSTANTLY waving back and forth. Think: painting with a spray can motion)