30mm scale HISS tank (for wargaming) - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I use smooth-on for all of my casting supplies.
    Smooth-On, Inc. - Mold Making & Casting Materials Rubber, Plastic, Lifecasting, and More

For the hiss I will probably do the main body in a rotocasting hollow form. So its light but still strong and not a solid brick of resin. The details will probably be resin. I might vac-form the canopy if I go the route of a clear canopy. Maybe for version 2.
    -Jason Banditt Adams
    illustrator for the gaming industry
    www.Rogue_artist.com

"Rogue's Galley" webcomic
    www.RGcomic.com

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Another 4 hours into it....

It doesnt look like I did much, but I added the canopy and connected the back of the cockpit to the main body. You cant see it but I also began working on the very back.

That should exemplify how tedious and time consuming scratch building is. Take measurements, make paper pattern, test-fit, adjust few times, cut the actual styrene, glue in place.. etc. piece by piece.

Also...

This photo to give an appreciation of just how small I am working

I also want to thank a couple of fellow Ohio members, Ken and Jeff who have graciously helped me to acquire some of the micro figures With what these two have sold me and what I got on ebay recently, I should have a nice little diorama able to be put together. I cant wait to see how close to scale they will be!
    -Jason Banditt Adams
    www.Rogue_artist.com

www.RGcomic.com

Thats coming along nicely! Cant wait to see it all finished. I was browsing some stuff the other night and came across something that just might make the perfect cockpit window if you decide to do a transparent one at some point.

Do a search on Google for "Lego Hiss Tank" and you will see what Im talking about. CLick the pictures tab and there are two different windows shown on these various Lego tanks. One of them is the right basic shape but its got squared edges and is too angular. The other type of window has the curved front like an actual Hiss and looks like it would work perfectly. Browse the various picture results and you should see a black Hiss on the second row with this window, and a gray Hiss on third row with a big logging chain hanging on the side of it that also has this curved window.

About those mini figures, if they are the same ones that came with the full size figures back in the start of the 90's (Bat, CG, Cobra Trooper etc) then they are a bit taller than Warhammer minis and reminded me of those green army men that come in the big bucket.

Edit: I also got some new resin on order, so when it gets here I will begin casting some more parts. The new generation Viper legs are about half finished, and I have started the head, arms and torso for a Tele-Viper to act as a Comm link trooper.
    Last edited by Net-Viper X; 05-12-2011 at 05:01 PM.
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Holy cow! I see what you are seeing with that LEGO HISS! Ill be darned!
    G.I. Joe Forum Discussions at The Terror Drome » View topic - Lego Hiss Tank

I just got the first couple of micro figures in the mail. they are a bit taller but still make me smile to no end

Hopefully I will have my HISS done next week. My son's birthday is this weekend and Ive been busting bum on his present. Ill post pics of that after the party. You will see why my time is so split and why Ive been staying up until 6AM the last couple nights.....
    -Jason Banditt Adams
    www.Rogue_artist.com

www.RGcomic.com

Hi guys amazing work! If either of you ever want to let any of these go ill gladly buy them! I have tried so many times to make a Cobra IG army.

Just a question tho how would you guys create a cobra force with a minimal application of skill?