To Open or Not to open! 1984/85 Storm Shadow - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Open! Open! Open!

Open it! Toys are meant to be played with.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PythonPatrolforSale View Post
    If you open it you are doing a disservice to the entire GI Joe community. Part of collecting is preservation and history. You can always open a figure. You can never put one back into the original package.

There are thousands of loose Storm Shadows out there. There are probably barely 100 unopened Storm Shadows left--if not far fewer. Leave it sealed. Don't take away from the few sealed Storm Shadows that are left; aging, little kids, and impatient/impulsive collectors are already decreasing the number of sealed Storm Shadows every year as it is. Don't open it!
    You would make a good lawyer. This was almost as good as Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman or And Justice for All. You definitely brought me over to your side. However, someone could still use the Chewbacca defense... and there are a lot of good arguments in here. What would the lawyer from The Boy in the Plastic Bubble say...

Only 100 left MOC? I wonder how many MOC 1984 Storm Shadows have been graded by AFA?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If you open it you are doing a disservice to the entire GI Joe community. Part of collecting is preservation and history. You can always open a figure. You can never put one back into the original package.

There are thousands of loose Storm Shadows out there. There are probably barely 100 unopened Storm Shadows left--if not far fewer. Leave it sealed. Don't take away from the few sealed Storm Shadows that are left; aging, little kids, and impatient/impulsive collectors are already decreasing the number of sealed Storm Shadows every year as it is. Don't open it!
    Counterpoint: I would argue that only collectors would be interested in a carded Storm Shadow in the first place and even their ranks would be heavily diminished due to the condition of the card. Regarding the number of existing pieces, there are only so many mint loose Storm Shadows and he would be adding to those numbers, while removing what would be a generally unwanted carded figure from the population, as it were. How many MOC collectors want a torn or creased card, no matter how many there are? The name of the game in collecting anything is to get the best condition whatsit you can, and keeping a mint figure in what is at its core an undesirable package doesn't make any real sense to me.
    Signature.

Keeping a mint figure on an undesirable package makes perfect sense to me. It gives a collector with fewer funds the opportunity to own a MOC figure they otherwise may not be able to get. Besides, who decides what is undesirable? Is it a C5, C6, C7, C8, or C9 card? opinions may vary, but keeping it intact gives a better opportunity for all collectors involved. I'm sure there are plenty of white Storm Shadows out there now, especially since the peroxide trick works so well. As long as there is not heat damage, then you can restore any yellowed Stormy to its original whiteness.

Please don't open it per my request, but bottom line... it's your call JOESRULE. Let us know what you decide.
    Take it easy,

Drew

Vintage, International, 25th and ROC WANT List: http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.p...821#post468821

Hey if you decide to open it don't. Trade him to me instead and I will take the burden off of you.

I am not Opening or sending it to be graded!

First of all thanks for all the opinions and comments. I appreciate it.

I have decided that I am leaving it as is. I will not personally keep it for my collection, but I believe that there would be plenty of folks out there that would love to have it. I will leave it to its new owner to decide its ultimate fate.

The reasons I am not keeping it is that I collect only cards c-8 and above. (Makes for an expensive hobby, but its fun to track that stuff down - down to pre 86 stuff) Also I have like 10 loose ones so why add another. In addition, I have never gotten into the whole grading thing yet, so I don't want to go that route.

So with that being said I am going trade it and make someone happy that would normally not be able to afford one on a great card. Maybe I will get something in return that I want. (I just need HTF stuff now). I can send pictures to those interested.

Once again, thanks for all the comments.

There are probably barely 100 unopened Storm Shadows left--if not far fewer.
    What evidence is there for this claim?

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuze9999 View Post
    What evidence is there for this claim?
    I believe you could call it a hypothesis or an estimate. There is no evidence because there is no way to gauge something like that. He is just saying that they are an endangered species and not to kill another one.

Speaking of "...endangered species..."

I saw Steve Irwin on Animal Planet last night for the first time since the incident and now I am