To Open or Not to open! 1984/85 Storm Shadow

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile To Open or Not to open! 1984/85 Storm Shadow

I have a 1984/86 Gray file card back (1986) Storm Shadow sealed on a very worn card. c-6 or below at best. The figure is perfect, but the card is just not that great. Is it more valauble sealed or opened. My gut says leave it sealed (Crappy or not) and I personally value it as a premium loose figure at about ($70-$100). Is that even close to accurate? I would like some more opinions. Thanks
    Last edited by JOESRULE; 05-17-2011 at 12:28 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

For me, I always base the decision on this:

Am I collecting this figure to potentially resell in the future, or because I really like it? If I really like it, and it is not too rare of a figure, I open it.

Sounds like you have some careful consideration.
    Founder/Owner of OG13.com (A Community for Collectors)
    Owner of OGToys, at www.ogtoys.com/ (we buy and sell toys!)

Tolan
    Send it in to AFA to get the highest return for the figure. With the card being that bad, most collectors would just open it for the fresh off card mint figure.
    Last edited by Tolan; 05-17-2011 at 04:03 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'd send it to the AFA and have them open it so it'll get the "U" grade. That would be the best investment, IMO.

I would open it if It didn't cost you much. Have some fun.

If I had some extra cash, I would offering you something for it. I could never afford the high prices of the C8/C9 MOC figs, so I go after 'beaters' when possible. That way I at least have a chance at a MOC fig. LMK if you are willing to trade it.
    Take it easy,

Drew

Vintage, International, 25th and ROC WANT List: http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.p...821#post468821

So, you can have a c.9 figure on a c.6 and maybe say I have a c.9 figure, but the overall value is much less than say that c.9 figure loose. I remember seeing a toy grade calculator that showed it was better, valuewise for resell mind you, to open that c.9 than to keep on a c.6 card. Personally speaking my stuff on card and in boxes are only in that state currently because I cannot reach them physically. I think I have some sort of sickness that says open the toy, play with the toy. I have looked at c.9 carded figures with a $300.00 price tag and said (to the guy selling them), "man thos ewould be fun to open and play with". He turned green.

As a MOC collector (if I were one) and not worried about resell I would keep it as is. If I was worried about resell value I would open and hope for a better sample.

I would burn it like Hendrix burnt guitars man. Get it all on video and post it for us.

If you open it you are doing a disservice to the entire GI Joe community. Part of collecting is preservation and history. You can always open a figure. You can never put one back into the original package.

There are thousands of loose Storm Shadows out there. There are probably barely 100 unopened Storm Shadows left--if not far fewer. Leave it sealed. Don't take away from the few sealed Storm Shadows that are left; aging, little kids, and impatient/impulsive collectors are already decreasing the number of sealed Storm Shadows every year as it is. Don't open it!

Quote Originally Posted by PythonPatrolforSale View Post
    If you open it you are doing a disservice to the entire GI Joe community. Part of collecting is preservation and history. You can always open a figure. You can never put one back into the original package.

There are thousands of loose Storm Shadows out there. There are probably barely 100 unopened Storm Shadows left--if not far fewer. Leave it sealed. Don't take away from the few sealed Storm Shadows that are left; aging, little kids, and impatient/impulsive collectors are already decreasing the number of sealed Storm Shadows every year as it is. Don't open it!
    Couldn't have said it any better myself!
    Crashing through the sky, comes the fearful cry, COBRAAAA, COBRAAAA. Armies of the night, evil taking flight, COBRAAAA, COBRAAAA. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, panic spreading far and wide!!!!

Want List: http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/67073-joes-needed.html

Sale/Trade List: http://forums.yojoe.com/sale/74457-m...ale-trade.html