Remove yellowing from plastics.. fix found. - Page 9

yojoe.com

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    I thought I remember regular OTC H2O2 (3% diluted) does not work, but you need the real version.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CobraLALALALA View Post
    The obligation to "put up or shutup" does not apply to me, but to you.
    It applies to you when you make a claim. I am asking you to provide evidance to support your claims. I am providing numerous pictures, one video, along with actually trying it on users yellowed toys and returning them to support my claims. You provide anecdotal evidence, red herrings, appeals to your own authority and Post-hoc analysis to support yours. If you make a comparison like H2O2 works just as well as mine (a claim) then it is only fair that I get to see your results (evidence)... I don't have to take your claim at face value just because I might in the future be selling something. Claims made without evidence can be dismissed just as easily

BTW
    Doctoring a picture of mine is only evidence that you can doctor pictures.

If this is how you handle a skeptic or someone who questions your methods, you are headed in the wrong direction.
    A skeptic is moved by evidence to form a conclusion. You formed an conclusion and then started looking for evidence to support it. A skeptic is open minded and reserves judgment till all the facts are in. You decided this was useless based on judging the second picture of a figure I posted and then began a campaign to derail my efforts. Your not a skeptic and in this thread you resemble more of a troll. I have seen you in other threads be extremely supportive to other forum users so I don't think you are a troll. I think you dislike the fact I am trying to make something to "sell". Fair enough... However even if I gave my formula away it would not matter. It's not like the H2O2 process... you can't run down the store and just buy some OTC stuff to mix up at home. It requires special lab equipment costing in the thousands of dollars to make. What do you think people will do.. put in a lab next to their toy room for thousands of dollars to manufacture it themselves or buy a 15$ bottle ready made?

I just have experince with dunking figures into liquids that will cause more harm than good, and results that reverse themsleves fairly quickly..... (leaving you in the end with a more messed up figure)
    Why did they fail? Why do you think the results reverse? Can you explain your results? Did you take notes? Did you log concentrations? Did you test in both acidic and basic conditions? Some organics can react violently with some solvents did you take that into account? I am sorry, but I can't seriously accept you as an authority because you dunked figures into random liquids hoping for positive results.

I put up, and I'm going to shut up because clearly you have no intention of being 100% honest about what you're doing.
    Even if you do manage to get a product out there (seriously doubtful,) you're likely to not do very well with it.
    Unfounded assertions based on an hasty generalizations.

The problem is that you forgot to photoshop this picture before I called you on it.
    Wow, how could I have forgotten such an important thing?

WARNING THOUGH! It will fade some colors like red on Storm Shadow, turn stickers to liquid, and other negative results. So unless you plan to buy replacement decals for you vehicle, do not attempt this, and if you want to whiten your white G.I. Joe figure at the cost of paint loss to colored areas then this is a good thing to use. All of my calims can be verified by payinig careful attention to what has been said in this thread not by me, but by the original poster.
    Correct... H2O2 will fade colors like red on Storm Shadow. I have no idea if it will turn stickers to "liquid". I am sure it gives some negative results... but with some thought they could probably be mitigated or removed completely. H2O2 causes paint loss but that could probably be fixed. Keep in mind I am not trying to replace H2O2... there are some things it works better on... and some things mine works better on. You should consider them both useful tools that complement each other. Not one replacing the other.

Third, let's go back a few pics ago where you posted a few photos of Stormshadow and observe how photoshop can be used to manipulate these images in your favor. Now in this particular photo, I commented earlier that this looks exactly like the results you will obtain with a simple dunking in Hydrogen Peroxide. You can see that the Cobra Emblem on Stormshadow's chest is faded a good deal. The problem is that you forgot to photoshop this picture before I called you on it. I believe that your other pictures of this figure are quite possibly doctored as well.
    There is no photoshopping or trickery... I use Paraffin (Petroleum Jelly) and a toothpick to protect the red of the insignia. I stick the toothpick in the Paraffin and apply it to the insignia. The solvent has trouble dissolving the paraffin since the paraffin is non-polar. Since the process is fast, the whitening happens before the solution can remove the paraffin. When done I pull them out and wipe off any residual Paraffin. Since the insignia never came in contact with the solution ir looks exactly the same as it did before the treatment. It may will not work on H2O2 since the lengthy time it takes to whiten, and the warmth of the solution from being in the sun, will dissolve it before the end of the treatment.

just go grab a boltte of regular hydrogen peroxide from your drug or grocery store, and submerge the figure or vehicle in the solution for 2-8 hours and you will get the same result for very cheap.
    I wish this was so. But I know it's not that easy. I know you are not going to believe me but the legs below have been in store bought H2O2 in the bright Texas sun for over 12 hours.

Certainly they are starting to change... but there is no way one bottle of store bought H2O2 is going to get these legs white. Leaving H2O2 out in the sun splits it via homolytic cleavage forming oxygen radicals. These radicals react with other H2O2 molecules and convert them to oxygen radicals and water in a continuous chain reaction. Since what you are placing in the solution is solid, the chance of a oxygen radical hitting it is low compared to hitting another H2O2 molecule. To get around this people push up the concentration. Either way most of your peroxide is destroyed without reacting with the item. (Though really high concentrations can get the job done before the chain reaction ends) This is why it takes forever, your relying on a "side" reaction instead of the main reaction. This problem disappears when the item you want it to react with has a high surface area (suspended solids) compared to volume of peroxide or is a liquid. If you could get the oxygen radicals to all react with the item and not with other H2O2 molecules it would probably turn white in seconds. But alas, that is not how nature works.
    Remove all the yellow from your FLAGG....
    http://chemkitdepot.com/ussflagg10pi...ationpack.aspx

I love to try the solution. I have no interest in trying H2O2. Its not made for turning plastics white, unlike the secret solution.
    Curchs vintage toy paradise
    http://stores.ebay.com/CURCHS-VINTAG...ARADISE?_rdc=1

Vehicle/Playset/Parts/Box/Blueprints Want List:
    http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/84793...tml#post520554

Figure/Parts/File Card Want List:
    http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/83034...want-list.html

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Congrats! Looks very promising! I would be interested in the final product as well. I hope you are rewarded for your hardwork and time. I can see many applications for this beyond toy restoration.

Thumbs up

If i see that in stores, I would definitly get that!
    Bring back at least one classic O-Rings exclusive figure to the gi joe international convention each year!

Hey fat_kids_joes,

Here is that silver part. In solution for about 3 hours... took pictures but it is hard to see. Look forward to your analysis when you get the part back.

Also every one please keep in mind there are many Gi Joe parts that have decals on them. For those vintage pieces i don't believe i would be willing to put my vintage Gi Joe items with decals in this mystery solution.

Quote Originally Posted by gameshalo70 View Post
    Also every one please keep in mind there are many Gi Joe parts that have decals on them. For those vintage pieces i don't believe i would be willing to put my vintage Gi Joe items with decals in this mystery solution.
    It pops them off. None so far have faded and they are still sticky, I have just reapplied them. However, your advice is sound and collectors should realize they are taking a risk in loosing decals.

Another part of the FLAGG....

Quote Originally Posted by gameshalo70 View Post
    I use a hair dryer and remove any stickers that I am worried about messing up. Simply cleaning the vehicle with the wrong type of soap will destroy some of the stickers.

I'm totally stoked about this product and am excited there's a chemical genius out there who took the time to create something that can only provide more options for restorations! Thank you Sir!

To all the naysayers: Just don't buy the stuff.

I tried the peroxide, and although it did lighten the figure, it also "ate" away at the plastic because all his joints were loose after reassembly. I would not dare put peroxide on anything I'm truely interested in restoring because I know it's only destroying it in the process. I actually TRUST this chemical because it was MADE for THIS purpose.