Remove yellowing from plastics.. fix found. - Page 4

yojoe.com

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    yeah, I don't see any paint removal. Only the clean white showing up better where it was worn off and yellow.
    Curchs vintage toy paradise
    http://stores.ebay.com/CURCHS-VINTAG...ARADISE?_rdc=1

Vehicle/Playset/Parts/Box/Blueprints Want List:
    http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/84793...tml#post520554

Figure/Parts/File Card Want List:
    http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/83034...want-list.html

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Flophouse View Post
    That would be your neighborhood "WAMPA".

I might consider shipping the Crusader shell if you are considering that option. I live in an apartment with no balcony and no good spot to catch UV light all day for the H.P. method, plus a big vat of H.P. in my house is probably not a good idea for pets, etc. (even with a lid on).

What are your legal concerns? Just damage to the parts, etc?
    Sure ... I will do a couple items free for people who are willing to ship items to me. All that I ask is that the item not be really big or irreplaceable. I have not destroyed any toys ... yet... however, there is always a risk.

Is this what we are talking about....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...e/Crusader.jpg

Does the Crusader shell come apart so you can send me the white plastic only? If it has stickers there is a chance the solution will remove them. It usually does not ruin them just takes them off.... sometimes you can just stick them back on when they dry.

The legal issues have to do with damaging parts and crazy stuff like what happens if someone tries to drink it. Proper labeling is a huge legal issue before we can sell it. Other items are things like proper disposal issues, environmental impact, long term storage safety... on and on. However, we have no problem running the process for people since that removes a large part of the liability. We can take out insurance on the parts if they were to get damaged. In the past we were thinking about offering several "package" deals were users could ship us 10, 3 3/4" Joes to be "de-yellowed" for 17$ plus shipping. Does that sound like a good deal? Would anyone be interested in that?

For those who collect Star Wars...
    This is two different figures... The one on the right looked like the one on the left... I forgot to take a before pic. Will do the one on the left tonight and repost.

Last edited by myst32yt; 08-19-2011 at 02:33 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by myst32yt View Post
    Sure ... I will do a couple items free for people who are willing to ship items to me. All that I ask is that the item not be really big or irreplaceable. I have not destroyed any toys ... yet... however, there is always a risk.

Does the Crusader shell come apart so you can send me the white plastic only? If it has stickers there is a chance the solution will remove them. It usually does not ruin them just takes them off.... sometimes you can just stick them back on when they dry.

The legal issues have to do with damaging parts and crazy stuff like what happens if someone tries to drink it. Proper labeling is a huge legal issue before we can sell it. Other items are things like proper disposal issues, environmental impact, long term storage safety... on and on. However, we have no problem running the process for people since that removes a large part of the liability. We can take out insurance on the parts if they were to get damaged. In the past we were thinking about offering several "package" deals were users could ship us 10, 3 3/4" Joes to be "de-yellowed" for 17$ plus shipping. Does that sound like a good deal? Would anyone be interested in that?
    So you would be basically running around $2 a figure to whiten them? This would most definitely be a fair price. And it looks like your package deals would offer a bit of a discount so yes I would pay it. How would you price vehicles?
    Welcome to the Island! http://www.cobraisland.com

Does the Crusader shell come apart so you can send me the white plastic only? If it has stickers there is a chance the solution will remove them. It usually does not ruin them just takes them off.... sometimes you can just stick them back on when they dry.?
    Yes that is the exact vehicle. I had already taken the vehicle apart because I was going to try H.P. method. The parts are just the white upper and lower shell, plus part of the smaller scout craft. There are no stickers applied as this was a MIB item.

I note to all MISB, MIB collectors; it has become very apparent, and probably already well known, that blueprints and plastic will still turn yellow in a sealed box. Blueprints that are NOT inside a plastic bag, but loose in the box will turn brown if one part of the paper is flat against the inside of the cardboard box. I have seen this countless times. Similarly, if plastic parts, especially white plastic, are not inside sealed bags, but loose against the cardboard in the box, they can turn brown. I'm sure there's still some environmental issue at play, like how hot the room was where the sealed toy was stored, etc, but it does happen. Not all the time, but it does. My Crusader is just one example I've encountered.

myst32yt, I will PM you to see if we can sort out some trial process on my parts. Thank you again for your work on this idea.
    "Get a life will you people! I mean look at you, look at the way you're dressed. You there, you must be almost 30, have you ever kissed a girl?" - William Shatner

I have a few figs that need "the Treatment" and I also live in the Dallas area (Little Elm, near Frisco). Can I bring them by?
    Take it easy,

Drew

Vintage, International, 25th and ROC WANT List: http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.p...821#post468821

Ok here is the second one.... 45 min

The results aren't too shockingly different than Hydrogen Peroxide. This picture in particular looks like it captures reality the most. You can see that there is clearly some disentigration to the Cobra emblem. Different plastics=different results, and on a G.I Joe figure you have different plastics on a singular figure, whereas most vehicles, and Transformers are made of one type of plastic throughout (not including missles and things like that) The yellowing almost always comes back over time on figures, and usually many times worse. You're better off leaving it alone and not taking away 10%-15% of the cobra emblem. It probably works well on Transformers just like Joe vehicles, but again, H202 does the same exact thing. Free radicals or not. We have a chemist who is a member here. I'll be interested to hear his take on it. Allow me to mention that I am collector on my way out of toy collecting, and I've tried this before, and it's a waste of your time unless it's a vehicle. I have no vested interest in it working or not other than seeing fellow Joe collectors mess up good figures.

If you do indeed have something here, you're going to have to do a little better in my opinion to convince a sizeable amount of people that you've discovered something that actaully works without negative results, and that those results last. Think infomercial.

Quote Originally Posted by CobraLALALALA View Post
    The results aren't too shockingly different than Hydrogen Peroxide. This picture in particular looks like it captures reality the most. You can see that there is clearly some disentigration to the Cobra emblem. Different plastics=different results, and on a G.I Joe figure you have different plastics on a singular figure, whereas most vehicles, and Transformers are made of one type of plastic throughout (not including missles and things like that) The yellowing almost always comes back over time on figures, and usually many times worse. You're better off leaving it alone and not taking away 10%-15% of the cobra emblem. It probably works well on Transformers just like Joe vehicles, but again, H202 does the same exact thing. Free radicals or not. We have a chemist who is a member here. I'll be interested to hear his take on it. Allow me to mention that I am collector on my way out of toy collecting, and I've tried this before, and it's a waste of your time unless it's a vehicle. I have no vested interest in it working or not other than seeing fellow Joe collectors mess up good figures.

If you do indeed have something here, you're going to have to do a little better in my opinion to convince a sizeable amount of people that you've discovered something that actaully works without negative results, and that those results last. Think infomercial.

Its the second Joe I have ever tried it on... I am sure you give perfect results on everything you do on the second try. However, I have to mess with it... improve the process... learn from my mistakes. What works well on white transformers will need to be changed to work well on other items. Certainly it may turn back to yellow, or blue or black or whatever. But just because H2O2 converts back is not 100% assurance that doing it another way will also give the same results. BTW everyone keeps bringing up that H2O2 works on vehicles, but not figures... Fine, I am trying to improve on whitening figures... not vehicles. If I put an *** load of work into only doing as well as H2O2... well i just wasted my time and had fun doing so. I realize H2O2 sets the bar... just let me know if and when I pass it. If someone has before and after pix of H2O2 cleaned figures please post them.

"other than seeing fellow Joe collectors mess up good figures."

I agree, messing with the plastic assumes risk. I would not recommend anyone trying this on a $400 figure. All that I have been trying it on are 2$ figures that nobody wants and nobody is going to collect. It is a cheap, easy, way to make unsavory figures look more appealing. Like I said before... I bought both Stormshadows for less than a cup of coffee. The fact that the Cobra emblem "slightly" degraded while the overall appearance of the figures improved exponentially has it's own form of value. However I am not a collector... so you all tell me... after the process does this Stormshadow have less value than the 2$ I paid for it or more? Which one are would you rather own?

"you're going to have to do a little better in my opinion"

You are going to have to give me more than 1 day. Retooling takes time..

For example...

Yeah I know.... it's not drop dead band new out of the box perfect. However in my opinion it is a step in the right direction. His head is the same in both so I could have a reference color. Yeah, it's still fading... but not degrading like the other one. Plus it is on colored plastic... a whole other beast. Someone drop this guy in 43% H2O2 and post the results... I would love to see it.

Allow me to mention that I only designed this to work on white... I am only trying it on other items because others showed interest in it working on other items. The fact that it does not perform to your standards on something it was not intended to be used on is not a problem that really concerns me.
    Last edited by myst32yt; 08-20-2011 at 01:23 AM.

I want to thank you for trying to keep all our toys white again. Whatever the outcome, good or bad, thank you for at lease trying....
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf...”

If someone has before and after pix of H2O2 cleaned figures please post them.
    Here's a thread that brought the use of H2O2 to my attention with pics. So far I think yours dose a better job. I havent seen any damage to the swivel part of the arm yet either.

http://forums.yojoe.com/toys-1982-19...-pictures.html