Sending a Money Order but unsure if deal is safe....best way to protect yourself?

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok heres the deal, I found a guy who has a decent size collection I want to buy, including some ok figures from 82-85, some good and some bad. The meat of the collection though is about 10 sealed figures from 83-85, a few nice ones like Baroness & CG and some bad ones like Mainframe.

He was asking a good price for it all, not something stupid like $150 but probably not market value either.

He has no real references but seems genuine, I expressed my concern to him and offered a few smaller deals first to make sure the thing is legit. I'm considering sending him $100 and in return will get a few examples of the collection, a sealed figure, some loose and some misc stuff.

I've got his full address(still need to try and verify it)....as for the payment....even at only $100 what are my best options for potential recovery of $$$ afterwards? He doesn't have Paypal yet(working on it apparently) so I was considering US Postal Money Order, Registered Mail, I can trace the MO and he has to sign for it. Would that be sufficient for a Mail Fraud claim if he tries to skate off with the $100?

I'm still not 100% sure if I'll even do it yet...I'd love to go 3rd party but not sure if he would or not as he's fairly new to the boards and what not so I don't think he'll trust it.
    ReilToys has closed - thanks for all the memories guys!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

friend of mine sent me a 200 MO and it got intercepted and cashed, anyway my friend talked with the postmaster and he said 200 was to small to do anything about.

ask for a picture of like 3 of his figures in this deal, ask him to have like 4 coins next to the figures.

good luck

I have gotten ripped off on several money order deals. Your best protection is to use a credit card. It would probably be worthwhile in this case to use an escrow service if he is willing that way he doesn't get his money until you have the goods. I have been ripped off enough times to no longer trust big deals with no method of getting a refund. The postal inspectors merely send a lette rout they don't actually file criminal charges or really investigate unless the seller has numerous complaints or a single complaint for a substantial amount. They did nothing for $300.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

i would wait until he gets his paypal up

it keeps good records of deals and you have it documented that the money was paid
    and he accepted the payment

[ June 17, 2004: Message edited by: Hit & Run ]
    if lost return intact if possible

the problem with mo's is you need mulitple offenses for them to do anything for you. I have lost out on a nice amount and nothing you can do other than take a trip to there house or have someone go there.
    I just started my ebay store, take a look
    MY EBAY STORE<br>more to come soon
    Check out my ebay auctions as well MY EBAY AUCTIONS
    I was using searchforjoes for a while but found my old name.I am looking for moc figures and weapons, send me your lists!!!

Will Western union back you up?

I got taken for $400 around a year ago, on a MO deal by some dude in San Antonio TX, and never was able to get it back...

I go PayPal or nothing now. lesson learned...

Be carfull! also if the guy is from San Antonio TX you may think twice about dealing with him [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    "O wad some Power the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us! "

Thanks guys, I thought the MO route was much safer....guess not! I'm definetly glad I posted here first.

I emailed him asking for a 3rd party deal with www.gijoehq.com as the middle ground, offered to pay extra....we'll see what happens.

Thanks guys!
    ReilToys has closed - thanks for all the memories guys!

Can you send a MO and insure it for the value of the MO? Anyone know?
    Castle Destro

YoJoe! International Updated: 50+ Funskool Filecards!

Acmirro - Sturdy Construction For Rugged Play.

Opie & Anthony XM Sattelite Radio High Voltage 202!!!

Even with PayPal you are not 100% safe. The best options are an escrow service or have him send them C.O.D. That way both parties are safe and you don't give up any money without the product being in your possession.