92 konami arcade game.

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ohio- right next to the air force museum- which totally rules.

92 konami arcade game.

i bought the actual arcade off a nice guy locally and it is very cool. i recently purchased one of the pcb multicades, which is also pretty cool. but then i wanted more, so i started looking into m.a.m.e. emulator software (because i saw machines running this on craigs list with 1000's of classic games in lots of formats). and wouldn't you know you can get a rom of the arcade game and play it on your laptop with an xbox (usb) controller. now, if i was so inclined, i could play gi joe at work. sweet!
    on a side note, does anyone have experience with the mame arcades so that they can offer advice on whether or not they are worth 1200- 4500 bucks? i totally want one:
    WOW! Star Wars Tribute! 4 Player 37" LCD Home Video Arcade Game MAME(TM) | eBay
    Leonard Hofstadter: Once you open the box, it loses its value.

Penny: Yeah, yeah. My mom gave me the same lecture about my virginity. Gotta tell you, it was a lot more fun taking it out and playing with it.

Wants, My Collection, Customs, Project Skinny, my dog eating corn on the cob, my dog weasel, blowing up toys

I use the MAME emulator to play the Joe arcade game on my computer, and it works great. Its the Joe game were you play as Duke, Snake Eyes(blue 91 version) and two others. It scrolls forward the entire time and most of the bad guys are Annihilators and Alley-Vipers etc.

That MAME emulator has about any game you can think of from the arcade, if you can just find the roms for them.
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive

yeah that's the one, it's duke scarlet, roadblock and snakeeyes. some people aren't too happy with it but i thought it was pretty cool. as for mame, i just wasn't sure if the games were glitchy or what not. i saw several places for the roms, but you almost have to download a million to find one that works (plus some require the chd files), that's why i was leaning towards a machine with a complete or custom install. i am just not that good with computers. i know the files are out there, that's why i wasn't sure about spending a ton of money on something unless it is really good. i mean if the gaming is awesome, and the selection is awesome, and the cabinet is nice, then it's worth it. but if it's really glitchy or hokey, and i can do it just as good on my own (which isn't saying much) then i will try to build one like this guys players choice (which actually is very appealing to me).

but i am dominating my kid in galaga (the multicade version). xbox is no substitute for a joystick.

Penny: Yeah, yeah. My mom gave me the same lecture about my virginity. Gotta tell you, it was a lot more fun taking it out and playing with it.

Wants, My Collection, Customs, Project Skinny, my dog eating corn on the cob, my dog weasel, blowing up toys

4. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Custom built MAME machines are pretty cool. It itsn't too hard to get the right software and roms. And MAME machines don't require a beastly computer to run either, so you can take an outdate machine (by today's standards) and turn it into a great arcade machine with thousands of games.

Were thinking of building your own cabinet? I've got a friend in town that turned an old cabinet into a custom emulator arcade, its pretty sweet. I played the GI Joe game on it, and it works great.

You should totally do it - you could free up space by giving the Joe arcade back to that nice guy you bought it from.

Quote Originally Posted by YoJoeNCSU View Post
    Were thinking of building your own cabinet? I've got a friend in town that turned an old cabinet into a custom emulator arcade, its pretty sweet. I played the GI Joe game on it, and it works great.

You should totally do it - you could free up space by giving the Joe arcade back to that nice guy you bought it from.
    Lol, the problem is that i love the arcade, it is just a bonus to have it on my pc now (although i have been looking diligently for the side art). you are certainly welcome to play it when ever you wish. I have been looking for an empty cabinet, and i made a deal for some ready to install emulators and roms, but it seems empty cabinets are in high demand and are sold as "mame ready" as opposed to "empty cabinet".

Quote Originally Posted by cageyJG
    Software: I have never been able to get any of 5 or so popular MAME emulators to work on my PC. If you have any luck, give me a holler.

The Star Wars cabinet you posted was really superior looking, light up buttons and the whole nine; might talk the guy down to around 30% less than the asking price. Will your spousal unit approve and do you have the room?
    my wife is pretty cool with what i buy as long as it doesn't effect our budget (meaning i have to find the money myself), and i have to have a place to put it. my multicade is in the garage until i redo my toy room, my joe arcade is actually in my toy room (with shelves built around it).
    I am new to mame, but have been really researching it for the last couple weeks. if you want to run it on your PC, i can certainly help you get it started but as for games i only have gijoe, because i could directly compare it to the arcade.
    I don't have a problem with the electrical wiring (or even the PC conversion) but me, wood and a saw is just not a good combination see here. so i was hoping to find an empty cabinet, or just try to get one ready to play.
    Last edited by hotdog; 12-30-2011 at 01:13 AM.

Congrats on your awesome new buy. On the negative side: Refurbishing. It's a massive project. Lots of plans available to build your own. If you're inclined with woodworking, electronics and so forth, it would be the best thing ever when you complete it. Total payoff for your inner kid. I've seen one in person and was just blown away by it. I'll add it to my "within 5-10years" goal list to get one.

Software: I have never been able to get any of 5 or so popular MAME emulators to work on my PC. If you have any luck, give me a holler.

The Star Wars cabinet you posted was really superior looking, light up buttons and the whole nine; might talk the guy down to around 30% less than the asking price. Will your spousal unit approve and do you have the room?

Just to add to the convo, you can also play the old NES games with an Emulator and a ROM for each game as well. I played both games not to long ago (G.I. Joe, and G.I. Joe: The Atlantis Factor). I was even able to get it all set up on my bif flatscreen TV and looking rather nice. I used the Nester Emulator, an old WINXP era PC, and I have used both Xbox 360 and PS3 controllers for it. In case anyone is interested in SNES games as well ZNES is an awesome SNES emulator. I just beat about 3-4 old SNES games over the holidays on my TV like it was old times. (Super Metroid, Super Mario World, and Megamax X2) I once had a nes emulator for the Dreamcast that had a 1000+ NES games, and that was really cool. I'm sure you could set something like that up if ya wanted too on an older PC or something.

I have not tried MAME myself, but I have been aware of it for some time. I almost bought an arcade stick recently (like HORI japan style) for competitive fighting gameplay. The jap style sticks are different than what we had over here. They're clicky and more rigid, but are better for SUPER precise control. I'm off into Tekken and the serious players use that. I found that some American people wanted an arcade stick more like what they're used to. Something about an "octagonal" stick design or some junk like that. Something REALLLLY cool I came across is the "KLASSIC Mortal Kombat Arcade stick." It's just like the old arcade sticks on UMK3 and it comes with all 3 classic games. I saw it in a Gamestop for the PS3. I know the stick could likely be used on a PC with other games. The buttons on all controllers etc are mapped as 1,2,3,4 etc, so I know it would work. For example on the 360, X=1, Y=2, A=3, B=4 and so on. It might able really cool option for minimal $$.

I just became aware of the Joe arcade game a few months ago from reading the forums here. I'll probably try it one day, but most of the games I play from back in the day were not arcade games, and if they were, they were ported and ported well to a home console at some point. Case in point, UMK3: there were great arcade perfect ports of the game on Saturn, PS1, PS2, and even PS3/360.

Quote Originally Posted by CobraLALALALA View Post
    Just to add to the convo, you can also play the old NES games with an Emulator and a ROM for each game as well. I played both games not to long ago (G.I. Joe, and G.I. Joe: The Atlantis Factor).
    Something REALLLLY cool I came across is the "KLASSIC Mortal Kombat Arcade stick." It's just like the old arcade sticks on UMK3 and it comes with all 3 classic games. I saw it in a Gamestop for the PS3..
    supposedly the package i purchased will have emulators and roms for nes/smes/ and genesis. if they work out i would be happy to share them. most of those games were pretty awesome, but i did see those emulators and roms at a certain site (for free) I am just not certain if we can mention names or link to that kind of stuff. I know the mame emulators are legal, so i don't think there's a problem with that. but that would be wicked cool to play snes games on a bigscreen.
    I will also check into the MK gamestick combo. I can't remember if that was a playstation only item when the other classics packs of MK came out, but we don't have a ps3 (yeah, i know) we just have a couple 360's (and an older one for a back up when they eventually blow up. the mortal kombat series was my favorite, next to the the first 3 resident evil seies (and later #4).

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    supposedly the package i purchased will have emulators and roms for nes/smes/ and genesis. if they work out i would be happy to share them. most of those games were pretty awesome, but i did see those emulators and roms at a certain site (for free) I am just not certain if we can mention names or link to that kind of stuff. I know the mame emulators are legal, so i don't think there's a problem with that. but that would be wicked cool to play snes games on a bigscreen.
    I will also check into the MK gamestick combo. I can't remember if that was a playstation only item when the other classics packs of MK came out, but we don't have a ps3 (yeah, i know) we just have a couple 360's (and an older one for a back up when they eventually blow up. the mortal kombat series was my favorite, next to the the first 3 resident evil seies (and later #4).
    Yeah the MK stick I saw was for PS3, but I guess it's 50/50 if they have one for 360. They didn't even have UMK3 on PS3 for the longest. (my fav MK game) I had a 360 for awhile and I did enjoy it. I was a Xbox fanboy for a few years there, and I still have my Xbox1, buty my 360 broke twice in less than a year and I was DONEEEEE son. Never again. Had some mean braggin rights ona few games on 360 as well. As far as anyone can tell, I was the first on Xbox to get 1000/1000 on Devil May Cry 4. (tough to do). Anyway, I woulda held on if I could have....sadness, but I have loved my PS3 and enjoyed getting back into fighting games because they're more playable on that controller. Though I just saw a way to modify the 260 d-pad to be like PS3. Madly off topic, anyway...lol

That sounds really cool about the cab and all those roms. That's some sick stuff. No need to mention particular sites, just search emulator for particular system in question, and find a ROM for the game you want to play.

Let us know about some of those arcade games that may have been forgotten over the years. It'd be cool to play some of those old games again. I know when I used to have the 1000+ NES games on Dreamcast, there were SOOOOOO many games I completely forgot about.
    Last edited by CobraLALALALA; 01-02-2012 at 03:21 PM.

oh man your lucky! I always loved playing that game as a kid! I wish there was somehow i could still play it!
    Bring back at least one classic O-Rings exclusive figure to the gi joe international convention each year!