1983 Gung-Ho chest colour variations

yojoe.com

1983 Gung-Ho chest colour variations

I have 3 vintage Gung-Ho figures/chest and all 3 in a different colour.
    Unfortunately the picture does not do the colours justice.
    From left to right I have a white chest, yellow chest and flesh colour chest.
    The yellow chest does not look yellowed to me.
    I cannot find anything about this on Yojoe but I guess these variants are not very rare?
    But I would like to know what would be the standard colour?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The white-chested one is severely sun-damaged. You can see that the underside of his torso is still flesh-colored where the sun didn't hit, and that his waistpiece has some yellowing too.

The middle one is also sun-damaged, but it's very common to find him that way. Your average kid took his Joes outside, so it only makes sense that your average Gung Ho has some color loss.

This makes your flesh-colored torso an uncommonly nice specimen. Oddly though, his right arm shows deep tanning, which is another symptom of sun damage. Flesh-colored paints will usually go lighter, while flesh-colored plastics will usually go darker. It varies from case to case. There have been a lot of reported variants on this board that were just sun damage. And I know sun-damage when I see it because my own original childhood collection spent lots of time outside, and includes some Night Force and a gold-head Steel Brigade, and none of that crew is going to pass for mint anymore.

That torso could be your basis for cobbling together a nicer specimen of Gung Ho. As long as the individual parts are authentic, undamaged and untampered with, without resulting looseness, I'd still call the result authentic. I've been using that approach to upgrade my Storm Shadow, although the only part of him that's 100% unyellowed is the waist.
    Last edited by '86 Digital Fire; 02-10-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks for the explanation!
    And although I know that you will probably be right I still have a small doubt.
    I took a new picture that shows the colors slightly better.
    My main point is the white chest. I never saw a flesh paint turn white.
    The part of the stomach that you do see below is not the flesh color from figure 3 but the yellow color from figure 2.....

But as I understand, the flesh colour first turns yellow in the sun and after that the yellow will turn white?
    Strange thing is that the flesh colored one does have the blue vest yellowed. So why not the chest too?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That white one is a little odd, but plastic does some weird stuff as it ages. I would say all sun damage as well but who knows. Maybe he just wanted to wear a muscle shirt that day lol.

Yeah, it's pretty much just either sun damage or the chemicals used to make the plastic that turns the figures that way. He started out with the same color chest as his head/arms then over time they just turn. Not much can be done there I don't think unless that whole peroxide treatment works on him too.

But he does look like he's wearing a shirt so that's not a bad look! :P

This is weird; I too just was digging and came across a white chest Gung Ho- it is not faded; or changed; it is painted white. I have never seen one before-

It is not faded (although some of him is- it is white paint- I can scrape it off. Anyone..?

Just have to figure out how to make my pic less KB to post it and I will.

My assessment for those figures is that the one on the right spent some time in a high heat area like the attic or a storage room with no air conditioning. Thats why part of his plastic has discolored but the paint has not. The one in the middle has been exposed to a small amount of sunlight and thus his paint is slightly faded and his plastic has minor discoloration. The one on the left has been in the swimming pool, and the combination of concentrated chlorine and sunlight has bleached his chest white and heavily discolored his plastic.
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive