(Complete!) Cobra STRIKE APC - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I'm gonna leave it more or less like its shown in height, it only had to be raised a half inch from the original concept so its still pretty low overall. I was going to slope the front of the canopy down onto the back of the cab but it didn't look as much like a realistic troop carrier, so I made it have a flat front instead.

Note that it does have a cutout inside behind the crew cabin so you can look in the front window and see right out the back. Hopefully I will begin on the canopy in a few days or this coming weekend. The paint prep is being done now to the body and should have some primer pics up soon. Gotta get some "Rattler" blue paint now, my "Cobra Trooper" paint isn't quite dark enough for a proper match.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    If you wanted to keep it completely flat a cross the top like you said you wanted earlier, you could raise up the roof of the front of the vehicle to match. Though I like it how it currently is.
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

So, looking back at the "here is what I have so far" images I kind of think it would be neat to see a Half-Trak version of this. I am still trying to guage how hard this would be to craft for myself.

BTW, what paint do you consider Trooper blue and Rattler blue?
    (5*) ****

(5#)####

There is an i in TEAM...It is in the A hole

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    So, looking back at the "here is what I have so far" images I kind of think it would be neat to see a Half-Trak version of this. I am still trying to guage how hard this would be to craft for myself.

It would probably take quite a bit more cutting and fitting to get some tracks to fit in there right with the fender skirt arrangement, but its likely possible. I would suggest something heavier if you build a half track though, since they are normally armored up and need the tracks to keep it from bogging down and getting stuck from its weight. A light vehicle like this wouldn't really gain benefit from a half track design. With no armor its only defense would be speed and stealth, and tracks would slow it down and make it a lot more noisy. It would also eat up a lot more fuel.

It bet it would look cool as **** though on a pure aesthetic standpoint, and if you mounted some kind of big heavy looking howitzer or multiple rocket launcher rack in the back it would probably weigh it down enough to justify requiring treads.

About the paint, the Trooper Blue is Krylon Fusion Navy, its vitually an exact match to an original Cobra trooper if you get a good can. I have gotten a few bad cans of this where the paint had a distinct purple tint to it which won't do.

Rattlers are a shade darker than a Cobra trooper, half way between the color of a Cobra trooper and a Hooded Commander. I haven't had a chance to check the store yet to see if they have anything correct. Otherwise I may have to go ahead and paint it trooper blue and rely on the black primer to darken it enough to work. If the dang store was open 24 hours I would go there now, the STRIKE body is sitting here behind me fully primed and I am dieing to get some blue on it. Speaking of which, I guess I should get those pictures posted.
    Net-Viper X

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post

I was thinking earlier how cool a tracked variant of this would be too. This vehicle reminds me of the Hanomag, which is what made me think of it.

All the talk of half tracks got me thinking of a purpose for a light truck with tracks and it occured to me that the Germans had a vehicle like this that was essentially a standard tandem rear axle troop truck, with the rear axles swapped out for tracks, called the Maultier L4500. This truck towed things like the flak 88 and heavy howitzers that a normal wheeled vehicle couldn't tow effectively, and was used on muddy or icy terrain that wheeled vehicles couldn't cross. It had a canvas rear canopy just like the tandem axle version with troop transport capacity.

This would add some great purposes for a half track version of the Cobra APC, a heavy towing vehicle for a large custom artillery piece, or a harsh terrain/arctic APC.
    Net-Viper X

I got the main body painted and put together, its getting very near completion.
    Net-Viper X

It already looks awesome, even without the top on. You could make a great flatbed variant with this design. Cobra could always use a light cargo truck.

Incredible, just incredible that's a very , very nice custom. You have a lot of talent and patience( and time on your hands LOL !) just for sh!ts N' giggles you should throw it up on eBay (with a $1000.00 reserve) and see how high the bids get up to ? thats one heck of a custom

US NY or Arizona depending on time of year
    I'm definitely looking forward to buying a production model (for the right price) When and if they go into production. Same goes for a nice juicy custom Net-Viper

Just saw the updated pics with the paint applied. Man I wish I had the $1000 reserve price (that or the skill to do one myself).
    (5*) ****

(5#)####

There is an i in TEAM...It is in the A hole