(Complete!) Cobra STRIKE APC

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

(Complete!) Cobra STRIKE APC

The Cobra STRIKE APC project is in the works now I will be posting updates in this thread as things come along.

For those new to this project, the Cobra STRIKE is an APC I am creating from a Stinger jeep. It will be a dual rear axle vehicle with a canvas canopy on the back like the Joe APC. The Driver will be a classic Cobra Trooper in Stinger Driver colors. This thread has reached its image limit so as new images are added some old images will be thinned out.

Here is the Concept art for the vehicle along with a demo pic of the Driver's Filecard. A better profile pic will be added when I can find a higher resolution scan of a FANG box front to re-color. I took a cue from the Stinger Driver and Viper Pilot filecard, so its essentially just a Cobra soldier card with a new picture and a few added bits of text.

A small version of the main gallery picture from my website.

Here are some sample pictures of the blueprint and decal sheet.

UPDATE #1
    Just finished cutting the rear end off the chassis and test fitting it to the hull. A few notes in red on the picture show the first modifications to be made.

UPDATE #2
    I decided to get the passenger compartment completed before starting on the outer body in order to avoid any fitment issues later on, and a lot of progress has been made. The second axle has been added and the bench seats and floor panels have been cut and fitted to the chassis. A bit more trimming and the panels will be ready for mounting and then its on to the outer body.

UPDATE #3
    The rear section of the hull has been cut out and fitted to the chassis. Final trimming is still required then it will be time to work on the outer fenders.

UPDATE #4
    I got a lot done today and its really starting to look like a vehicle now. All the cutting is done and the only glueing left is the inner passenger panels. The final assembly will remain the same as the Stinger, the entire upper hull will still lift off by pushing in on the rear tail lights and lifting the hull. Passenger compartment will be attached to the lower chassis as a single assembly.

UPDATE #5
    Got all the gaps and old scuff marks in the hull filled and smoothed, with a coat of primer added. This entire hull section will be dark blue, along with the hub caps.

UPDATE #6
    The body of the vehicle is now assembled and painted, and the wheels have been reinstalled. All thats left now is the canvas rear canopy, machine gun, and decals.

UPDATE #7
    The canvas canopy is almost done, just need a little final fitting mainly on the rear end. The canopy is real fabric that is being saturated with resin to make it rigid like plastic but with the texture of fabric, much like the top on the Joe APC. The resin also adds weight so the fabric sags around the support bars and looks realistic. It will be painted black when completed. At the bottom is a shot of a test print for the red portion of the sticker sheet I'm making for the STRIKE. While hard to see in the picture, I ran this test print in metallic silver to test the metallic capabilities of my new printer. The actual decals will look like the picture further up the page, with red, white, and black details on a transparent background.

UPDATE #8
    I got the rest of the trimming done on the canopy and its now essentially finished. Another layer of resin to the inside to smooth things up is all that left besides the black paint. The end result is a canopy that fully removable and attaches solid enough to hold the weight of the vehicle if picked up by the canopy itself. I was originally planning to raise the canopy 1/2 inch higher than shown in the concept art because of figure headroom issues but decided to raise it 3/4 inch where the actual brace bars are, that way the canvas can sag down between the bars without hitting the figures heads and makes for a more realistic look.

UPDATE #9
    Well eveything came together on this final day and the APC is complete. I got the stickers printed today, the canvas canopy painted, and my Stinger Troopers arrived to pilot the vehicle. Proof that even fate loves Cobra! Of course I did somehow totally forget to pick up the gun for this thing, so I tossed a placeholder on there until I can get the proper one ordered, but thats small potatoes. So here it is, the Cobra STRIKE!!!

Last edited by Net-Viper X; 04-18-2012 at 12:47 AM.
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cant wait to see the finished vehicle
    Best Regards
    StkhlmDK

Check out http://www.action-force.dk if you want to see my GI Joe/Action Force collection
    YoJoe Collection Profile: http://www.yojoe.com/members/YOJOE0016251
    Flickr Account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/95647335@N07/

I cannot wait until I can convince him to make one for me

(5*) ****

(5#)####

There is an i in TEAM...It is in the A hole

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Big update today, made good progress on the rear passenger area and posted a ton of pictures.
    Net-Viper X

Great work, really cool to see the WIP on this awesome vehicle. If Hasbro saw this I am sure you could hired for their R&D ;-)
    Best Regards
    StkhlmDK

Check out http://www.action-force.dk if you want to see my GI Joe/Action Force collection
    YoJoe Collection Profile: http://www.yojoe.com/members/YOJOE0016251
    Flickr Account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/95647335@N07/

Got some more pictures up of the test fitting for the rear hull.
    Net-Viper X

Looking good. It is really coming together.
    (5*) ****

(5#)####

Got a lot more work done on the hull and chassis and added some pics. Its getting there.
    Net-Viper X

It is really coming along nicely. I like all the in progress pictures.
    (5*) ****

(5#)####

If you wanted to keep it completely flat a cross the top like you said you wanted earlier, you could raise up the roof of the front of the vehicle to match. Though I like it how it currently is.