Has anyone ever dyed their Joes

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anyone ever dyed their Joes

I only ask cause I got a lot of Eels in an auction and most of their equipment is AP blue. I was hoping to make them the proper black colour. I have heard of people dying their Joes, but wondered what they used to do it and how they did it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Also I am hoping the same technique can be used on the figures. I am customizing a Snake Eyes and well, face it he don't look to good in any other colour but black.
    (5*) ****

(5#)####

There is an i in TEAM...It is in the A hole

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It might run the risk of the black dye leeching out into the gray parts of the figure if its in contact with it for a period of time, so you have to be careful with dyeing stuff from what I have read. I have heard of dyed figures leaching the dye into the seats of vehicles and such on several occasions.

It would probably be safest to find a black backpack and stick the blue one in your Moray in case Lamprey needs to do any underwater hull repairs or something, and it would match him pretty good.
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive

Those accessory packs blue items are very difficult to dye. I tried dyeing the Crimson Guard rifle multiple times and it still has a hint of blue in it.

Quote Originally Posted by fat_kids_joes View Post
    That is helpful. So when he says once you use somethig to dye in, you can not use it for anythign else. About how serious is he on that?
    (5*) ****

(5#)####

Quote Originally Posted by deadfish View Post
    totally...and yes I know I sound like a valley girl....
    Ok, so what are the risks of using something that you have used dye in? Just asking, for no real life reason. You know, just a hypothetical.
    (5*) ****

(5#)####

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    Ok, so what are the risks of using something that you have used dye in? Just asking, for no real life reason. You know, just a hypothetical.
    Anything you use dye in will be stained by the dye, so if you used a cooking pot for dyeing something black and then cooked with that pot, your food would have black dye in it. Plastic is the worst about soaking up plastic, but even metal will be stained by it to varying degrees.
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive

Quote Originally Posted by Net-Viper X View Post
    Anything you use dye in will be stained by the dye, so if you used a cooking pot for dyeing something black and then cooked with that pot, your food would have black dye in it. Plastic is the worst about soaking up plastic, but even metal will be stained by it to varying degrees.
    Ah I see. That would explain why I can no longer see the metal shining through the holes in the teflon coating.
    (5*) ****

(5#)####

Quote Originally Posted by fat_kids_joes View Post
    I'm also interested in the dying process... so that helps indeed! Quick question, what if I use Acetone first? I found that Acetone removes the clear finish on figs and makes them more mat... so adherence for new paint (and dye) is better.

True?
    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

My lists: For sale/ for trade, Wanted