Flagg Flight Deck discoloration fixes ? - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hey Tolan,

so i guess there was a running change in the ABS plastic dye for the Flagg? so what i'm seeing with the light grey deck vs the top portion aren't varying degrees of color fade, but they're actually from two different manufacturing runs?

do you know what brand interior spray paint you used?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by chebosto View Post
    Hey Tolan,

So I guess there was a running change in the plastic dye for the Flagg?

So what I'm seeing with the light gray deck vs the top portion aren't varying degrees of color fade, but they're actually from two different manufacturing runs?

Do you know what brand interior spray paint you used?

1.Yes

2.The 99 deck piece is the darker version. The other deck parts - fore main and elevator- look to have the same fade-then the next two-aft main and aft deck - have a similar fade but different than the other two.

3. SEM provided the best results - multiple steps. Colorbond was very good - single step. Duplicolor was by far the worst result-avoid.
    Inevitably successful in all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolan View Post
    1.Yes
    3. SEM provided the best results - multiple steps. Colorbond was very good - single step. Duplicolor was by far the worst result-avoid.
    for the SEM,
    did you do PLASTIC & LEATHER PREP or PLASTIC ADHESION PROMOTER prior to painting? and for the flex paint was the product called Color Coat Flex?

thanks in advanced for answering my questions.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

for the SEM,
    did you do PLASTIC & LEATHER PREP or PLASTIC ADHESION PROMOTER prior to painting? and for the flex paint was the product called Color Coat Flex?

thanks in advanced for answering my questions.
    PLASTIC ADHESION PROMOTER and Color coat
    Inevitably successful in all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by navy viper View Post
    Do you think that solution would work to clean up some old SKYSTRIKER shells I have ?. What is a gallon of 20VOL H202 and where would I go to find it ? I've heard of these solutions before, & I think I'm ready to spend some money on this to get some SKYSTRIKER's air worthy again
    The SKYSTRIKER is not made from the same plastic as the Flagg. The flagg parts are made from a dense, extremely chemical resistant plastic that handles oxidizers without batting an eye. The SKYSTRIKER is made from a much softer plastic that does not like oxidizers. Most attempts at removing discoloration on the SKYSTRIKER end with it taking off the shinny surface and replacing it with a dull surface.

If you are going to do it, then you should start with a weak solution (say 7% from the drug store) and test on a small part. Make sure you like the result before you spend a lot of $$ and destroy your SKYSTRIKER . Just my 2 cents....
    Last edited by myst32yt; 07-05-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: add quote
    Remove all the yellow from your FLAGG....
    http://chemkitdepot.com/ussflagg10pi...ationpack.aspx

20Vol is 20% solution of Hydrogen Peroxide. The solution i purchased was from Sally's Beauty Supply (H202 is used to bleach hair prior to color dyeing) you can get weaker or stronger solution from a variety of places... but typically the stronger solution is found at beauty salons/supply stores or even medical supply places.

the addition of Oxy Clean (or any "oxy-like" cleaning powder) acts to speed up the chemical reaction to reverse the yellowing... be forewarned: this will remove all stickers from whatever is submerged, and may affect any painted surfaces. I dont think the skystriker shells have any paint on them, so you should be ok..

i just removed the lower superstructure from the tub yesterday, and i'm super happy. the entire superstructure is now a new-ish light grey and no longer yellow... the worse was the radome, and that is literally like nothing happened....

time to focus of the flight deck...
    Thanks buddy- did you mean the Sally's beauty salon at a Wal-Mart super center?

Quote Originally Posted by navy viper View Post
    Thanks buddy- did you mean the Sally's beauty salon at a Wal-Mart super center?
    Ha. Honestly i have no Clue.. the Walmarts close to me are all in the super ghetto areas (think: people shot on black friday, day after christmas, etc) so i don't really go in them. but this is the URL of the store chain that i went to:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/

but you can goto any beauty supply place to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolan View Post
    PLASTIC ADHESION PROMOTER and Color coat

thanks, i'll look for it this weekend....