SDCC 2012: Hasbro and IDW Panel!

yojoe.com

SDCC 2012: Hasbro and IDW Panel!

Phil reports from this morning's IDW panel!...

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with our sponsor Collectibles Insurance.

The recently concluded "IDW and Hasbro" panel showcased IDW's plans for G.I. Joe in the coming months.

The main G.I. Joe title will wrap up its storyline with August's issue 16. Both the Cobra and Snake Eyes titles will also see their current arcs end in issue 16, with some big revelations. With October's issue 18s, the 6 issue crossover Target: Snake Eyes begins!

The Oktober Guard will make their debut in IDW's universe, too!

Finally, the first issue in the Danger Girl and G.I. Joe crossover is out now.

After discussing IDW's other Hasbro-related properties, including a new My Little Pony series, it was time for some Q & A.

- IDW is currently taking a wait and see approach for the long-awaited G.I. Joe and Transformers crossover. Nothing's planned right now, though.

- There is no current knowledge about future movie-verse comics.

- IDW has talked about doing hardcovers for their G.I. Joe universe issues - putting all the titles in the hardcover, in chronological order. Like the Transformers crossover, it's a wait and see approach.

- IDW has no idea if any of their original characters are planned to come out as toys.

- If Flint Dille ever gets to write a G.I. Joe title, he fully intends Hector Ramirez to show up.

- With the multiple continuities IDW publishes for Joe, there was some concern different creative teams might end up stepping on each others' toes. IDW feels that the universes have such different feels that if common elements or plot points show up, they will be handled very differently.

- Someone asked Larry Hama about the real name of Snake Eyes. Though Devil's Due gave him one, Larry didn't read the issues, and feels that Snake Eyes would have a very boring name, like John Doe. Truthfully, he writes his stories page by page, so he hasn't thought that far ahead. In G.I. Joe's 21, Silent Interlude, he didn't figure out Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes had the same tattoo until page 17, and even then he didn't know why that was or what it meant.

- Larry's also had to work from covers before. Back in the days of the animated commercials, he had to come up with issue covers months in advance. He didn't know what the storyline would eventually be, but knew it had to include those figures and vehicles, in a situation similar to the cover!

- Once again, he reiterated the fact that he created the Baroness because none of the 1982 Cobra characters could show their face. He needed a character that could emote.

- A random question out of right field: Would there be a G.I. Joe/S.H.I.E.L.D. crossover? IDW just responded that that would be cool.

View the gallery, including slideshow pics, here!

For more great Comic Con photos, click here!

For a great selection of G.I. Joe and military-themed action figures, comics and collectibles, check out SmallJoes.com, Guru Planet, BigBadToyStore.com, MonkeyDepot.com, BriansToys.com, and ToyWiz.com.
    The Biggest Selection of GI Joe Comics at GrahamCrackers.com.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

thanks for the indepth report and Snake Eyes still has no name..

Thanks Phil for the good update, surprisingly how little news that is but

OCTOBER GUARD all alive again is AWESOME!!!!!!

Watch out chickens, here comes HorrorShow.
    GI Joe comic fan since 1982.