Dead Joes - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dead Joes

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Evil Ryu:
    Sorry, got Tripwire confused with Flash. Thanks for the info. Were the ones that were shot just wounded?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No prob; I figured as much. [img]smile.gif[/img] Since Brandon Jerwa himself hasn't mentioned the wounded as dead on his message board, I'm guessing that the Joes wounded in #25 (Outback springs to mind, but I don't remember any others offhand) will make a full recovery.
    Follow me on Twitter: @mikeirizarry1 and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/whatsonjoemind

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by theterminator69:
    I dont Agree with Devils crap comics so therefore it does not apply to me!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

comics only apply to comics, Marvel or Devils Due, not you as a person.

Looks like Heavy Duty may also have died at the hands of some NeoVipers.

As for danyanda's list, let me add my two cents.....

Snakeeye returnning form the dead was always explained in context as relating to ninja training, like it or not.

Stormshadow's death/rebirth was planned as such from the moment he was shot. It fit in with Hama's moral ladder.

I tend to think Zartan and Billy were planned to return. Hama himself said that Firefly was never intended to stay dead. (Early issues of the series support this claim. Firefly was always present on the sidelines of important stuff.)

Cobra Commander is a badguy, so it is okay for him to comeback. (Even if it is backpeddalling by Hama.) Scarlett was a cheap backpedal.....

Serpentor was dead, but ressurected. Either way, he and Baroness, and Mindbender were badguys. So, aback they come........

I also recall Baroness being seriously injured twice. Which were you referencing?

Oh, the October Guard stayed pretty well dead. And, they died messy.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Snake Eyes - how many times did he buy it early on in the series? His heart stopped at least twice (issue 10 with Dr Venom, and issue 95 with the Paine Brothers), and he was bombed in issue 13. Then the was the time that Cobra troopers hit him with dozens of grenades in Sierra Gordo or somewhere. There are really too many to count.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate to nitpick, but like it was said before, it was Snakes ninja training that stopped his own heart. He was in a fortified concrete bunker when the Baroness tried to blow it up. Also, when Snakes was fragged in Sierra Gordo, it was specifically stated that they used stun grenades because Dr. Brainwave intentioned on taking Snakes back to the CCB to interrogate him.

I don't like bringing back characters either. If they die, they should die. That is life. I always found it odd that a large-scale war could happen between the Joes and Cobra, and none of the Joes, and only expendable Cobras would die. Trucial Abysma had realism to it, but it was very blatant how Mr. Hama threw in a big ragtag bunch of vehicle drivers and rarely used characters to offer them up in appeasement to the "realism" trend that was going on at that time. Breaker and Doc were surprising, but they already had replacements at that point anyway.

Mr. Jerwa seems to have taken it a baby step forward, allowing well-developed characters like Chuckles and Main-Frame to be terminated, but then once again Serpentor is still hanging around. *sigh*

All that said, I can see why killing off characters is hard for writers. Since this comic is only published once a month, it takes time to introduce characters and have the readers get to know them. Killing them off at that point seems like a waste of time. On the other hand, popping in a character just to kill him off in the same episode (*cough cough* Cool Breeze *cough cough*), seems pretty cheap too. The "Greenshirts" were a good alternative conjured up by Mr. Blaylock, but once again, they just seemed to be dead men walking.

So is there anyway to handle this without causing problems with some fans? Hell no!!! All writers seems to struggle with it, and we fans have to accept certain things in this Joe Universe. The most important is - TIME IS RELATIVE. Next, if it can fit into the storyline somehow, accept it. It was much easier for me as a kid though. LOL

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shane Davis:

On the other hand, popping in a character just to kill him off in the same episode (*cough cough* Cool Breeze *cough cough*), seems pretty cheap too.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

.......or Mariner.

Mariner hasn't gotten drowned yet...soon...just not yet! lol

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by danyanda:
    and that was all in the Marvel run.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen danyanda

Comics are supposed to be the hardcore reality addon to such characters anyways so death is a acceptable risk in the story lines I figure.

Anyobody ever kill Crystal Ball..........lol
    <A HREF="http://www.toy-classifieds.com/" TARGET=_blank>Toy-classifieds.com</A>

I think Hama tried to kill characters as much as they would let him.

Think about this... Nearly all of his big "Non Toy" characters were killed...

Kwinn
    Dr Venom
    Gen. Flagg just to name a few...

The only context for Crystal Ball lists him as dead.

He got a trading card in an old set about 12 years back. It listed him as having been lost in the collapse of Cobra La.