Master & Apprentice#1 Kamakura's ID Revealed (Spoilers) - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I know it fellows the Marvel series, i have many issues of Marvels.

But i'm just saying that they don't have to overdo it, like Serpetors return and the kid, why not make new characters.
    Good, soldier.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

i like the story cant wait to see what happens next, see if and when kamakura settles the score with firefly
    Dreadnok for life!
    Holodna hmoora. Eemruchnoh v'doosheh. Kak mohg znat ya shtoh tee oomriosh? Do svidonia, byehreg rodnoy. Do svidonia, byehreg rodnoy. Kak nam troodnag pridstahvit shtoh eto nyeh sohn. Rodina, dom radnoy,Do svidonia Rodina.

Guys, you ought to do yourselves a favor and buy the collected trade paperbacks of the old marvel series, because they are hands down the best source of Joe fiction out there. Larry Hama is the only person who will ever write true Joe stories to me. He adds so much realism to everything, while having incredible stories and he has a great sense of humor. Once you read the old series you will find a new appreciation for the new stuff, and I bet you will be clamoring for more nods to the Hama series. The new comics, unfortunately, will always be relegated to Joe lite fiction to me, along with the cartoon and movie.
    Whatever doesn't make me stronger only kills me

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Well, it is good to see the reason that Frontline was put on hiatus. Hopefully at the conclusion of M&A, Frontline will be back.

The funny thing is that M&A is a perfect story for Frontline. This is exactly what I envisioned that Frontline would bring to the table. The ability to show missions, stories, and events that we didn't get in the regular continuity.

Having grown up with the Marvel series, and having the collection, I will say that Sean is (and always has been) the son of the original Fred. Wade Collins became Fred II and later in the series, Stalker and Snake-Eyes helped Wade start a new life where he adopted the two children and married the original Fred's wife. Later in the series, Snakes brought a young girl with him back from a mission (to Borovia IIRC), and Wade adopted her as well. In the last issue of the Marvel series, Sean and Snakes exchanged letters. Fans of the Marvel series picked that up right away when reading this issue, and the conversation between Sean and Wade brought everyone else up to speed, so to speak.

I too hold the Marvel series to a much higher standard. Mr. Hama IS G.I.Joe, make no mistake. That said, I really enjoy what Mr. Jerwa has done so far. He has a great grasp of the Joe mythos and I his style is a bit Hama-esque. I was enjoying the DD series mostly because it was a Joe comic than the quality of it. Brandon has added more to it for me.

About the storyline. It was interesting to see Snakes so motivated to take out Firefly. This is the same guy that walked away from Firefly when he had the chance to kill him, and the same guy that has stopped Stormy on numerous "revenge" encounters. It doesn't surprise me that Snakes would blow off his wedding day, given his mess of an emotional life, but I do have to question the true relationship between him and Ophelia.

Sean's motivation is also interesting. Could he remember Firefly from the time he and Destro came to the original Fred's house to plot their attack on Snakes? Maybe Wade informed him on how Firefly is connected to a lot of the pain Snakes has been through? Of course getting a car bomb could be motivation enough.

All in all a great start to an arc that I have been hoping to be revealed for some time. Personally, I enjoy the connections between the DD and Marvel series. I did not like the Serpentor arc though. I didn't like him the Marvel series and I sure didn't like Mr. Blaylock bringing him back in the DD series. I am excited for the next one.

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shane Davis:
    The funny thing is that M&A is a perfect story for Frontline. This is exactly what I envisioned that Frontline would bring to the table. The ability to show missions, stories, and events that we didn't get in the regular continuity.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, DD marketed Frontline as a story line of G.I. Joe in the time between 1994 and 2001. However, they turned it into a "Special Missions" type line of issues. What a waste. I also agree M&A should've fit inside of the Frontline issues.

I do like the M&A story. But as good as Snakes is, for the sake of the story, he does "fail" alot of missions. The bad guys always seem better than Snakes, in the DD series. I think DD should find better ways of letting the Bad Guys go for the next issues, so Snakes doesn't become more of a liability rather than an asset.

Now did Duke call in Snakes, or did Snakes just know about the op to get Firefly?

Also, what hurt is Sean talking about? Ophelia was the only Operative lost in that mission, and she wasn't in Sean's immediate team and he didn't even know her...???
    Spirit: "When next we meet?"
    Stormie: "We meet as enemies!"

whats with these movie ripoff titles first it was the Matrix like "Reloaded" and now its the Star Wars "master and apprentice"..

Is it that hard to to come up with an original name or title here?!

Nevermind the titles, the whole renegade BAT storyline smacked of terminator to me.
    Whatever doesn't make me stronger only kills me

yep!The super bat was a bite off the TX!

[ June 06, 2004: Message edited by: Crimson Immortal ]

whats with these movie ripoff titles first it was the Matrix like "Reloaded" and now its the Star Wars "master and apprentice"..

I saw the Star Wars movies. Regretfully including the last two crapfests. None of them were named "Master and Apprentice". What are you talking about some paperback?

I sure am glad I went back to get this one after all!