Joe CCG news - Page 3

yojoe.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Joe CCG news

Ok.. Showing my age here. How do you play these card games? I go into a local comic book store and I see a crap load of people sitting at tables with what looks like baseball card type fantasy cards. It looks sorta.. nerdy.. However how does it work? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It really depends on the game and the mechanics behind how the game is played. The best way to learn is a.) read the rule book and b.) show up at a store when others are playing the game and c.) ask lots of questions. If you do all 3, you'll have whatever game your trying to learn, within a few days. Once you get past the rules, playing rocks.

Tanner
    Vehicle Parts Need List || Weapons Need List || For Sale Thread
    ==================================================
    I played, ate and slept Joe as a kid and yet as an adult I still can't get enough of it! ! !

Check out the main page of the site for a sneak peek at art from the game and more!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

GBPackrat thanks for the reply. I think maybe my question wasn't clear enough. Is the card game a numbers based thing where one character has a higher number than another one? Is it a dice rolling D&D type of thing. I really don't know.

I would feel very strange to approach a group of 11 years old playing at a table in the comic book shop and start talking to them. I usually arrest guys like that.

I'll use Magic the Gathering(MTG) as a example as its the biggest of these types of Card Games.

Each player builds a deck of cards, the rule book with specify any particular rules on deck building. In MTG you need at least 60 cards and can't have more than 4 of each card.

In MTG you represent a Wizard fighting another Wizard and your deck is all your spells, you can bring out Creature cards, Dragons, Soldiers, Demons, etc or cast spells that hurt them, help you, gain life, gain extra turns, etc.

You go back and forth, attacking with your creatures/spells, defending against his attacks all using the cards in your deck until someone wins.

Pretty general I know but most games are similar, you have your deck and you have specific goals in mind. Odds are with Joe each Character will have stats printed on the card and these will be used in battle with the other players.
    ReilToys has closed - thanks for all the memories guys!

Broken down even further, it's simply a strategy game with cards instead of any of the traditional types of pieces you'd normally play strategy games with.

Basically speaking, each card is either. . .

(a.) a character/monster card featuring a personality with certain abilities. Anything like a basic Pokemon, a Nazgul, or General Obi-Wan

(b.) a land or setting card (depending on the game) that gives certain advantages to monsters in that setting. Whether it's land cards to generate magic energy in MTG, Stadium cards as in Pokemon, or Cloud City in Star Wars, the setting/land cards enhance the game in some way.

(c.) Effect cards that enhance the game further. Interrupt cards can be played to foil an opponents strategy. Draw Obi-Wan's lightsaber and enhance your hero w/a better weapon on the field. These are the cards that "do stuff" during the game. Most if not all have situational restrictions so you need to play them at the right time.

Then you customize the deck to suit your strategy. But you can only go so far as the rules say for whatever game you're playing.

For example, the GIJoe CCG might say, "No more than one Duke, Serpentor, or USS Flagg per deck." . . .or something to that effect. This is so the theme or genre won't get too unbalanced. A dozen Harry Potters on the board is just silly. Make sense? Tournament rules are even more strict on these things.

Finally, whoever has the better built deck according to the most effective strategy will theoretically win the most games. But that's the fun because even the best built deck can run into a random turn that the opponent can exploit. Which is why players take frequent breaks to "adjust" their deck with different cards from time-to-time.

See? Simple.

[img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

-PJ

Just saw a booster box being pre sold online for $50 with $8 shipping and handling. This by far is the cheapest I have seen it. If I hadn't already pre ordered mine via online store for $63 I would have jumped at the price. Just a heads up for those who plan to buy.

Oh BTW, anyone hear if they will have any promo cards at the Chi-Town Convention since that is the weekend they will hit the stores?

Tanner
    Vehicle Parts Need List || Weapons Need List || For Sale Thread
    ==================================================
    I played, ate and slept Joe as a kid and yet as an adult I still can't get enough of it! ! !