What do you use to seal your figs?

yojoe.com

What do you use to seal a newly painted custom? Testor's dullcoat? Or something else. Also, any tips would be helpful, thanks.
    Selling out! LMK what you need!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

note: most of this does not work well on the rubbery parts.

i do a layer of paint, then a layer of clear coat and paint mix, then another layer of clear coat or two. i also lightly sand all of the pieces before painting.

i have found for joints, take the figure apart, sand down the joints quite a bit to make room for the paint, paint and replace. this helps keep the joints from scraping the paint off.

hope this helps.

Cool

I use the regular acrylic gloss clearcoat you'd find at Home Depot. Simple and veeerry effective.

HOWEVER, it's gloss coat. It makes the custom look like a new toy right off the line, as if Hasbro had made it. If you want your custom to look "realistic", then you'll wanna go with what is caled a "matte" dullcoat.

It's your choice. But if I were you, I'd want to seriously think about what it would look like standing next to your other Joes before you tried either clearcoat.

-PJ

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I usually use Acryl flat clear coat. I usually have to use gloss paints to be economical and the flat works every time to give a cloth like appearance and seal the figure at the same time.

It's ghetto, but I couldn't find any clear coat stuff...the closest thing was a can of acryllic paint varnish..so I got that. It made the figures a little on the glossy side, but it's ok.