What would you do about this auction?

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question What would you do about this auction?

I won an auction.

The price quoted for shipping was $15.

I sent payment.

Now the seller tells me he misquoted shipping, that he was told an incorrect amount by the Post Office and the actual shipping is $35 now. He wants the additional $20 or he will refund the purchase.

I kind of want my item but..........

What would you do?
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

You can’t stop the signal

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

he listed the shipping. his mistake he has to eat it.

but a compromise would be to tell him to ship the item and if the shipping on the package matches what he is claiming you will pay him the rest to cover it.

I guess in my opinion it comes down to this, What was it and even though he quoted you $15 do you think he is lying about it actually costing 35 to ship or was he mad it sold low so now he is trying to jack the price up.Did it say in the auction it was 15 or did he email that quote to you?
    I just started my ebay store, take a look
    MY EBAY STORE<br>more to come soon
    Check out my ebay auctions as well MY EBAY AUCTIONS
    I was using searchforjoes for a while but found my old name.I am looking for moc figures and weapons, send me your lists!!!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Arrow

The item sold for $9.99.

Shipping was quoted as "US Postal Service Priority Mail: US $15.00"

I kind of like BigFan's approach

Personally when I undercharge even if it was by a lot, I eat the cost.

It's been a couple of years since I took business law, but I believe when an offer is made and an acceptance of said offer is made in a timely manner, you are bound to honor the deal.

I have underestimated shipping costs many times and each time I ate the loss.

Also, I would never pay more after agreeing to a set price, just because that could encourage the behavior in the future.

One option is to have him ship the item by some other method. I would be willing to guess that UPS ground would be closer to $15 then the $35, but I don't have all the details. Sure it would take you a little longer then you would like, but at least you'd get the item you wanted.

Good luck in getting it taken care of!

Arrow His email

Well I don't want to misquote him so here is the email I got from him after he tried to mail it.

I have your check and it cleared, but shipping is putting me in a position in which I regret to admit. I was misinformed about the price of shipping costs by the post office and when I went in to mail the package, they told me it would be outrageously more to ship. They had told me that their oversize package requirements were 128inches for the package and anything under that would be around $15 to ship. I should have known better, but when I went to check on this and send the package they informed me that someone misquoted the number, it's actually 108inches. Because of this, the cardboard slip that the standee is in, is 17inches too long. UPS and Fedex are much less expensive, but the shipping now comes to $35, instead of the $15 agreed shipping cost when the auction was won. I have never mailed a package like this and I apologize for my lack of knowledge in this situation, but the shipping is now a problem. I am unable to make up for the $20 difference, so I would like to hear your opinion on the subject. I am contacting ebay to seek their advice, but I don't know exactly what to do at this point. I am unsure whether a full refund is appropriate, if so I would get it in money order form so that it won't take time to clear like a personal check would. Or if you would like to check the shipping options and cover the extra expense, that may be an option. The dimensions for the package are 10 lbs., it's 39" x 1" x 43". The shipping postal code is 52240, Iowa City, IA. I am very sorry about this, please let me know what your preference is, and I will see what ebay has to say in regards to this situation.

You honestly don't owe him anything. A seller on ebay is protected when someone bids. You made a contract. It would be like you saying you want to pay less than your winning bid.

If you must compromise, at most you should pay half the difference: $10.00

The seller is obviously inexperienced with so little selling feedback and also could be upset that their starting price was also the high bid
    My G.I. Joe Store
    $1.99 or less bargains! (with low prices in ALL categories)
    --» Wanted

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick A. Riley
    If you must compromise, at most you should pay half the difference: $10.00
    And that is what I just did offer. That was my first thought as well.

Thanks

He agreed to the terms when a bid was placed. As eBay states the terms are binding. Of course, that does no good if he simply refunds the money & only leaves you with feedback as an option.

Legally he has to ship it for what he quoted.

I see he is new to eBay, so he probably did make an honest mistake though.
    Last edited by KtownJoes; 07-16-2004 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Typos

i know what to do

okay, I just had this same problem in shipping a terror drome.

Ask the seller to do a little custom work. Have him cut the corner. Then tape that flap about about 5 or 6 inches further in. I know that my explanation is pitiful, but if you do this right, your box is now 5-sided, instead of four. Meanwhile, you just cut out a bunch of distance around the box...(try the Pythagorean Theorm if you don't agree). Better yet, if possible, do this to the other side as well.

It'll take him maybe 30-60 minutes and some tape, but it'll work.